Preparing for GI or other Competitive Fields

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

future_doc9898

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a BS/MD student starting the undergraduate phase of my program. The medical school associated is a solid mid-tier medical school. I am currently interested in pursuing Gastroenterology and am looking at opportunities for basic science research in GI during undergrad. With the intention of pursuing a GI fellowship, would it be better to pursue basic science research opportunities in GI and try to get a few publications or would it be better to pursue basic science research in something more general that could be applicable towards other fields of medicine?

Members don't see this ad.

Way too early. Focus on doing well in med school and getting into a solid IM program.

Reactions: 1 users
It probably doesn't matter too much either way, but obviously GI would be cool, but what are the chances of finding an opportunity like that. Low. Focus on the mentor's qualities and capacity to mentor rather than the topic of the science. You'll get way more out of the experience that way.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If you are seriously considering basic science and GI do both. When it comes to translation or serious careers in bench work or PSTP it can be helpful to get a leg up the more specific and focused your experience is. If you are using it solely as a CV building tool probably doesn't matter what you do as long as you can translate your reasons for doing it. However as someone has already said, there's no substitute for getting into and doing well on your boards and as a solid resident in a solid IM program.

Focus on medical school. Learn the physiology, pathology, immunology, genomics, metabolic, pharmacology and anatomy of GI system & Liver

Agree with making med school and eventually IM your top priority. It's a chain reaction that leads to GI