Prereq question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ldc124

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am graduating undergrad in May and am reapplying to schools this summer! For prereqs, if I were to retake Chem 1 in the Fall 2019, would it be okay that when I apply to schools in the summer, I had Chem 1 pending in my application? That way, my old Chem grade (C) won't be counted towards my prerequisite GPA until I receive the new grade after Fall 2019. I just don't know how schools would see that even though I graduated already, I had a course pending still. I would've taken it in the summer but I just have things going on that don't align with the times of the classes! Let me know if anyone has done this before!

Members don't see this ad.

If you are 're-taking' Chem I in the fall, then you can't hide the fact that you already took it. Your original grade will show on your transcript and you will be required to enter it in PTCAS. It will be used to calculate your pGPA and cGPA, there is no way around it. Even if you try to mark it as a science class, but not a prerequisite class, it will be caught in the audit that PTCAS performs before you application is complete. This will look especially fishy since you obviously have Chem II completed on your transcript and PTCAS application.

Yes, you can add it as a course 'in-progress' so that the school is aware that you plan to re-take it. But you won't be able to update your grade on the application until the course is complete and some schools will still use both grades in their calculations (some schools take the higher grade, and some schools average the grades).

If it is your only 'C' on your pre-requisites, it is probably okay, as long as you pGPA still meets the minimum required by the schools to which you are applying.