MPH Prerequisites for MPH in Epidemiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

failureisnotfatal

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I looked at a lot of websites for MPH admissions at different schools. Most of the schools that I looked at don't have any formal prerequisite requirements. But I am wondering if there are any classes that I could take that would be helpful/look good on my application for the MPH in epidemiology. I know that statistics plays a part in Epi and I have already taken Stats 1 and Stats 2. I have also already taken a beginning biology class. Would it help for me to take Anatomy? I am a psychology major, so I have taken some psychology classes as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello. I looked at a lot of websites for MPH admissions at different schools. Most of the schools that I looked at don't have any formal prerequisite requirements. But I am wondering if there are any classes that I could take that would be helpful/look good on my application for the MPH in epidemiology. I know that statistics plays a part in Epi and I have already taken Stats 1 and Stats 2. I have also already taken a beginning biology class. Would it help for me to take Anatomy? I am a psychology major, so I have taken some psychology classes as well.
The stats courses are good. I honestly don't think taking anatomy will do much.

Do you have any intro to epidemiology courses at your university? I would take some more public health courses to strengthen your application.

We do have an Epidemiology I course. It's full for Spring semester already. I am probably going to take it next spring.

Members don't see this ad :)

Also don't think that anatomy would help that much, might help if you took an overview course with regards to the biology of common health problems and the sociological impact.

Also don't think that anatomy would help that much, might help if you took an overview course with regards to the biology of common health problems and the sociological impact.

Hmm, well then I might not take it if it won't help. I have been thinking about taking this sociobiology class because it seems more specifically related to public health. We also have a class about infectious diseases that I plan to take, but it's not offered this semester. It's always hard finding classes for spring.

I think some schools may require some calculus, especially for an M.S. or for a concentration in epi methods (Harvard's epi methods).

Generally, as long as you have a good foundation in mathematics and one of: biological, environmental, social sciences, you'll be just fine. Epidemiology is quite broad, and you can specialize within something you're comfortable with already or you can dig deeper into an area you're less comfortable with. School allows you to try out lots of areas :)

Generally, as long as you have a good foundation in mathematics and one of: biological, environmental, social sciences, you'll be just fine. Epidemiology is quite broad, and you can specialize within something you're comfortable with already or you can dig deeper into an area you're less comfortable with. School allows you to try out lots of areas :)

Okay. Thanks. I have taken a year of statistics and I am a psychology major (so I have taken and will take psychology classes) and I have taken an intro biology class and plan to take an intro epidemiology class before I graduate so I should be good I think. lol.

A "human diseases" type course might be helpful. Another good elective for your major would be a health/illness psychology course.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Take all the stats you can, not just first year. One of the biggest helps will be knowing how to program in SAS or STATA. They'll know you can hit the ground running when they see it on your app and you'll get a better RA because professors want someone who can do more than a lit search. IMHO.

Take all the stats you can, not just first year. One of the biggest helps will be knowing how to program in SAS or STATA. They'll know you can hit the ground running when they see it on your app and you'll get a better RA because professors want someone who can do more than a lit search. IMHO.
Some schools use R. SPSS is also good to know although not as likely to be used as SAS, STATA, or R in a biostatistics course.

To answer the OP, biostatistics will be very important. Advanced statistics could help but that depends on how much your program emphasizes biostatistics compared to other aspects of epidemiology - mine only required a couple of courses. Your background in bio and psych should prepare you adequately for the other material.