Prelim programs on FREIDA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1dayatatime

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry this might be a stupid q but I can't figure out how to search for prelim programs on FREIDA. The past threads all seem to have an option that freida no longer uses ( you can't check of "prelim programs" under "IM"). So I've just searched for IM, then typed "preliminary" in the keywords. Ive come up with many programs I know have prelims just from word of mouth, but they also don't have the correct PD or contact info for the actual prelim program (i.e. they have the categorical IM PD and contact)- is this how it's supposed to look?

How can I find the actual requirements (in particular, I'm trying to find out if I need a IM attending's LOR to apply) for the prelim programs besides going to each indiv. programs website?

Lastly, for derm, can I do prelim OR transitional year? I don't want to do surgery or peds but what are the options? Is prelim better than transitional?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Lastly, for derm, can I do prelim OR transitional year? I don't want to do surgery or peds but what are the options? Is prelim better than transitional?
Thanks!

I haven't used the FREIDA site in a long time (maybe ever?) so I can't be of much help there. But, to your last set of questions, you can do either a Prelim Medicine year or a Transitional Year program. Some Derm programs are hoighty-toighty enough to state (either on their website or in person) that they strongly recommend you do a prelim medicine year at a large academic institution, but no one has any power to hold you to that whatsoever.

The only time it really matters is when planning for "what if I don't match?" If you don't match Derm, one contingency plan is to rank prelim medicine programs at the bottom of your list so that you match into a high powered preliminary medicine program at an academic institution that has a Derm program (and you can possibly try to find an "in" through them) or at least show any other prospective Derm programs in future application cycles that you were willing to put in that extra effort.

Otherwise, you just need to decide what you want out of your intern year. If you want to feel like you truly had the "intern experience" and bust your behind for 10-11 or so of the 12 months in a year, choose prelim medicine. If you're more interested in a more relaxed atmosphere with a good mix of busy ward months, ED/surgery (well, surgery-lite), and significant elective (relaxation) time, look into Transitional Year programs.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks! So i'm not limited if I do Transitional vs. Prelim as far as specific derm programs go right? I.e. there are no derm programs that will say they'll only consider me if I do a prelim program? Which (prelim vs. transitional) is more competitive? I've heard both are.

Also you meant ranking high powered prelim med programs at the bottom of my Derm rank list as the contingency plan right - I'm a little confused on whether I have a separate rank list for prelim and/or transitional programs or what?

Members don't see this ad :)
UCSF is the only program that highly recommends their applicants to rank prelim medicine or peds programs highly:

http://www.dermatology.ucsf.edu/edu...cants/InstructionsforResidencyApplicants.aspx

yes, you will make a separate rank lit for pre/TY for each derm program you rank.

(E.g. you can rank
1. MGH prelim medicine, 2. MSK TY, 3. Colorado health TY for BU derm;
1. MSK TY 2. MGH prelim medicine, 3. Colorado Health TY for NYU derm;
1. Colorado Health TY, 2. MGH prelim medicine, 3 MSK TY for U Colorado Derm)

Some programs are categorical (intern year at their own medicine/peds program) so you don't make a separate rank list for intern year programs for those.

Thanks! So i'm not limited if I do Transitional vs. Prelim as far as specific derm programs go right? I.e. there are no derm programs that will say they'll only consider me if I do a prelim program? Which (prelim vs. transitional) is more competitive? I've heard both are.

Also you meant ranking high powered prelim med programs at the bottom of my Derm rank list as the contingency plan right - I'm a little confused on whether I have a separate rank list for prelim and/or transitional programs or what?

Unless you fail to match into Derm the first time around, you will match to your intern year program and your Derm program simultaneously. A TY fulfills all the requirements of an intern year for any Dermatology program, regardless of how much the program director might try to convince you that Prelim Medicine is the way to go.
Transitional Year programs as a whole are much more competitive. There are far fewer TY programs than Prelim Medicine programs out there, and a reasonably good student can fall into a Prelim Medicine spot with next to no effort. With the exception of some TYs that are dysfunctional or are only TYs in name but function like a Prelim Medicine program, a TY spot is much more difficult to get - particularly the dozen or so infamously cush ones across the country.

To your last paragraph, you will make two rank lists. Your primary list will be your Derm programs, and you can make as many iterations of your secondary list (which includes the order you would prefer various prelim programs depending on where you would match into Derm) as you want. A common contingency plan, however, is to put an academic prelim medicine program (or several) at the bottom of your primary (Derm) list so that if you fail to match in Derm, there's that last bottom wrung to grab onto.

I see. That clears up a lot thanks! Can you tell me the famously cush ty programs (in a pm if you think it might be offensive)?