Preparation for Temple

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilikepod

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I just want to get other people's thoughts on what they are doing to prep for Temple this fall..... ie. housing assignments/timetable/admissions package, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

ilikepod said:
Hey guys,
I just want to get other people's thoughts on what they are doing to prep for Temple this fall..... ie. housing assignments/timetable/admissions package, etc.

As a TUSPM alumni, perhaps, I can shed some light for the pre pod students entering into Temple in the fall. In your acceptance package, you should have received information about applying for housing and applying for financial aid. I recommend you that you get those materials in on time. If you have any questions with your financial aid stuff, you should contact Carolyn Ung in TUSPM Financial Aid office. She is pretty helpful. As for housing, if you are looking to live at the TUSPM dorm, get the application in early and specify what type of apt you want (studio, 1 BDR, 2 BDR, or 3 BDR). Even though it is very convenient, you are not require to live in the dorms. There are apts in the Center City (downtown Philly) and Chinatown where you can live and be able to walk to school. If you are not familiar with Philadelphia and don't have time to come explore Philly before you decide on housing options, I recommend you to live in the dorms first year so that you can learn your way around. Over the summer, you will be getting several mailings from Temple. Be sure that TUSPM admissions office has your correct mailing address. You will be getting information on orientation, big sibling program, etc.. There will also be mailings about ordering various stuff ranging from scrubs to study aids. Remember, these are optional and if you are not sure which is good to get, you can ask me or ask your assigned big sibling. I highly recommend Noteservice. You will also get something from the General Anatomy professor, Dr. Boyd. I highly recommend you to go over the materials that the Dr. Boyd sends out. Even though he is an excellent professor, he tends to go pretty fast in class and having read up the stuff that he sent you over the summer should help. In your admissions packet, you will also get some information about the SARP (Summer Academic Retention Program). This is an optional program for students who want to get back into the academic mode after being away from school or get ahead start in the classes. There will be some newly admitted students that may be required to attend SARP and they are usually the students that TUSPM feels may need the headstart in the coursework. My recommendation for you is to take it easy during the summer and enjoy it because things will get pretty busy when school starts. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Good luck and welcome to the TUSPM family.

orientation, big sibling program, etc.. There will also be mailings about ordering various stuff ranging from scrubs to study aids. Remember, these are optional and if you are not sure which is good to get, you can ask me or ask your assigned big sibling. I highly recommend Noteservice. You will also get something from the General Anatomy professor, Dr. Boyd. I highly recommend you to go over the materials that the Dr. Boyd sends out. Even though he is an excellent professor, he tends to go pretty fast in class and having read up the stuff that he sent you over the summer should help. In your admissions packet, you will also get some information about the SARP (Summer Academic Retention Program). This is an optional program for students who want to get back into the academic mode after being away from school or get ahead start in the classes. There will be some newly admitted students that may be required to attend SARP and they are usually the students that TUSPM feels may need the headstart in the coursework. My recommendation for you is to take it easy during the summer and enjoy it because things will get pretty busy when school starts. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Good luck and welcome to the TUSPM family.[/QUOTE]

I am also attending Temple in the Fall 2006. I did not recieve much information with my admissions letter. When do they usually send out the housing information and everything else? Do you reccomend the SARP? Do alot of people do it and if so does it give them an advantage when the classes actually start? Are first year students able to live in the one bedroom apartments or are they usually taken up by second years? Any other advice that you could shed in order for us to be prepared would be great.

Members don't see this ad :)
DanDPM said:
I am also attending Temple in the Fall 2006. I did not recieve much information with my admissions letter. When do they usually send out the housing information and everything else? Do you reccomend the SARP? Do alot of people do it and if so does it give them an advantage when the classes actually start? Are first year students able to live in the one bedroom apartments or are they usually taken up by second years? Any other advice that you could shed in order for us to be prepared would be great.

Congratulations and welcome to the TUSPM family. Usually they send out the housing information during the Spring. If you are not sure if they sent it out or not, you can always call the TUSPM admissions office and ask them about it. Also, do not forget to fill out the financial aid paperwork on time. As for housing, there are some first years that do get the studio or 1 bedroom apts. It really depends on what is available after the current students decide to live in the dorms or not. I recommend that the earlier you get your stuff in, the greater your chances of getting what you want. As for the other mailings (big siblings stuff, orientation, etc...), you will get those mailings through out the summer time.

As for SARP, I think that it is a great program because it does give you a head start on some of the materials that will be covered in Biochemistry and Anatomy courses. In addition, it will also give you some time to get adjusted to Philadelphia and also meet some of your fellow classmates and get to know them. If you do live in the dorm, you get to move into the dorm early. It is also great for students who have been out of school for a while and want to get back to that study mode again. SARP is required for some students but is optional for others. It should be noted that there are many students at TUSPM who do well in their classes and did not attend the SARP program. So, don't feel that you are at a disadvantage if you do not attend SARP. On the average, about 1/4 - 1/3 of the incoming class participate in SARP. If you are a good student and don't want to waste your summer in SARP, I would recommend that you go enjoy the summer and forget about the SARP program. On the other hand, if you are weak student or a student who feel that getting a head start on the Anatomy and Biochemistry materials would be beneficial, then I would recommend the SARP Program. By the way, the SARP classes are taught by TUSPM students who excelled in the Anatomy or Biochemistry courses. When I was a TUSPM student, I taught SARP Biochemistry for two summers. If you have any additional questions about SARP, please feel free to ask.

As the summer approaches, feel free to private me and I will give you some more advices / recommendations about classes, etc....

Good luck at TUSPM. Lastly, you and ilikepod can correspond as well since you guys will be classmates.

I wanted to ask what the dorms are like. When I toured on my interview day it was spring break, so we were not able to see the inside of a room. I definitly think it is convenient, but I dont want to feel like a freshman in college again.

dpmgrad,thanks for the info. I'm sure that we will have plenty of questions and will greatly appreciate all of your advice before starting first year.
Are you guys(ilikepod,lambe006) definently attending Temple in the fall? I can tell you that I am and I will most likely be living in the dorms.

I am not definite yet, Im still going to interview at Ohio and Chicago (mostly because I already bought the plane tickets), but I am thinking Temple will be the one.

Lambe006 said:
I wanted to ask what the dorms are like. When I toured on my interview day it was spring break, so we were not able to see the inside of a room. I definitly think it is convenient, but I dont want to feel like a freshman in college again.

The dorms at TUSPM are apartment style dorms. Basically, each apartment are either studio, 1 bedroom, 2 bedroom, or 3 bedroom apts. They have a kitchen, living room, bathroom, storage closets. The apartments also come equipped with furniture and beds. Each occupant will have their own bedroom. The apartments are cable ready and you would need to contact the cable company for service. The electricity is included in your dorm fees. Each apt also have wall unit AC / Heaters. There is a laundry facility on each floor and an additional storage closet for each apt on the floor. Hopefully, this helps.

i will be attending temple this fall.... i was hoping to get a two bedroom suite with one of my buddies... but i guess it depends on space

ilikepod said:
i will be attending temple this fall.... i was hoping to get a two bedroom suite with one of my buddies... but i guess it depends on space
You have friends coming to Temple with you?

i also got accepted to TUSPM but will probably defer it until next year because i slightly favor osteopathic medicine over podiatric medicine. if i don't get into a D.O. school then i will definitey start at Temple next year.

I don't have any good friends coming with me to Temple. However, the person I was set up with at the hotel during my interview turned out to be a pretty good guy. So we decided to try out housing together. Although I haven't received a single thing regarding housing from Temple yet, considering that I sent in my deposits months ago.

ilikepod said:
I don't have any good friends coming with me to Temple. However, the person I was set up with at the hotel during my interview turned out to be a pretty good guy. So we decided to try out housing together. Although I haven't received a single thing regarding housing from Temple yet, considering that I sent in my deposits months ago.

I would recommend that you touch base with the TUSPM admissions office about housing information. When you do get the housing information, you should be able to designate the name of your roommate since you already have selected your roommate.

Members don't see this ad :)
dpmgrad, i want to defer my acceptance to temple to next year because i want to see if i can get into a D.O. school, podiatry is not a backup plan because i do like it a lot. i don't want to tell temple that i am trying to get into a D.O. school then they'll think that i am trying to do podiatry as a backup. can you give me a good reason to defer, how open is temple to deferment?

i got accepted to tuspm but i don't have a tuspmid#, how do i get one? were we supposed to receive it in the mail or something?

ppormansdoormd said:
i got accepted to tuspm but i don't have a tuspmid#, how do i get one? were we supposed to receive it in the mail or something?

You will probably get your TUSPM ID number after you have officially enrolled at TUSPM (ie. registration). Why would you need the TUSPM ID number at this stage of the game?

i called them a few weeks back... they gave me my id number.. i guess u can do the same.. ppoormansdr- mike? aren't u doing DO?

ilikepod said:
i called them a few weeks back... they gave me my id number.. i guess u can do the same.. ppoormansdr- mike? aren't u doing DO?

Thanks ilikepod for updating me on that info. Out of curiosity, why do prepodiatry students need their TUSPM ID number prior to enrolling at TUSPM?

I called today to recieve my tuid number. I spoke with computing services so they could help me setup a username. If you want to try and do this on your own you can do it online with your id number. Once you have your username and password created you can access the tuportal, email, blackboard and you can also fill out your housing information.

DanDPM said:
I called today to recieve my tuid number. I spoke with computing services so they could help me setup a username. If you want to try and do this on your own you can do it online with your id number. Once you have your username and password created you can access the tuportal, email, blackboard and you can also fill out your housing information.

Yes, I remember TUPortal, TU Email, and Blackboard. However, I did not know that include so many other services online now. That is great. In addition, with your TUPortal access, you can access many of the journals online through Temple University Library Diamond website. By the way, if you are ever on the Temple Main Campus, they have campus wide free WiFi access. In addition, Philadelphia is working on having city wide WiFi access for a nominal fee.

I heard that you need ur temple id number when you sign on for housing in may... so i thought i'd take care of it now... plus me being an international student, i needed to fill out various forms that required a temple id...

i haven't receive a letter from temple since i've sent in my deposits... any idea when the next letters should be sent? i read in earlier posts that ppl get letters every week in the summer, however, over here (Canada) summer starts in late april.. i dunno about the US

ilikepod said:
I heard that you need ur temple id number when you sign on for housing in may... so i thought i'd take care of it now... plus me being an international student, i needed to fill out various forms that required a temple id...

i haven't receive a letter from temple since i've sent in my deposits... any idea when the next letters should be sent? i read in earlier posts that ppl get letters every week in the summer, however, over here (Canada) summer starts in late april.. i dunno about the US

Yes, one of the new TUSPM student in the previous posting indicated that you sign up for housing on Temple University online system, which requires your Temple University ID number. As for summer mailings, it is usually after June (when summer begins here in US). :)

Has anyone called recently and tried to get their TUid #? I called Monday and after giving me various responses the guy said he'd check on "the procedure" [since he first said all grad students must first register... i told him about the housing thing] and get back to me :rolleyes: Haven't heard back yet...

nirvani said:
Has anyone called recently and tried to get their TUid #? I called Monday and after giving me various responses the guy said he'd check on "the procedure" [since he first said all grad students must first register... i told him about the housing thing] and get back to me :rolleyes: Haven't heard back yet...

I did have alittle trouble getting my TUID # from the podiatry school. However, I called computing services and explained that I wanted to set up a username and password and I needed my ID number and they gave it to me. YOu can get their phone number off of their website which is linked off of Temple.edu. They were very helpful and should give you your ID without any trouble.

Nirvani:
When I initially called Temple for their graduate housing, they forwarded the call to computing services so I coulg get my Temple ID number. Try and do it that way and they will likely avoid checking certain "procedures."

DanDPM/Nirvani:
Were you guys planning to live on campus? If so, when are you moving to Philly? To my understanding, there are a couple of orientations just before school start (podiatry students, internationals, general Temple students).

ilikepod said:
Nirvani:
When I initially called Temple for their graduate housing, they forwarded the call to computing services so I coulg get my Temple ID number. Try and do it that way and they will likely avoid checking certain "procedures."

DanDPM/Nirvani:
Were you guys planning to live on campus? If so, when are you moving to Philly? To my understanding, there are a couple of orientations just before school start (podiatry students, internationals, general Temple students).

TUSPM students usually only attend the Podiatry orientation. During your orientation, you will get your ID, registered for classes, etc.... The remaining orientations are for students in other division of Temple. If you are living in the dorms, you will also need to check with the housing office as to when you can move into the dorm room. Usually, students in the SARP program are allowed to move in earlier than the regular TUSPM students. Of course, if you are living off campus, you can move in anytime you want.

DanDPM/Nirvani:
Were you guys planning to live on campus? If so, when are you moving to Philly? To my understanding, there are a couple of orientations just before school start (podiatry students, internationals, general Temple students).[/QUOTE]

I am planning on living on campus. I am hoping to get a studio, but I am not sure if first years can get them. I plan to move to philly whenever we are allowed to move in, unless I decide to do the SARP. I believe orientation starts around August 23rd so I imagine they should let us move in before that starts. Where do you plan to live? Are any of you going to do the SARP?

I got my Temple e-mail addy, yay! They didn't give me an ID#, but they signed me up for Accessnet/e-mail, so it's all good.

I am definitely hoping to live on-campus in the apartment complex. I called David Martin of Student Affairs, and he says getting a single/studio your first year is 99.9% impossible :p So I'm guessing it will be a 2-bedroom. I will probably do SARP just because I want to get a head start, think it would be nice! So if that's the case, I hope to move in at that time.

On a side note, I'm glad us future Temple pods are able to talk with each other at these forums. I am really excited about starting and studying with you guys! :)

Could you guys fill me in on SARP? What is it exactly, and how long does it run for?

Actually, I just read the previous posts and found out what it was, but does it cost extra?

ilikepod said:
Actually, I just read the previous posts and found out what it was, but does it cost extra?

It basically is a program that is taught by current students who just finished the class and gives incoming students a chance to get ready for the fall . I think the class is biochemistry and it might be one other. I think there is an option of doing the whole thing or doing half the amount of time and it does cost some money- a few hundred dollars. I can't remember the exact details, but I do remember David Martin mentioning all of this. Im sure dpmgrad could answer any other questions better than I could.

ilikepod said:

I think that SARP is a great program because it does give you a head start on some of the materials that will be covered in Biochemistry and Anatomy courses. In addition, it will also give you some time to get adjusted to Philadelphia and also meet some of your fellow classmates and get to know them. If you do live in the dorm, you get to move into the dorm early. It is also great for students who have been out of school for a while and want to get back to that study mode again. SARP is required for some students but is optional for others. It should be noted that there are many students at TUSPM who do well in their classes and did NOT attend the SARP program. So, do NOT feel that you are at a disadvantage if you do not attend SARP. On the average, about 1/4 - 1/3 of the incoming class participate in SARP. If you are a good student and don't want to waste your summer in SARP, I would recommend that you go enjoy the summer and forget about the SARP program. On the other hand, if you are weak student or a student who feel that getting a head start on the Anatomy and Biochemistry materials would be beneficial, then I would recommend the SARP Program. The SARP program usually lasts between 2-3 weeks long and there is a cost associated with the SARP Program. You can find out the exact dates and cost of SARP from David Martin at TUSPM Admissions office. By the way, the SARP classes are taught by TUSPM students who excelled in the Anatomy or Biochemistry courses, under the direction of the Anatomy and Biochemistry professors. When I was a TUSPM student, I taught SARP Biochemistry for two summers. If you have any additional questions about SARP, please feel free to ask.

DPMGrad:
I haven't done any biochemistry for about 2 years, so I am starting to consider SARP. Also the idea of getting used to Philly really does appeal to me. Since you taught SARP, can you tell me about the specifics of the biochemistry content that is taught there... ie. is it more concentrated on metabolic reactions (understanding), or biomolecules (memorization).... or both?

As for the Anatomy in the SARP program, is it General Anatomy, or is it focussed more on the lower limb stuff?

Hey guys I'm also interested in attending TUSPM this coming fall but my application isn't complete. I wanted to help out with the info on the SARP program:
Its from July 31-August 18, 2006, the courses being offered are biochemistry & general anatomy (it doesn't say if its only lower limb), there is also a study skills portion too (time management, note-taking, memorization, etc.), the books purchased for the courses will be used during the academic year (I think the books are not included in the program fee but I'm not sure), the program is $450.00 due by July 2006, you have to complete a application form for this program that is due by July 1,2006. As for housing it says that SARP participants who have acquired a license to live in the student housing complex may rent an apartment as of August 1, 2006 for the entire academic year. So I would look in to that because if you're not from Philly that means you have to make other arrangements before the program starts b/c you can't move in until the second day of the program. I hope this helps. I can't wait till I'm officially a part of the TUSPM family. Good luck guys! Class of 2010

ilikepod said:
DPMGrad:
I haven't done any biochemistry for about 2 years, so I am starting to consider SARP. Also the idea of getting used to Philly really does appeal to me. Since you taught SARP, can you tell me about the specifics of the biochemistry content that is taught there... ie. is it more concentrated on metabolic reactions (understanding), or biomolecules (memorization).... or both?

As for the Anatomy in the SARP program, is it General Anatomy, or is it focussed more on the lower limb stuff?

Remember, SARP will only provide a BRIEF overview and cover some of the basic concepts of the materials that are going to be covered in the courses during the first year. In the biochemistry portion of SARP, the topics that are usually covered include amino acids, proteins, enzymes, carbohydrate metabolism, lipid metabolism, amino acid metabolism, regulation of metabolism, and introduction to molecular genetics and human nutrition (if time permits). When I taught SARP biochemistry, I mainly taught the metabolism section of Biochemistry (carbohydrates, lipids, and amino acid). As for the anatomy portion of SARP, they will cover some lower extremity anatomy topics, in addition to the general anatomy topics. By the way, there will be weekly exams in both biochemistry and anatomy sections of SARP program. For those students who are required to attend SARP as a condition for admission to TUSPM, you will need to pass the these exams in order to be admitted to TUSPM. I hope that this helps.

angelica259 said:
Hey guys I'm also interested in attending TUSPM this coming fall but my application isn't complete. I wanted to help out with the info on the SARP program:
Its from July 31-August 18, 2006, the courses being offered are biochemistry & general anatomy (it doesn't say if its only lower limb), there is also a study skills portion too (time management, note-taking, memorization, etc.), the books purchased for the courses will be used during the academic year (I think the books are not included in the program fee but I'm not sure), the program is $450.00 due by July 2006, you have to complete a application form for this program that is due by July 1,2006. As for housing it says that SARP participants who have acquired a license to live in the student housing complex may rent an apartment as of August 1, 2006 for the entire academic year. So I would look in to that because if you're not from Philly that means you have to make other arrangements before the program starts b/c you can't move in until the second day of the program. I hope this helps. I can't wait till I'm officially a part of the TUSPM family. Good luck guys! Class of 2010

Thank you for posting the dates and cost of SARP Program. Congratulations and welcome to the TUSPM family.

Are you required to take both biochemistry and anatomy as a part of the SARP program or can you take just one if you'd like? I am definitely considering biochem now, I really do need to brush up on it.

ilikepod said:
Are you required to take both biochemistry and anatomy as a part of the SARP program or can you take just one if you'd like? I am definitely considering biochem now, I really do need to brush up on it.

Unless TUSPM has restructured the SARP Program recently, you are required to participate the entire program (taking both Biochemistry and Anatomy). The fee that you are paying for SARP covers the entire program. By the way, SARP program is a structured program where you have classes during the morning along with some other study skills workshop, etc.. in the afternoon.

Lastly, remember, SARP Program is an optional program (unless you have been told by TUSPM that successful completion of SARP program is a condition for acceptance into TUSPM). If you do NOT attend SARP, it does NOT mean that you will be at a disadvantage. There are many TUSPM students who do well without attend SARP.

^dpmgrad, do SARP students do any anatomy lab where they actually get to work with cadavers? or is it strictly classroom material?

This somehow seems a bit more challenging than getting old tests from upper classmen....

nirvani said:
^dpmgrad, do SARP students do any anatomy lab where they actually get to work with cadavers? or is it strictly classroom material?

To my knowledge, it is strictly classroom materials with no lab component.

Out of curiosity, any of the incoming TUSPM students considering to do their clinical training at one of the Temple satellite sites, such as Arizona, Texas, etc..., during the third and fourth years? TUSPM students can choose to spend their entire third and fourth year clinical rotations outside of Philadelphia.

dpmgrad said:
Out of curiosity, any of the incoming TUSPM students considering to do their clinical training at one of the Temple satellite sites, such as Arizona, Texas, etc..., during the third and fourth years? TUSPM students can choose to spend their entire third and fourth year clinical rotations outside of Philadelphia.

Where are the other satellite areas? Aren't there classes in the afternoons for third year students? Do students usually stay at the same place for their clinical training or do they move around alot?

DPMGrad:
I remember David Martin telling us that we can apply for residency for one of those satellite areas in out first year and if we change our mind there won't be any problems with that. But, have you seen any problems arising amongst students who initially desired to do that program but had a change of heart later on? (ie. difficulty exiting the program/unknown deadlines)

DanDPM said:
Where are the other satellite areas? Aren't there classes in the afternoons for third year students? Do students usually stay at the same place for their clinical training or do they move around alot?

Actually, all of your classes will be done by November of your third year. From December to May of your third year and your entire fourth year, you will be doing your clinical rotations. There will be no afternoon classes during that time. TUSPM students have an option to complete their clinical rotations in the latter half of the third year and fourth year at TUSPM in Philadelphia or they can complete all of their rotations at one of the seven alternative sites outside of Philadelphia. As per TUSPM website (http://podiatry.temple.edu/curriculum/curriculum.html), those alternative sites include University of Texas Health Science Center (San Antonio, TX), University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, South Side (Pittsburgh, PA), St. Vincent Catholic Medical Center (New York), Denver VA Medical Center (Denver, CO), St. Francis / Mt. Sinai Hospitals (Hartford, CT), Botsford General Hospital (Farmington Hills, MI), and Southern Arizona VA Health Care System (which I believe is one of the AZPOD clinical sites as well). You can read more on what your clinical rotations will be at those alternative sites. Students will have to decide by the end of second year where they will complete their clinical trainings. According to some of the current fourth year students, about 2/3 to 3/4 of the class opted to stay at TUSPM, while 1/4 to 1/3 of the class opted to go to one of the alternative sites. As you go through TUSPM, I am sure you will hear from various upperclassmen about the alternative sites clinical training. Once you select your clinical site, you will complete all of your clinical rotations at that site. Of course, the only time you will be away from that clinical site would be when you are doing your externships during your fourth year. As you can see, most of those alternative clinical sites have podiatric surgical residency program. If you do know that you want to concentrate on obtaining a residency program within the vicinity of those clinical training sites, then I would recommend considering doing your clinical training at one of those alternative sites. If you want to stay in the Eastern Pennsylvania, NJ, DE or you are undecided, I would recommend you considering staying at TUSPM for your clinical rotation. I hope that this helps.

ilikepod said:
DPMGrad:
I remember David Martin telling us that we can apply for residency for one of those satellite areas in out first year and if we change our mind there won't be any problems with that. But, have you seen any problems arising amongst students who initially desired to do that program but had a change of heart later on? (ie. difficulty exiting the program/unknown deadlines)

Actually, you are NOT applying for the residency program at those satellite sites. It is just that there is a podiatric surgical residency program at most of those satellite sites. You are basically selecting a satellite site to do your third and fourth year clinical rotations. By doing your clinical rotations at one of those sites does NOT guarantee the student that podiatric surgical residency program. I do know one or two fourth year students who had switched their clinical sites. However, when you switch clinical sites, you will need to coordinate with the new site in regards to the rotations that you still need to complete.

DPM Grad:
Sorry, I confused myself there for a second! I didn't mean to use the word residency, I was actually talking about the clinical rotations. I'll be careful with my words next time.

It's nice to see that there is flexibility in switching, just in case you don't like where you are. By the way, what route did you end up taking yourself, in terms of both clinical rotations and residency?

ilikepod said:
DPM Grad:
Sorry, I confused myself there for a second! I didn't mean to use the word residency, I was actually talking about the clinical rotations. I'll be careful with my words next time.

It's nice to see that there is flexibility in switching, just in case you don't like where you are. By the way, what route did you end up taking yourself, in terms of both clinical rotations and residency?

Actually, the new TUSPM curriculum (where didactic classes are done by November of the third year) and option to do the clinical rotations outside of TUSPM were offered to students starting with the Class of 2005 and onwards. Since I graduated before 2005, I was under the old TUSPM curriculum, where we had classes through out the third year in the afternoon, while we did our clinic rotations in the morning. Everyone in my class did their clinical rotations at TUSPM / Temple or one of the affiliated sites in the Philadelphia vicinity. Most of the information that I got about the new curriculum have been from current fourth year students and students in the Class of 2005. The one 4th year student who did his clinical rotations at Arizona said that he had a great experience in Arizona. Another student did her rotations at UT San Antonio said that she learned a great deal from her rotations but she ended up switching back to TUSPM in her 4th year because she was did not like the environment / conditions that students were put through there and was very unhappy at UT San Antonio. As per the current 4th year students, TUSPM really discourage students from changing clinical sites but if there are sufficient reasons that warrant the change in clinical sites, TUSPM will do its best to accommodate the student. By the way, just because a student did his/her clinical training in Arizona, it does not mean that the student will not have a shot at the residency programs in Philadelphia. However, the students that do their clinical rotations at TUSPM will have an advantage with PHilly programs because they have more opportunities to visit and spend time at the local programs or work with the residents / attendings at some of the local Philly residency programs during their clinical rotations.

I just finished my letter stating to defer my acceptance until next year. The reason is that I haven't been to my native country in several years and that if I went to medical school there would be no time to take a vacation there. A family member is also getting married there and I would like to attend. Are they going to approve my deferral request? How open is TUSPM to deferring? Anyone know? Thanx.