Pressure from parent :( Switching from pre-med to pre-PA to pre-nurse

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

inquisitivegirl2731

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been a very hard-working student for a long time (took 11 AP classes in high school and passed them all; currently a 4th year undergrad with a 3.9 GPA for my neuroscience degree), but my focus on years and years of a heavy school workload have recently made me more depressed with not getting a lot of social time.

I wanted to become a PA to have a greater work-life balance and to curb my stress, but regrets from not doing well in my first job as an ER scribe (couldn't manage the 25 hours/week while I was a full-time student and transferring into my university) has made me consider becoming a nurse first after I graduate so I can ease into the field better, enjoy the longer patient interactions, get a variety of health care experience, and make some more friends.

My mom definitely was happier when she could brag that I was a pre-med student. PA, physician assistant, sounds like a "limitation". "Do you want to become a PA so you can earn less money?", despite all my attempts to explain the profession to her. Now I want to become a nurse to open the doors for me to become a PA or NP. I don't even want to tell her :'(

Members don't see this ad.

At the end of the day its your life and not hers, do what YOU feel compelled to do.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I couldn't care less what my parents should think my professional goals should be. They put in their input from time to time.

This issue seems to be more common among women than men, or at least they post about it more.

Be whatever you want.

Also, medical scribing is intense.

Reactions: 1 user
1) Everyone in healthcare is rushed... nurses, physicians, PA's, NPs, etc. You won't be spending time enjoying being with your patients, because you will have other places to be.
2) Spending time with patients isn't that exciting. They are usually seeing you because they are uncomfortable, are usually inconvenienced by the circumstances, and usually aware of the expense of the encounter. Often they are scared. Sometimes there are things you can do to help with that, but usually you are operating at a pace that is set by someone other than you, which adds to the frustration.
3) Being a nurse won't be very useful towards easing you into any field other than NP. The prereqs for medicine and PA are usually different enough that it takes quite a bit of effort to move over to that path. Its not an efficient use of your time to jump from nursing to medical school.

I've been a very hard-working student for a long time (took 11 AP classes in high school and passed them all; currently a 4th year undergrad with a 3.9 GPA for my neuroscience degree), but my focus on years and years of a heavy school workload have recently made me more depressed with not getting a lot of social time.

I wanted to become a PA to have a greater work-life balance and to curb my stress, but regrets from not doing well in my first job as an ER scribe (couldn't manage the 25 hours/week while I was a full-time student and transferring into my university) has made me consider becoming a nurse first after I graduate so I can ease into the field better, enjoy the longer patient interactions, get a variety of health care experience, and make some more friends.

My mom definitely was happier when she could brag that I was a pre-med student. PA, physician assistant, sounds like a "limitation". "Do you want to become a PA so you can earn less money?", despite all my attempts to explain the profession to her. Now I want to become a nurse to open the doors for me to become a PA or NP. I don't even want to tell her :'(

It's your life. Who cares what they think? My parents gave me that song and dance when I turned down medical school and my Psych programs to pursue an AuD.. Are there frustrating, mundane aspects of my job I don't like? Yep that's any job, but overall I like what I do. My only gripe is the pay could be higher, but hoping that will change over time.

Being a PA is a good gig (I looked into it after becoming an audiologist), but you will be under the control of a physician. So depending on their personality and specialty that can make for a tough overworked no social time life. If you want to become a PA nursing will not help as PA programs want experience in healthcare (usually EMT, medical assistant) and a pre-med degree to enter them. They are also intensive programs! You won't have a social life for the 2 years of a PA program!

Nursing will not give you more patient interactions. You will see more patients probably (usually to your detriment!), and often times the nurse takes the brunt of the frustrations the patient has. "They pharmacy didn't get me my meds, the cafeteria didn't get my food right, the doctor hasn't come seen me, the doctor hasn't order test XYZ, etc.". I was in nursing school and trust me usually most patients feel that big white H with a blue background stands for hotel, not hospital. We always had way more patients than we could handle. Had to do tons of med pass. Nursing care plans were the bane of my existence! You would spend less than 5 minutes doing a procedure on a patient (say catheter insertion or wound vac) and then spend 15-20 minutes documented said procedure and writing a nursing care plan. You also got the crap jobs other professions didn't want to do. OT needed to work on shaving or brushing teeth? "Nurse this patient needs their teeth brushed or the patient in bed 3 needs shaved. Those are nursing activities. OT will work on this in outpatient once they are discharged for inpatient". It was maddening!

Making friends in nursing? Sorry I don't see that happening either. I have worked with women most of my life in multiple jobs and some of the most petty and catty situations I have ever seen occurred on a nursing floor! There is a saying, "nurses eat their own", and boy oh boy is that correct! It's part of the reason I didn't stay in nursing. I got tired of feeling like I was back in middle school again.

I will say nursing is a good field in terms of your vastness of jobs and if you get tired of one type of nursing it's very easy to transition to something else without requiring a new degree.

I agree with another poster above that most of the people who liked nursing were the ones who had an end game. I was in it to become an FNP and I had no desire to ever do floor nursing or any other job in nursing. I was there to get my RN to move onto my MSN FNP.

So I guess in short I would say if you don't want to be a doctor then don't. It's a ton of years of your life and debt to be doing something you might not enjoy just to please people who if they loved you would support you doing what makes you happy (short of being a painter or artist sorry but you need to have a career that can pay the bills!). PA school sounds like it might be more up your alley since you would have a career with a wide latitude for scope of practice and more relaxed work/life balance.

Wow, where do I begin...

1. I think you really just need a break. Honestly, your original intention was spot on. PA life is very good. The money is good. The work-life balance is good. You can go in to any field you want afterwards. You're respected and you have ample opportunity to learn. I think it's a good field for people who don't want to go through medical school but want to work at a high level in medical care. Short of going to medical school, I thinks its the best medical training you can get. It is certainly intense and not easy in any sense of the word, but overall it's a reasonable experience in light of the responsibility you will have afterwards. Also, you can have a social life in PA school, just don't let it be the only part of your life! And don't worry about being overworked as a PA, there are good jobs and bad jobs out there. It's really all up to how you handle yourself. It's a great life and very rewarding. I am not just saying these things, I am in a place to know.

2. Your experiences as an ER scribe while going to school full-time are not really predictive of an inability to ease in to the PA field. Scribing is an intense kind of entry-level job and it's not great fit for everyone, especially if you're trying to maintain a sky high GPA. Obviously you were going to have a hard time working a half-time job and attend to your undergraduate studies full time, that's a lot to ask of an undergraduate student and your experience is perfectly understandable. I wouldn't let one bad experience make you think you can't hack it in the PA world.

3. What it really sounds like to me is that you're a little burned out after 4 years, trying to maintain such a high GPA and it's messing with your self confidence a little bit. If I were you, I would consider focusing all of your remaining energy on graduating from undergrad with a great GPA, then going to work in something to recharge your batteries for a year. Do something amazing, rewarding, selfless and exciting. Build homes in Central America. Work on clean water initiatives in the third world. Green Peace, Peace Corps. Travel the world and see some shyt. When you come back to apply for PA school or medical school, they'll ask you all about your Gap year. Let me tell you, they love that stuff.

4. Also, I wanted to mention something to you about your nursing idea. Nursing is really tough. If you just want to ease in to something easy, forget about nursing. There's an old saying: "Nurses eat their young". It's very true. I have seen so many young nurses reduced to tears after getting destroyed by their senior nurses on the wards for seemingly minor mistakes. It's not that they're bad people mind you, it's just that they have to deal with so much crap, the last thing a senior RN wants to deal with is a new grad who needs a lot of hand-holding. It's just such a tough and under-appreciated field, I really feel for nurses who have to deal with so much crap, being over-worked and under-staffed. You can do very well in nursing, don't get me wrong. You can work your way up to a 6 figure salary, you can become a CRNA or an NP, you can even end up running a hospital someday, but it's not an easy field to work in when you're new. Again, I am not just saying these things, I have witnessed all of this and am in a place to know.

5. After taking that break, make sure you figure out what you really want. Maybe you should become a PA, because that is what's best for your sanity. Maybe you should become a nurse, because that is the type of care you want to give. Maybe you should become a doctor because you want to be the expert and are fully prepared for the challenge. Just do your research.

6. As far as your parents wanting you to become a physician, help them understand what that entails. Unless they're physicians themselves, they likely have no idea. It is a course of study significantly more difficult than anything else you can do in healthcare. The constant studying, the constant pressure to perform, the intensity of the boards, the pressure of clinical rotations, building a CV for residency, all of it. It's an absolute crucible that takes a real toll on you as a person. So many otherwise bright and vibrant people become absolutely routed by the entire experience. Even worse, some people just don't bounce back either. Help them to understand what they are asking you to do.

Last edited: