Oversupply of Critical Care Physicans & NP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CCM-MD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
upload_2019-3-16_10-9-15.png

upload_2019-3-16_10-9-38.png

Source: https://bhw.hrsa.gov/sites/default/...arch/projections/critical-care-fact-sheet.pdf

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Thoughts?

Find a job now. Keep it and don’t lose it.

We will have a similar situation to the EM folks. A good part of those jobs will be where no one wants to live and this will definitely over saturated “desirable” markets and this will likely lead to a stagnation and ceiling in pay especially for employed physicians.

Reactions: 2 users
Thoughts?

Find a job now. Keep it and don’t lose it.

We will have a similar situation to the EM folks. A good part of those jobs will be where no one wants to live and this will definitely over saturated “desirable” markets and this will likely lead to a stagnation and ceiling in pay especially for employed physicians.
Imagine if NPs weren't in the way. Suddenly the workload is much higher and jobs are available in far higher quantities. Which beg the question... who trained them?

Members don't see this ad :)
Imagine if NPs weren't in the way. Suddenly the workload is much higher and jobs are available in far higher quantities. Which beg the question... who trained them?

I don’t see them as “being in the way”. If you made them all go away I don’t think it changes anything in critical care.

From the actual article: "The HWSM’s demand projections indicate that all of the demand growth is associated with changes in demographics (the aging of the population and longer life expectancies) and improved disease detection. Together, they suggest that many Americans will be living longer and may potentially require more critical care often provided in intensive care units (ICU). As a result, these projections are reporting a growth in demand for critical care physicians and nurse practitioners. While there is currently an adequate supply of critical care physicians and nurse practitioners to meet this demand growth, the model does not capture the likely shift in care delivery patterns that may occur."

Also, all HRSA workforce studies have the initial assumption that current demand = supply, which means this also undershoots the demand of CC docs from day 1.

Also, it's 2019, which means we're halfway to 2025 (since this study started in 2013). According to the projection, we should have already hit the oversupply point of CC physicians (halfway through gives us a projected supply of 4,500 in 2019 against the 2025 demand of 4,100), and yet there are still a zillion CC jobs you can find in New York City and LA, nevermind in places like suburban Oklahoma.

Reactions: 1 users
I don’t see them as “being in the way”. If you made them all go away I don’t think it changes anything in critical care.
How? It would suddenly spike the workload and demand. Higher work demand = greater need of supply = need more ICU docs.

Reactions: 1 user
How? It would suddenly spike the workload and demand. Higher work demand = greater need of supply = need more ICU docs.

It's not the kind of extra work I want to do. I'm happy to have the APPs putting in orders, on the phone arranging studies and procedures, and taking the cross cover pages

Reactions: 1 users
It's not the kind of extra work I want to do. I'm happy to have the APPs putting in orders, on the phone arranging studies and procedures, and taking the cross cover pages
We should ask our colleagues in Anesthesia if it will stop at the scut work...

Last edited:
News flash, it doesn't as they then begin to think their training is similar to yours and they demand the same respect all the while maintaining nursing hours, nursing work mentality. Yes, nurse proganda machine is better than any politician could muster up.

Reactions: 5 users
Admittedly was surprised to read this but I guess I shouldn’t be. A surplus of CC docs is gonna be hard to fix but probably much easier than in other specialties. I’m in Rad Onc and if there’s a surplus forget it. You’re down the tubes. At least with CC, you have a foundation in IM that you can use to do something else with so they can switch out with relative ease. But seriously don’t wait until it becomes a crisis. Leaders can be slow to react.

Just out of curiosity - If there is an over-supply of CC Physicians/NPs and their salaries take a hit, wouldn't technically NP salaries take a larger hit proportionally, and perhaps swap NPs to go get trained in other fields? They are fluid in their training whereas CC Physicians I guess aren't as much?