Prelim (PGY-1) year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YAGman

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A lot has been discussed in this forum about approaching the ophtho SF match. What about PGY-1 year in medicine (ERAS match)? Can anyone who has been through this process before provide some helpful advice?

Suppose one is applying to 45 ophtho programs across the country. What is the best approach to the ERAS match which will allow for a PGY-1 match in the same city as the ophtho program?

Members don't see this ad.

I recommend applying to prelim programs in your top ten choices of ophthalmology locations. Apply to 25-30 prelim programs. In some cities you would apply to only one prelim program, e.g. Iowa City, in others, maybe 3-5, e.g Los Angeles or Boston. In the city which you currently live, apply to many prelim programs because it's an easy interview trip.

Try to interview for some prelim programs during your ophtho interview trips, scheduling permitting of course. For prelim programs that offer late interviews, schedule them all in the last 2 weeks of Jan, or the 1st week of Feb. That way, when you find out where you match for ophtho, you can interview at the prelim programs in your ophtho location and cancel the rest.

Sometimes, it gets difficult. I interviewed at a prelim program at my #1 ophtho location the day before the match because that was the last interview day for the prelim. I found out the next day that I had wasted 400 bucks because I matched at #2. Fortunately, the next week I had one prelim interview set up at my #2 choice and was able to arrange another in the interim. Most prelims will work with you last minute, especially if they know you've matched in ophtho nearby.

Thanks for the helpful info, Medduck. Would you by chance be able to share some insight on how you approached constructing an ERAS personal statement for PGY-1 year? I don't know about other applicants on this forum, but I'm finding it to be a little difficult since it is just a one year deal.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't worry too much about the eras personal statement. They know you want to go into ophthalmology. I added the following paragraph to the end of my ophtho statement and sent it to the prelims- now that I read it again, it kind of sucks.

"Before beginning my training in ophthalmology, it is important to develop my diagnostic and therapeutic abilities in general medicine to better serve patients in the future. Taking a global perspective to treatment is important in all fields of medicine. Systemic diseases like hypertension and diabetes often manifest first as ophthalmologic problems and it is imperative to understand fundamental treatment principles. Serving one year as a medicine house officer will prepare me for a career treating eye disease using a team approach by interacting with colleagues from primary care and other specialties."

thanks again, medduck. it's surprising, but i guess you're saying it's okay to just make some changes to my ophtho statement? (in other words, it's not necessary to talk about internal medicine apart from ophtho?)

Exactly- no one that I know wrote a different statement for IM. Some even use the ophtho statement without making any changes or additions.