Premed Nursing Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYCGurl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone -

I'm in the last year of my BSN program and have aspirations to finish up my prereqs/MCATs in the next two years and apply to med school. I'm starting to feel a little panicky thinking about working as a new nurse and taking classes at the same time so I was just wondering if anyone's in a similar boat? What's this I've also heard that med schools don't look kindly on nurses applying??

Members don't see this ad.

NYCGurl,
One of the benefits of a nursing career is flexibility. When I decided to go back for pre-med classes I just switched to PRN. I still worked full-time but was able to set my own hours. I got a higher hourly rate but no longer had benefits. I realized that evening/night shifts were OK and sometimes I was able to study. Around test time I would not schedule many hours. In medical school I did some agency work which pays very well. Don't worry about preconceived notions in your application process. Just be prepared to explain the path you have chosen and be yourself. Good luck!!

Rachael

There are nurses in med school as well as enginers, biologist, psychologist, bussiness majors, teachers--- you get the idea.

Hey.
I'm glad to here there are other kindered spirits out there. I did almost the same thing. I began my undergarduate career as a psych. major. , had no idea what to do, then transitioned over into Nursing, which I really enjoyed, then picked up a Biochemistry degree on the way. So, by the time I grad. I had these two degrees, and a thirst to go into medicine.
So to make a long story short I just finished my 2nd year of med. school , did well on Step I. I'm taking a year off to do a post-sopomore fellowship in path, and at the same time I'm working at a local hospital as a nurse.
Thus, my advice is to keep your options open, finish both degrees,a nd don't let your nursing cohorts influence you. If this is your dream then go for it! I enjoy waht I do, and you'll honestly be so happy when you get to where you want to be. If you have any questions I'd be happy to offer up an answer.