Prep for Ortho Rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a third year medical student interested in orthopedics. I have two orthopedic rotations back-to-back at the end of 3rd year. What are the best resources to use to prepare for/study for ortho? I want to be prepared on clerkships and was thinking about slowly reading some ortho material up till the start of the clerkships.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a third year medical student interested in orthopedics. I have two orthopedic rotations back-to-back at the end of 3rd year. What are the best resources to use to prepare for/study for ortho? I want to be prepared on clerkships and was thinking about slowly reading some ortho material up till the start of the clerkships.
Start off with Netters Concise Orthopedics. Has all the anatomy you need to know as well as most of the basic fracture classifications and orthopedic pathology that you should first focus on. There is also a book called “Survivor Series: Orthopedics” that is a easy and quick read with a lot of the basics. After that you can start looking into Handbook of Fractures, or start reading the High Yield trauma sections on Orthobullets.

Reactions: 1 user
Start off with Netters Concise Orthopedics. Has all the anatomy you need to know as well as most of the basic fracture classifications and orthopedic pathology that you should first focus on. There is also a book called “Survivor Series: Orthopedics” that is a easy and quick read with a lot of the basics. After that you can start looking into Handbook of Fractures, or start reading the High Yield trauma sections on Orthobullets.
Thank you so much. I have Handbook of Fractures, but felt that would be too much to start with. Glad I can look into these other texts.

Members don't see this ad :)
I used Netters and Handbook of Fractures. Second Hoppenfelds exam book. If it was around at the time I probably would’ve looked at orthobullets. Wheeless’ online textbook might also be worth a look, but may be too advanced for a MS3.

I am in the same boat as you (current MS3). Just came off my first ortho rotation (also my first surgery rotation). I downloaded Netter's and the Handbook. Thought I was going to read Netter's, but I ended up just using it as a reference when I wanted to brush up on some anatomy/approaches. My main resource while on the rotation was OrthoBullets. I was with the ortho trauma team so it was hard to really prep for specific cases, but I picked up on what was common - hips, arms, etc. I read through the Topics/Techniques parts of OrthoBullets for the common fractures and knew the answers to the few questions that were asked of me in the OR. It's definitely cool to understand the approach and relevant anatomy before going into the OR.

I am in the same boat as you (current MS3). Just came off my first ortho rotation (also my first surgery rotation). I downloaded Netter's and the Handbook. Thought I was going to read Netter's, but I ended up just using it as a reference when I wanted to brush up on some anatomy/approaches. My main resource while on the rotation was OrthoBullets. I was with the ortho trauma team so it was hard to really prep for specific cases, but I picked up on what was common - hips, arms, etc. I read through the Topics/Techniques parts of OrthoBullets for the common fractures and knew the answers to the few questions that were asked of me in the OR. It's definitely cool to understand the approach and relevant anatomy before going into the OR.

Hoppenfelds Operative Exposures in Orthopaedics is GREAT for approaches. Big pictures, easy to understand, and I still look at it sometimes. You can usually find it lying around in the residents’ lounge. Would not not buy as a med student though.