Prelim/TY list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

derm191

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently trying to figure out my prelim/TY list for upcoming application cycle. I'm trying to figure out if this is enough/overkill, so prelim/TY lists are below. Any suggestions in terms of additions or deletions are appreciated.

Med school: Unranked
Step 1: 253, Step 2: 255
Clinicals: Half A's/B's
Did research yr, will have 18 abstracts/pubs/presentations

Prelim (11)
MGH
WashU
BWH
Mt. Sinai
Northwestern
Beth Israel Deaconess
NYU
West Suburban
Advocate Illinois Masonic
Baylor (Dallas)
Texas Health Presbyterian

TY (11)
Weiss
Presence Resurrection
Presence St. Francis
U of Chicago Northshore
Emory
MSK
Reading Hospital
Presbyterian/St. Luke's (Colorad0)
Lincoln Medical Center
Oakwood
John Peter Smith

Members don't see this ad.

Currently trying to figure out my prelim/TY list for upcoming application cycle. I'm trying to figure out if this is enough/overkill, so prelim/TY lists are below. Any suggestions in terms of additions or deletions are appreciated.

Med school: Unranked
Step 1: 253, Step 2: 255
Clinicals: Half A's/B's
Did research yr, will have 18 abstracts/pubs/presentations

Prelim (11)
MGH
WashU
BWH
Mt. Sinai
Northwestern
Beth Israel Deaconess
NYU
West Suburban
Advocate Illinois Masonic
Baylor (Dallas)
Texas Health Presbyterian

TY (11)
Weiss
Presence Resurrection
Presence St. Francis
U of Chicago Northshore
Emory
MSK
Reading Hospital
Presbyterian/St. Luke's (Colorad0)
Lincoln Medical Center
Oakwood
John Peter Smith

I'm not sure how helpful the responses will be here. Perhaps it would be worth trying the intern year/transitional year forum?

If I remember correctly, your application fee covers up to 11 prelim programs and 11 TYs. I would not interview at all of these. You will burn yourself out before the interviews that count (the derm ones)

Pick a program you like and in all likelihood, you'll probably get it.

Just as an FYI (this is a generalization), the bigger the name, the harder the year.

We have no clue what you're looking for. Lookin for a fun and more laid back year? Rigorous academic department where you learn a lot of medicine?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure how helpful the responses will be here. Perhaps it would be worth trying the intern year/transitional year forum?

If I remember correctly, your application fee covers up to 11 prelim programs and 11 TYs. I would not interview at all of these. You will burn yourself out before the interviews that count (the derm ones)

Pick a program you like and in all likelihood, you'll probably get it.

Just as an FYI (this is a generalization), the bigger the name, the harder the year.

It's $99 for up to 10 programs for a specialty and prelim medicine is separate from TYs. I guess I'm just worried that I won't get enough interviews and will have to SOAP, but I don't plan on interviewing at that many programs. I think the whole process of trying to match into derm has skewed my view on applying in general; do people typically get their prelim of choice?

We have no clue what you're looking for. Lookin for a fun and more laid back year? Rigorous academic department where you learn a lot of medicine?

Sorry, I forgot about that. I'm looking for a more laid back year but I know that those TYs are usually very competitive so I wasn't sure if I had a shot at those. But overall, I just want to avoid the SOAP. The more academic programs on my list are my backup plans if I go unmatched for derm.

To worry about having to SOAP for derm is one thing, but I don't think you should worry about SOAP for internships. You sound very competitive on paper and if you even interview at half those places, then I would be shocked if you didn't match (probably in your top 3-5 in the worst case scenario). Like was said above, you probably need to interview less than you think and you'll be fine. I would prioritize location and the general culture/morale of the residents/faculty above all else when ranking. It's only one year even if it sucks (and for most people it sucks no matter where you go because we are derm people not IM).

On a related note, you mentioned you wanted a "more academic program" for intern year incase you go unmatched for derm. I see this often and I think it's probably the best option if you're dead set on doing derm no matter how long and hard the road. One thing to consider is if you went unmatched with derm would you prefer to go completely unmatched from intern programs as well or would you rather just take your intern program then see what happens in the future? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that if you order your rank list in such a way that you don't match any of your derm programs but just match intern programs then you are limited in your access to the SOAP positions (i.e. you are tagged as "matched" because you technically did match one of your ranked choices even though it didn't include an advanced derm spot). Again, I'm not sure of that. I only listed my derm programs on my rank list so that if I didn't match in derm, then I would go completely unmatched and take my chances with the SOAP and be unrestricted by a prelim IM spot that I was then obligated to work at for one year. I guess a lot of this depends on how open you are to other options and specialties. I was certainly willing to entertain other options if derm didn't pan out, but grateful that it did!

On a related note, you mentioned you wanted a "more academic program" for intern year incase you go unmatched for derm. I see this often and I think it's probably the best option if you're dead set on doing derm no matter how long and hard the road. One thing to consider is if you went unmatched with derm would you prefer to go completely unmatched from intern programs as well or would you rather just take your intern program then see what happens in the future? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that if you order your rank list in such a way that you don't match any of your derm programs but just match intern programs then you are limited in your access to the SOAP positions (i.e. you are tagged as "matched" because you technically did match one of your ranked choices even though it didn't include an advanced derm spot). Again, I'm not sure of that. I only listed my derm programs on my rank list so that if I didn't match in derm, then I would go completely unmatched and take my chances with the SOAP and be unrestricted by a prelim IM spot that I was then obligated to work at for one year. I guess a lot of this depends on how open you are to other options and specialties. I was certainly willing to entertain other options if derm didn't pan out, but grateful that it did!

It has been a while since I've had any exposure to this system but my limited understanding was that you would still be eligible to scramble for any advanced positions (similar to derm where you would have to do 1 year of prelim first). e.g. radiology, radiation oncology, anesthesiology, etc...

If you wanted to completely switch gears (e.g. select a categorical general surgery program or an emergency medicine residency), then I think you should consider not listing a prelim IM spot on your primary rank order list.

I think the OP's goal of matching into a hardcore academic prelim year is probably the best fallback plan (and the one I selected) as it allows you continue towards derm if that remains the ultimate goal. Most research fellowships offered to those who have graduated medical school request a PGY1 year to be completed. Many of these prelim years will offer you the chance to transition into categorical IM if you decide derm is no longer in your plans.

Your list looks pretty good, but make sure to apply to some TY/prelim close to where you're from or where you went to med school.