Preoperative Prophylaxis in context of cefazolin (Ancef) shortage

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jope

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So our institution is having another drug shortage and this time it's the commonly used cefazolin for preoperative prophylaxis. Our pharmacy has us substituting ceftriaxone for it. I wondering if anyone's had a similar shortage and what you guys did?

Some of our surgeons are appropriately concerned about Gram Positive coverage but our medical microbiologists have said it's still fine to use it.

Members don't see this ad.

I never understood why this is an anesthesia issue. Patient does not need abx for my ETT. I know next to nothing about microbiology. Whatever surgeon wants is what he gets.

Members don't see this ad :)
We are often the ones giving it in the OR. It wouldn't hurt to know a little more and not just do what the surgeon orders blindly.

Reactions: 4 users
I agree, we should know what abx are appropriate.

I would think the closest to cefazolin would be cefoxotin, clinda, or vancomycin. I would probably use one of these. Ceftroaxone seems like it is too broad, same with ertapenam.

Reactions: 1 users
I think it should be protocol driven and set by infectious disease doctors by looking at the local bugs and resistance.

Sure we probably should know what is recommended, if there are no local data available. (Which is unlikely in the US). I shouldn’t be the one picking antibiotic prophylaxis.

Reactions: 1 users
Haven't had that problem, but Vanc, Zosyn, and meropenem should cover it.

Using zosyn or esp mero for routine prophylaxis is like using a chainsaw to trim your fingernails. Clinda sucks bc it’s bacteriostatic and heavily induces resistant bugs.

Vanc isn’t really that great for pen sensitive organisms but it’ll get the job done. Cefoxitin is fine too. Keep in mind, the main problem with ceftriaxone isn’t that it’s relatively broad spectrum- it’s that we are interested in mostly covering gram positive skin flora and gram positive cidal activity is weaker with 3rd gen cephalosporins compared to 1st (gram + coverage in 4th gen cephs such as cefepime rivals that of cefazolin but then we’re stuck again with a too-broad-spectrum problem)

Reactions: 5 users
I think the alternate abx should also depend on the antibiogram of your specific facility.

What if you live at a place where weird all the gram + bugs are sensitive to ampicillin? Then just use that? what if everyone tells u to use cefoxitin but your gram+ bugs are only like 30% sensitive to it? then you're doing it wrong.

Reactions: 1 user
We are often the ones giving it in the OR. It wouldn't hurt to know a little more and not just do what the surgeon orders blindly.
Some vascular surgeons want heparin, others do not, neurosurgery sometimes wants antiepileptics, sometimes not. I have never second guessed these requests.....
I have never diagnosed or treated an infection nor do I put in any hardware in a patient. Therefore I am completely unqualified to offer an opinion on any choice of antibiotics. Sure, I could look at the prophylaxis chart and give what it says (and usually do) but if the surgeon wants something else i just give it and document APS. The surgeon usually has a reason why he wants a different antibiotic he is far more experienced in diagnosis and treatment of surgical infections than I am...

Reactions: 1 user
Using zosyn or esp mero for routine prophylaxis is like using a chainsaw to trim your fingernails. Clinda sucks bc it’s bacteriostatic and heavily induces resistant bugs.

Vanc isn’t really that great for pen sensitive organisms but it’ll get the job done. Cefoxitin is fine too. Keep in mind, the main problem with ceftriaxone isn’t that it’s relatively broad spectrum- it’s that we are interested in mostly covering gram positive skin flora and gram positive cidal activity is weaker with 3rd gen cephalosporins compared to 1st (gram + coverage in 4th gen cephs such as cefepime rivals that of cefazolin but then we’re stuck again with a too-broad-spectrum problem)
I appreciate the refresher, but I do hope you realize that comment was tongue-in-cheek and a little ribbing on the fresh interns.

Reactions: 3 users
Some vascular surgeons want heparin, others do not, neurosurgery sometimes wants antiepileptics, sometimes not. I have never second guessed these requests.....
I have never diagnosed or treated an infection nor do I put in any hardware in a patient. Therefore I am completely unqualified to offer an opinion on any choice of antibiotics. Sure, I could look at the prophylaxis chart and give what it says (and usually do) but if the surgeon wants something else i just give it and document APS. The surgeon usually has a reason why he wants a different antibiotic he is far more experienced in diagnosis and treatment of surgical infections than I am...

90% of surgeons know about as much about antibiotics as you. I want to scream everytime I see a resident or crna shout out that the 70yo patient (who likely received the unpurified stuff back in the day) is penicillin allergic and the pgy2 ortho or surgery resident shouts back "uhhhh, give clinda??" and like a monkey that resident or crna goes to order it.

Reactions: 3 users
Just give them cephalexin in holding bay. Ez.

This is the indepth rationale from our ID working group.

Microbiology:

As you know, the majority of surgical site infections are caused by Staphylococcus. A key determinant of successful prophylaxis is the activity of the agent against Staph. While cefazolin is often regarded as the reference drug for antimicrobial activity against Staph, various other cephalosporins, including cefuroxime, cefotaxime and ceftriaxone exhibit excellent anti-staphylococcal activity. In fact, MICs for all these agents are inferred from cefoxitin and set by the Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute. Various microbiological studies confirm equivalent anti-staphylococcal activity of these agents (e.g. Clin Infect Dis. 2014 May; 58(9): 1287–1296.) In Island Health, the resistance to cephalosporins is much lower than to comparator agents such as clindamycin, and their rapid cell-wall activity and distribution makes them preferable to vancomycin.

Surgical Guidelines:

According the Clinical Practice Guidelines for antimicrobial prophylaxis in surgery, there are over 30 randomized controlled studies cited individually or as meta-analyses examining cardiac surgery patients. While a variety of cephalosporins were studied, there are no data supporting superiority of one antimicrobial over another, with the exception of vancomycin, which was showed inferior. A meta-analysis of 27 studies of cardiac surgeries found no difference in SSIs between cephalosporins when examining different classes of agents (J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg . 1992; 104:590–9). The guideline highlights that selection should be based on cost, availability, and local resistance patterns. (American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy, Volume 70, Issue 3, 1 February 2013, Pages 195–283). As such, ceftriaxone was chosen over other agents due to consistent availability, clinician familiarity with the drug, ease of administration as a 3-5min push, and cost.

Other Clinical Literature

There is overwhelming evidence that supports ceftriaxone use for surgical prophylaxis in general. For example, a meta-analysis of 43 randomized trials, which included cardiac surgery patients, showed that ceftriaxone actually demonstrated a slightly lower surgical wound infections (OR 0.53, CI 0.43-0.67) and post-op UTIs, particularly in contaminated procedures. (Chemotherapy. 2002 Mar;48(1):49-56.). Another large meta-analysis of over 90 studies came to the same conclusion, showing an OR of 0.68 for SSI for ceftriaxone, equating to nearly one third lower SSI risk with ceftriaxone. (World J Surg. 2009 Dec;33(12):2538-50.) 2/3 of individual studies used a single dose of 1g, which formed the basis of our therapeutic interchange. Specific to cardiac patients, the evidence is similarly strong. In open heart surgeries, for example, ceftriaxone was compared to cefazolin in 104 patients showed that tissue concentrations of ceftriaxone were higher faster and that infection rates did not differ (American Journal of Surgery [01 Oct 1984, 148(4A):8-14]). A large RCT of ceftriaxone used in CABG against other cephalosporins also demonstrated equivalent efficacy (Scandinavian Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery Volume 28, 1994 - Issue 3-4). An RCT of nearly 1000 patients comparing ceftriaxone to cefazolin showed infection rates of 4.5% vs 5% respectively, a NS difference. (World Journal of Surgery November 1989, Volume 13, Issue 6, pp 798–801). Ceftriaxone is broader spectrum than cefazolin, and its impact on development of resistance prevents it from routinely being used as prophylaxis over cefazolin, not lack of efficacy.

Other alternatives

As you know, the clinical order sets on which peri-operative antimicrobials are written are suggestions, and can be changed by the prescriber at their discretions. Should prescribers want to choose another cephalosporin, they are free to do so. Options include cefuroxime 1.5g or cefotaxime 2g both dosed q8h. Unfortunately neither can be pre-formulated like cefazolin and all require the same reconstitution procedures as ceftriaxone, and necessitate more doses. We recommend against using clindamycin or vancomycin due to resistance and practical issues that often lead to incomplete dosing, as well as adverse effect such as CDI and nephrotoxicity.

Reactions: 8 users