Preliminary Medicine Programs in Cali...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

geek666

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick question...
for the average applicant, how many preliminary programs in California should one interview at to assure oneself a good chance of matching?

Any thoughts?:)

Members don't see this ad.

I go to one of the UC med schools. Our Dept. of Medicine counseled us to apply to 10-12 prelim programs. I guess it depends on where you want to match and how many prelim spots they have. For example, if you really want to match at an academic program, you will probably need to apply to more programs as they tend to have fewer slots.

i've heard that the academic prelim programs in CA reserve more than 1/2 of their spots for their own students. Is this true?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure if the programs reserve spots for their own students but I have heard of programs quasi-reserving spots for people who will be matching at their institution for the remaining years of their residency. I'm just going to make up an example...School X has 4 positions. However, School X has an ongoing agreement with the...I don't know...neurology department that the prelim spots will preferentially go to people who will be matching in neurology at School X.

and just to clarify, i haven't heard this from a program director...just from other students who have matched ahead of me.

UCSF eliminated their prelim spots this year because they all went to neuro. Wasn't too happy about that.