President of SCCM is a NP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sylvanthus

Attending
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone explain this to me? From my understanding nurses continually state they practice nursing not medicine, so how/why is a nurse the President of the Society of Critical Care MEDICINE?

Anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

WTF?????!!!!????

WTF

http://www.sccm.org/About-SCCM/Leadership/Pages/President.aspx

Please -- if you are not a physician, do not reply. I am not interested in a long thread about MD vs. RN.

Will some physician please explain this to me before my head explodes?

(I am sure there is some doc who will try to say I am over-reacting, but come on!!...)

HH

Members don't see this ad :)
Meh. I got my panties all in a wad about this, too. Coming from anesthesiology, I have some particular concerns regarding, umm, "advancing" nursing practice.

But, hell, this is the SECOND RN president of SCCM...and a couple of years ago there was a pharmacist. I feel like I missed the angry boat back in 2002, when the first Noctor was president. It's a little silly getting bent outta shape now.

...doesn't make it suck any less, however.

http://www.sccm.org/About-SCCM/Leadership/Pages/Past-Presidents.aspx

It could be that physicians were beat out for the position but I get the feeling the more likely scenario is that there were several physicians positioned and qualified to take on that role who didn't want it. You can't be upset by someone else carrying the clipboard when you refused to take it...

It could be that physicians were beat out for the position but I get the feeling the more likely scenario is that there were several physicians positioned and qualified to take on that role who didn't want it. You can't be upset by someone else carrying the clipboard when you refused to take it...

That is a pretty large assumption on your part. Regardless, I would think nurses would be in an uproar if an MD/DO was president of the American Association of Critical Care Nursing, so I think it only justified that physicians be annoyed that a nurse is the president of the Society of Critical Care MEDICINE. But, perhaps I was wrong and people just don't give a ****?

Yes -- I am surprised that someone on this forum can't confirm or refute this.

There must be some active SCCM members here.

HH

I am a SCCM member as serve on one of their taskforces. This isn't the first time that a non-physician served a one-year term as President (Maurene Harvey about ten years ago and Judith Jacobi not too long ago). It is a multidisciplinary society, folks. Not a big deal. In fact, if you actually took the time to read through the current President's qualifications (as well as the past Presidents) you'd likely realize that they are very prepared to do what is overwhelmingly an administrative job. The most recent Pres traveled a tremendous amount of the time and was constantly required in meetings, etc. Not the easiest job for a physician to take on, and definitely one that requires a strong academic affiliation. I have no insight into how the selection process unfolds.

Some of you are acting like it is a dictatorship where the new President will come in and say that physicians are no longer needed....The tenor of SCCM is very much multidisciplinary, and my experience working alongside nurses, pharmacists, physical therapists, etc has only cemented by belief that the best critical care is that which brings all of this expertise. Even at ATS this week (which is much more of a physician-oriented conference) there was plenty of stellar work presented by both nurses and physical therapists (i.e. evidence of nurse driven protocols, early ambulation for mechanically ventilated patients, etc).

I would advise everyone to put this job in perspective (SCCM Pres) and relax.