Pre-Residency Ophthalmology Research Options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

microjuju

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! Current MS4 who did not have the opportunity to match this year into Ophthalmology. Looking into doing a research year or pre-residency fellowship. I already know about both Utah and Bascom Palmer Ocular Pathology Fellowships. I would like to know if there are any other research programs available for next year. Thank you to everyone in advance, any info going forward would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Dear applicants,

If you did not match this year, I am sorry. It is a complicated process, and sometimes great applicants like yourself fall through the cracks. If you are set on Ophthalmology and plan to embark on this process again, we have a fantastic opportunity to improve your chances of matching into ophthalmology in the coming year. Again!

The Quality Improvement (QI) Fellowship at Kresge Eye Institute is a one year, paid, pre-residency fellowship for MDs or DOs who intend to pursue a residency position for ophthalmology in 2022 - now that programs are integrated your TY year would be 2022.. We are looking for self-motivated research-oriented applicants. The role of the QI Fellow is to create and execute new research projects, and to assist faculty, residents, fellows, and medical students in preparing new projects.

You will also work one to two days a week in the resident-run ophthalmology walk-in clinic under the direct supervision of an attending physician.

The experience that I've had as the current QI fellow has prepared me well for my career ahead. At Kresge, there are numerous resources, friendly and enthusiastic faculty, and an abundance of projects- you can do anything and everything you want. I have been able to initiate my projects in fields that I am interested in as well as assist others. It has been a hectic and fulfilling year, and I am so thrilled to have matched.

If you have any questions about the position, feel free to PM me. If you would like to apply, please send your CAS application packet to Ms. Deborah Chesney, the Program Coordinator, at dchesney @ med.wayne.edu.

Thank you, and good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Dear applicants,

If you did not match this year, I am sorry. It is a complicated process, and sometimes great applicants like yourself fall through the cracks. If you are set on Ophthalmology and plan to embark on this process again, we have a fantastic opportunity to improve your chances of matching into ophthalmology in the coming year. Again!

The Quality Improvement (QI) Fellowship at Kresge Eye Institute is a one year, paid, pre-residency fellowship for MDs or DOs who intend to pursue a residency position for ophthalmology in 2022 - now that programs are integrated your TY year would be 2022.. We are looking for self-motivated research-oriented applicants. The role of the QI Fellow is to create and execute new research projects, and to assist faculty, residents, fellows, and medical students in preparing new projects.

You will also work one to two days a week in the resident-run ophthalmology walk-in clinic under the direct supervision of an attending physician.

The experience that I've had as the current QI fellow has prepared me well for my career ahead. At Kresge, there are numerous resources, friendly and enthusiastic faculty, and an abundance of projects- you can do anything and everything you want. I have been able to initiate my projects in fields that I am interested in as well as assist others. It has been a hectic and fulfilling year, and I am so thrilled to have matched.

If you have any questions about the position, feel free to PM me. If you would like to apply, please send your CAS application packet to Ms. Deborah Chesney, the Program Coordinator, at dchesney @ med.wayne.edu.

Hi! Thank you so much
Dear applicants,

thank you so much for this post 😍 I am interested in the position for this coming year 2022 but I have a few questions for the current QI fellow about their experience🙈is there anyway I can reach out to him/her?