Preparation for Temple

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
BengaliDocIsl said:
I just finished my letter stating to defer my acceptance until next year. The reason is that I haven't been to my native country in several years and that if I went to medical school there would be no time to take a vacation there. A family member is also getting married there and I would like to attend. Are they going to approve my deferral request? How open is TUSPM to deferring? Anyone know? Thanx.

By the way, sorry for not answering your previous posting about how to go about deferring your admissions at TUSPM, in a timely fashion. I know that some students have deferred their entrance at TUSPM before. If they feel that your reason for deferring a year is warranted, they usually try to accomodate the student. In your situation, I am not sure what would be the best reason to use for deferrment. The reason that you listed is not very good. One of the reason is that you have the summer between your first and second years off. You can potentially go visit your home country during your vacation months. As per your postings in the DO forums, you had indicated that you are wait listed at MSUCOM. In addition, you had indicated that you favor DO profession more than the Podiatry profession at the moment in one of your previous postings in the Podiatry forum. I am assuming that you are using the deferrment as a backup plan if you don't get into MSUCOM from the wait list. I recommend you to re-evaluate your decision to attend podiatry school. Podiatry school is NOT a substitute for MD or DO school. If you want to be a DO, then you should focus your attention in getting into a DO school. If you decide to attend podiatry school after you could not get into DO school, you may not be very happy in podiatry school. I have two classmates who went to podiatry school after not being able to get into MD/DO schools. They were so miserable that they ended up quitting and reapplying to MD/DO schools. If you are truly interested in Podiatry, then go to Podiatry school.

Members don't see this ad.

The last time I checked I thought they were okay with deferrals, but your best bet is to call David Martin and ask him. He'll let you know how lenient they are.

hi guys.
i will be attending TUSPM in the Fall too! as a matter of fact, i just dropped my deposit in the postbox at lunch time lol.
i'm going to be doing the SARP program as well. since i'm an anthropology major, aside from my pre-med and minor requirements, i didn't get to take any extra bio like biochemistry. so any opportunity to get a head start would be lovely!

it would be nice to get to know you all. future doctors. ha!
we should do something online yeah?

Members don't see this ad :)
I wanted to know who took the GRE for Temple and got accepted? What was your score?

mmmgoose said:
hi guys.
i will be attending TUSPM in the Fall too! as a matter of fact, i just dropped my deposit in the postbox at lunch time lol.
i'm going to be doing the SARP program as well. since i'm an anthropology major, aside from my pre-med and minor requirements, i didn't get to take any extra bio like biochemistry. so any opportunity to get a head start would be lovely!

it would be nice to get to know you all. future doctors. ha!
we should do something online yeah?

Welcome to the TUSPM family. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Good luck.

mmmgoose, i think you're right. maybe we could chat about the upcoming term. is anyone else interested?

ilikepod said:
mmmgoose, i think you're right. maybe we could chat about the upcoming term. is anyone else interested?

that would be awesome :thumbup: . do you guys have AIM or Yahoo Messenger on your computers? we can exchange screennames.
if that sounds good to anyone just PM me. i'd love to talk.

just found out today in the mail that TUSPM has deferred my acceptance till next year. yay!!!!

Hello TUSPM family and newbies !!

My name is Jeff McAlister and I will be in charge of the anatomy portion of SARP, focusing mainly on the lower extremity anatomy, and orientation and the big sibling program as well (and also SIP or summer internship program) if any of you are into that). IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS THAT I MIGHT BE ABLE TO ANSWER FOR YOU AND DAVID MARTIN HAS NOT ALREADY, PLEASE ASK AWAY. If you are attending in the fall, then I will be phoning you sooner than later to introduce myself and my co-orientation man, Jashan Valjee. We are delighted to be working these positions and cannot wait to meet all of you.
Talk to you later ! ! ! ! :laugh:

J

dpmjeff77 said:
Hello TUSPM family and newbies !!

My name is Jeff McAlister and I will be in charge of the anatomy portion of SARP, focusing mainly on the lower extremity anatomy, and orientation and the big sibling program as well (and also SIP or summer internship program) if any of you are into that). IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS THAT I MIGHT BE ABLE TO ANSWER FOR YOU AND DAVID MARTIN HAS NOT ALREADY, PLEASE ASK AWAY. If you are attending in the fall, then I will be phoning you sooner than later to introduce myself and my co-orientation man, Jashan Valjee. We are delighted to be working these positions and cannot wait to meet all of you.
Talk to you later ! ! ! ! :laugh:

J

It is good to finally see a current TUSPM student here to answer questions about TUSPM. I am a TUSPM alumni (Class of 2002). I taught SARP when I was a student at TUSPM. I taught the Biochemistry section. How are things at TUSPM these days? I have several TUSPM students who will be externing at my residency program.

Dear Temple family,

I am looking for a new cell phone and was wondering if students need (or are encouraged to get) a Palm pilot, Smartphone, Pocket PC, etc.. or something of the type. When I visited NYCPM, I saw that their students use Palms to take exams and things like that. I was also thinking if there were any Windows Mobile programs to help us study, i.e. Anatomy reviews or anything, it would be helpful to get a more fancy phone. Smartphones are good to keep students organized, as well. Can anyone provide any input on this? Thanks! :)

nirvani said:
Dear Temple family,

I am looking for a new cell phone and was wondering if students need (or are encouraged to get) a Palm pilot, Smartphone, Pocket PC, etc.. or something of the type. When I visited NYCPM, I saw that their students use Palms to take exams and things like that. I was also thinking if there were any Windows Mobile programs to help us study, i.e. Anatomy reviews or anything, it would be helpful to get a more fancy phone. Smartphones are good to keep students organized, as well. Can anyone provide any input on this? Thanks! :)

There are many TUSPM students that have either Palm OS based PDA or Pocket PC based PDA. However, to my knowledge, students are NOT permitted to use any devices or study aids during exams at TUSPM. There are many Palm based and Pocket PC based software that students utilize during their clinical rotations and some during basic science courses. The most popular is Epocrates (Drug reference), which is now available on both Palm OS and Pocket PC platforms. Currently, TUSPM do NOT require students to have a PDA. If you feel that a Smartphone (such as Treo 650 (Palm) or Treo 700 (Mobile Window or Palm)) may be useful to you and that you plan on using the PDA features of these smartphones, then I recommend that you get it. If you don't see yourself using the PDA portion of the smartphones much, then you are probably better off getting a non Smartphone, which is usually cheaper.

I finished my first year at TUSPM in May and might be able to help a little with this. I'll first tell you that I'm not too technologically savvy, so I'm not the most knowledgable person about all the gadgets you mentioned. I know that some of my classmates have Pocket PCs and PDAs, but they or smart phones are by no means required and are not involved in any way with exams. dpmgrad was correct in that phones, PDAs, Pocket PCs and the like aren't allowed to be out during exams. The students that I know that have them use them for their own organizational purposes. Personally, I have a basic cell phone, a laptop at my apartment and a pack of Post-Its that have done fine for me. Go with whatever you think will work best for you. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
the PDAs that we use at NYCPM for tests are not to cheat or look things up. There is a program on the PDAs that we use for the test and once in that program you cannot exit to notes or other programs without cancelling the test.

dnice said:
I finished my first year at TUSPM in May and might be able to help a little with this. I'll first tell you that I'm not too technologically savvy, so I'm not the most knowledgable person about all the gadgets you mentioned. I know that some of my classmates have Pocket PCs and PDAs, but they or smart phones are by no means required and are not involved in any way with exams. dpmgrad was correct in that phones, PDAs, Pocket PCs and the like aren't allowed to be out during exams. The students that I know that have them use them for their own organizational purposes. Personally, I have a basic cell phone, a laptop at my apartment and a pack of Post-Its that have done fine for me. Go with whatever you think will work best for you. Good luck!

Hi,

I was just wondering how your first year to TUSPM was because I am hoping to attend there next fall in 2007. Any info or suggestions would be much appreciated as well. Would your recommend Temple over the other schools and why? Sorry for all the questions, just want some helpful inside info if possible. Thanks.

krabmas said:
the PDAs that we use at NYCPM for tests are not to cheat or look things up. There is a program on the PDAs that we use for the test and once in that program you cannot exit to notes or other programs without cancelling the test.

I want to clarify that I wasn't implying that schools that use PDAs use them to cheat on tests; I just wanted to clarify the policy and procedures at TUSPM as I understand them.

I just got accepted into the Class 2010. I just wanted to say hi to everyone.

I was also accepted to Temple in July, hey everyone! Because this is all happening so late, I missed out on housing on campus. Is anyone else living off campus?

lemoore said:
I was also accepted to Temple in July, hey everyone! Because this is all happening so late, I missed out on housing on campus. Is anyone else living off campus?

Congrats on your acceptance and welcome to the TUSPM family. There will a decent amount of students living off campus, especially students that are married and have kids. There are some affordable off campus housing that is located next to the school on 9th street.

angelica259 and lemoore, congrats and can't wait to study with you guys! :)

does anyone know the books we need? or at least, which version of netter anatomy? i'd love to order them online and look over them now, thanks in advance :)

Hey guys,
After months of unresponsive waiting list decisions at other schools, I've decided to finally be a part of TUSPM - c/o 2010 :) . Unfortunately, I kinda screwed myself over cuz I'm waitlisted for their dorms (at this point, it seems very unlikely that I'll be getting one). Is anyone out there interested in looking for an apartment...perhaps a 2 bedroom with a relatively clean, easy-going guy? Please email or send a private message if interested. Thanks.

nirvani said:
angelica259 and lemoore, congrats and can't wait to study with you guys! :)

does anyone know the books we need? or at least, which version of netter anatomy? i'd love to order them online and look over them now, thanks in advance :)

As for what books one need, you can simply ask your big sibling. As for Gross Anatomy, you should be getting a mailing in the mail about the course. Dr. Boyd usually sends out some reading materials and the name of the required textbook. The syllabus will also let you know which anatomy dissector you will need. As for the anatomy atlas, any of the anatomy altas will do (Netters, Grant, etc..) You may be able to get some of these stuff from your big sibling. You will also need a dissection kit as well. You can either buy one from the school or get one for yourself. I know that I gave my dissection kit to my little sibling when I was a student at Temple. There is no anatomy textbook for the Lower Extremity course because we have own TUSPM LEA Textbook, which you will need a huge binder for. Again, for the rest of the books, check with your big sibling since textbooks may have changed since I was a student there a few years ago.

Good luck at TUSPM. If you have any questions, feel free to ask away. Perhaps, I may see some of you when you become third and fourth years since my residency program is involved with students in certain courses as a TA and also help out with the clinics at school.

AshyLarry said:
Hey guys,
After months of unresponsive waiting list decisions at other schools, I've decided to finally be a part of TUSPM - c/o 2010 :) . Unfortunately, I kinda screwed myself over cuz I'm waitlisted for their dorms (at this point, it seems very unlikely that I'll be getting one). Is anyone out there interested in looking for an apartment...perhaps a 2 bedroom with a relatively clean, easy-going guy? Please email or send a private message if interested. Thanks.

Welcome to the TUSPM family.

Hey I got stuck off campus as well...I am living with another girl in the warehouse apartments on 9th street. It's pretty expensive rent but we couldn't find much else. Good luck with your housing! So is anyone else nervous for school besides me?

AshyLarry said:
Hey guys,

You might considering looking at the apartments on 10th street between Cherry and Race Streets. They are usually two bedroom or more apts. Most of them have central AC with washer and dryer in apts. They are a bit small but the price isn't too bad. These apts are directly behind the TUSPM's parking lot.

lemoore said:
Hey I got stuck off campus as well...I am living with another girl in the warehouse apartments on 9th street. It's pretty expensive rent but we couldn't find much else. Good luck with your housing! So is anyone else nervous for school besides me?

Yes I'm nervous too.

Good to hear, that makes me feel a little better. I can't believe I am moving all my stuff up tomorrow and Saturday. Can't wait to meet you all!

lemoore said:
Good to hear, that makes me feel a little better. I can't believe I am moving all my stuff up tomorrow and Saturday. Can't wait to meet you all!

I have to move sept. 1st right after classes starts.

actually, i was one of the last ones to get into a dorm...woohoo! no apartment hunting. cant wait to meet all u guys next week.