Pregnancy and Fluoroscopy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EruditeDoc

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am not an interventional cardiologist but I do practice pain medicine and perform a great deal of interventional procedures. I am not currently pregnant but actively trying. For the female docs or those who have females within your practice, what did you do / they do during pregnancy? I could likely get my partners to take over my procedure load but I'm not sure if that is completely necessary.

Any input would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

we had a pregnant interventional fellow, she double vested her lead

i asked because I may be in a similar position in a couple years

Reactions: 1 user
Seen a few different approaches. One double leaded. One didn't change a thing. And another just cut back. from what I understand, the critical point is the 1st trimester. But also, at least in the cath lab, the radiation protection is very good and theoretically shouldn't cause any harm. It's really up to the mom-to-be.

Reactions: 1 user
The radiation exposure under the lead is pretty much zero and the risk is highest in the first trimester. I know of two interventional cardiologists who were pregnant and continued to cath. No issues. They typically had to wear a lead monitor for the fetus which was zero. In fact your body monitors should basically be zero if you wear the lead correctly and practice good radiation protection practice (use the shield, drapes, keep away from the patient during Cine or DSA acquisitions etc)