preparing for the first years of pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Doesn't help when every school website has picture of pharmacists holding up test tubes and Erlenmeyer flasks

Haha! This is so true..

Members don't see this ad.

You have travel to their Brandenton campus at the end of each year to complete all the labs. But they are accredited.

I lived in sarasota for a while i know that campus well, its a decent school, but please look at whats happening in pharmacy.......its very serious.....

Members don't see this ad :)
I lived in sarasota for a while i know that campus well, its a decent school, but please look at whats happening in pharmacy.......its very serious.....
There has got to be a PhD..or at least a masters in here somewhere. Maybe "Denying reality" or the "I've always gotten what I want" fallacy.......This is ridiculous...

There has got to be a PhD..or at least a masters in here somewhere. Maybe "Denying reality" or the "I've always gotten what I want" fallacy.......This is ridiculous...

What do you mean?

Well, since you came from Gatech, you must have heard of OMSCS, OMSA, OMS cybersecurity right?

I am very baffled here. My question is, why pharmacy? really, why pharmacy, especially when you still have several years before attending, and you came from a top engineering school, which offers fully accredited masters degrees in computer science, analytics and cybersecurity, delivered both on-campus and online? The total tuition cost for any of these programs will be less than 1 semester of LECOM. And you can probably start sooner, rather than waiting several years, and god knows how terrible the pharmacist job market will become when you graduate.

Since you had a respectable GPA of 3.8 at Gatech, why not med school? why not computer science, data science or cybersecurity? why pharmacy, which is very obvious now that it has a terribly poor return of investment?
I second this. OP had a 3.8 gpa in biology from GATech. Why not medical school or even nursing school?

Hello,

When I was studying biology at Georgia Tech, I knew I wanted to be a pharmacist. In the middle of my junior year, I got married. It was difficult, but I managed to graduate with a 3.8 GPA and two little kids. I still want to go to pharmacy school, and since I have a family to take care of, LECOM online program seems to be the only reasonable option. I want to wait a few years for my children to get older and use the time to start preparing for pharmacy school. Below I copied the list of courses for the first two years of LECOM distance education program. Can anyone please give me the names of textbooks that are used for any of the courses? You can just look at your syllabi I guess. I would order them now and spend my free time studying. I would appreciate any information you can give me, and that will really enable me to succeed.

P1 Fall

Pharmacy Drugs and Healthcare

Biochemistry I

Pharmaceutics w/lab I

Physiology and Anatomy

Pharmaceutical Calculations

P1 Spring

Biochemistry II

Microbiology and Immunology

Pharmacist Provided Care I

Pharmaceutics w/lab II

Pharmacy Law

Drug Information

Effective Communications

P2 Fall

IPPE Experience

Basic Pharmacokinetics

Research Methods and Pharmacoepidemiology

Pharmacist Provided Care II

Professional Elective

P2 Spring

Pharmacology/Medicinal Chemistry I

Drug Literature Evaluation

Clinical Skills

Pharmacotherapeutics I

Pharmacotherapeutics Recitation I

Pharmacy Practice Essentials I

Professional Elective
Have you worked in a pharmacy? If I were in your shoes, I would consider PA school if you were interested in being a clinician. Less time commitment than pharmacy, and high probability of getting a job afterwards. Plus, you have the grades for PA school. Also, PAs make more than clinical or retail pharmacists, Bill for their service, and prescribe medications.

Reactions: 1 user
Have you worked in a pharmacy? If I were in your shoes, I would consider PA school if you were interested in being a clinician. Less time commitment than pharmacy, and high probability of getting a job afterwards. Plus, you have the grades for PA school. Also, PAs make more than clinical or retail pharmacists, Bill for their service, and prescribe medications.
Can you imagine pharmacists being able to bill for services? haha...

What would they bill for? Smoking cessation? Coumadin monitoring? How much will they get paid by insurance for those services, I wonder

Customers argue over a $1 copay while holding a $5 Starbucks latte in their hand. There's no way they'll be willing to pay for a pharmacist's service, whatever that may be.

Customers argue over a $1 copay while holding a $5 Starbucks latte in their hand. There's no way they'll be willing to pay for a pharmacist's service, whatever that may be.
Looks like customers nowadays view pharmacists as nothing more than cashiers wearing white coats.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
What would they bill for? Smoking cessation? Coumadin monitoring? How much will they get paid by insurance for those services, I wonder
Verifying prescriptions is a service, no? If done correctly. Counseling patients is a service too. MTM is a service. All done on daily basis.

Verifying prescriptions is a service, no? If done correctly. Counseling patients is a service too. MTM is a service. All done on daily basis.

LoL are techs going to bill for data entry and filling too? Those are services too.

LoL are techs going to bill for data entry and filling too? Those are services too.
I would think that's all included in the verification services. I would assume that's how doctors and dentists bill for their services as well.

I would think that's all included in the verification services. I would assume that's how doctors and dentists bill for their services as well.

No, doctors and dentists bill for diagnosis, procedures, labs, visits. No one is going to pay a pharmacist for a visit or labor.