Pre-residency fellow opportunity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greymew

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

There is an funded preresidency fellowship position available at one of the hospitals I cover in Detroit. It would be primarily for the endovascular service, but could cross over to the general neurosurgery team as well. An interested DO could track into the neurosurgery residency program if they do well over the year. An interested MD could make contacts and get letters of recommendation from well-respected neurosurgeons if they do well.

Please let me know by email if there is interest in the position or questions about it.

Thanks,
-Jason
Neurosurgery, PGY5
[email protected]

-Update-
After receiving some emails, I realize I was not clear enough. This position is for someone who already graduated from medical school, but did not match to a neurosurgery residency.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is this at Providence Hospital? I met one of the guys currently doing the fellowship on the interview trail this year. I'm shocked that someone fresh out of med school would be allowed to put in coils, while most residents have to wait years before they do that. In any case, when I was talking to him he made it sound like it was a nice experience, with plenty of hands on opportunities, so hopefully it'll be useful to someone down the line.

Is this at Providence Hospital? I met one of the guys currently doing the fellowship on the interview trail this year. I'm shocked that someone fresh out of med school would be allowed to put in coils, while most residents have to wait years before they do that. In any case, when I was talking to him he made it sound like it was a nice experience, with plenty of hands on opportunities, so hopefully it'll be useful to someone down the line.

The real question with respect to whether or not it would be useful: Did he match?

It is for the St. John Providence health system - we have 3 hospitals that do endovascular neurosurgery procedures and draw from a large southeast Michigan stroke network. The doctor you met on the interview trail is doing coilings as are all the residents in our program once they are competent doing diagnostics - some people progress faster than others. Incidentally, not only did he match, but he filled a PGY2 position since he had already done an internship elsewhere.