This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gf08

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated from college with a chemistry pre-med degree in 2013 my cGPA was a 3.23. I did a few years of research in an Ochem lab and my favorite classes were my pharmacology classes. After college I was unsure which path I wanted to take so I didn’t do anything. I ended up getting involved in drugs and had struggled with that for a couple years. I finally got my feet back under me and have been sober for some time. After much research on different jobs, I am now interested in furthing my education in pursuit of becoming a medical science liason. If anyone has any advice on my situation/the course of action I should take, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

A PhD would be the best course to take if you are interested in MSL. A PharmD is largely a waste of money unless if you’re okay with going into retail since that is where the vast majority of the jobs are.

Reactions: 1 users
I graduated from college with a chemistry pre-med degree in 2013 my cGPA was a 3.23. I did a few years of research in an Ochem lab and my favorite classes were my pharmacology classes. After college I was unsure which path I wanted to take so I didn’t do anything. I ended up getting involved in drugs and had struggled with that for a couple years. I finally got my feet back under me and have been sober for some time. After much research on different jobs, I am now interested in furthing my education in pursuit of becoming a medical science liason. If anyone has any advice on my situation/the course of action I should take, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

If you had issues with any opiate drugs I would avoid pharmacy. I have heard lots of stories of pharmacists being addicted overdosing or pharm Techs stealing opiates getting fired then dying from an heroin overdose later. I imagine if you use opiates recreationally it will be way too tempting to use them if you are around hydrocodone and oxycodone every day.

Have you considered RN, PA, radiologist tech, optometrist or computer science.

Members don't see this ad :)
RNs and sometimes PAs have easy access to drugs too. Computer science or engineering would probably be your best bet. These are also less stressful compared to most of the health professions.

A PhD would be the best course to take if you are interested in MSL. A PharmD is largely a waste of money unless if you’re okay with going into retail since that is where the vast majority of the jobs are.

I would never say a PharmD education is a waste of money. Just because there is a growing number of pharmacy jobs in retail does not mean that’s where the majority is or that that’s where the future is heading. Getting your PharmD will teach you to have a strong work ethic and if you can apply that ethic to other areas, outside of the classroom, then there’s no reason you need to be okay with just retail.

I would never say a PharmD education is a waste of money. Just because there is a growing number of pharmacy jobs in retail does not mean that’s where the majority is or that that’s where the future is heading. Getting your PharmD will teach you to have a strong work ethic and if you can apply that ethic to other areas, outside of the classroom, then there’s no reason you need to be okay with just retail.
There is NOT a growing number of jobs in retail, retail jobs are shrinking and there will be many more pharmacists than jobs in just a few years. Retail salaries are falling now and jobs are hard to find NOW. If you want a PharmD, you will need a strong work ethic as you will be doing all kinds of side hustles like driving for Lyft/Uber and working at Starbucks to make ends meet. You will find a full-time pharmacist job anywhere hard to come by unless your parents own a pharmacy. Plumbers and Electricians have a strong work ethic and will not be 200-300K in debt with a degree that gives them a strong work ethic.

Reactions: 1 user

Not to worry, there will be a PGY30 in Pharmacy Work Ethic soon that will let you set yourself apart from the competition in this saturated job market.

Thank you for sharing your story, OP. I’m at a similar crossroad in my career (minus the drug abuse problem - no judgement passed). I hold a bachelors degree in biochemistry from a major university, have seven years of experience working as a certified pharmacy technician before and during college (extensive experience with non-sterile/sterile compounding), currently working as a clinical research associate (clinical monitor) with a global contract research organization. Earlier this year, I started collaborating with MSLs through a study I monitor, developing a biologic for UC/CD, and was quickly intrigued with the role. While the money is great and growth nearly unlimited as a CRA, I truly believe that the role of an MSL is my calling and a solid match for my skills and therapeutic knowledge, the roadblock in my case is admittance into pharmacy school due to my mediocre performance in my undergraduate degree. For me, I think it’s mostly a matter of somehow getting through the pile of applications for a chance to meet admissions committees and show that I am not the immature 22 year-old I was during my undergrad - I am totally different, mature, motivated, and prepared to excel in the challenge that is pharmacy school. For now, I am planning on retaking a number of my pre-requisite courses and retaking the PCAT, which will prove difficult because I’m on the road constantly. But, it is definitely comforting to know that there are others out there in similar situations. Just like you, I was unsure of my path after graduating with my bachelors degree, but where there is a will, there is a way...I hope.

Wishing you the best of luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Your GPA is considered low for medical school admissions but dont let that discourage you. Do very well on the MCAT and make sure that you speak on your research, if you choose to go that route. You can also go to Pharmacy School ( you gpa and research expericence would make you an ideal candidate for most pharmacy schools) or you can obtain a PhD There are many pathways to becoming a MSL. As of now the best thing for you do is figure out who can write you an excellent letter of recommendation (that'll be important no matter what graduate program you enter).
I also had a question for you. I'm currently completing my prerequisites for pharmacy school and your research experience sounds really interesting. How did you find out about the opportunity?

Thank you for sharing your story, OP. I’m at a similar crossroad in my career (minus the drug abuse problem - no judgement passed). I hold a bachelors degree in biochemistry from a major university, have seven years of experience working as a certified pharmacy technician before and during college (extensive experience with non-sterile/sterile compounding), currently working as a clinical research associate (clinical monitor) with a global contract research organization. Earlier this year, I started collaborating with MSLs through a study I monitor, developing a biologic for UC/CD, and was quickly intrigued with the role. While the money is great and growth nearly unlimited as a CRA, I truly believe that the role of an MSL is my calling and a solid match for my skills and therapeutic knowledge, the roadblock in my case is admittance into pharmacy school due to my mediocre performance in my undergraduate degree. For me, I think it’s mostly a matter of somehow getting through the pile of applications for a chance to meet admissions committees and show that I am not the immature 22 year-old I was during my undergrad - I am totally different, mature, motivated, and prepared to excel in the challenge that is pharmacy school. For now, I am planning on retaking a number of my pre-requisite courses and retaking the PCAT, which will prove difficult because I’m on the road constantly. But, it is definitely comforting to know that there are others out there in similar situations. Just like you, I was unsure of my path after graduating with my bachelors degree, but where there is a will, there is a way...I hope.

Wishing you the best of luck!
What's your GPA? I'm surprised a pharmacy school has yet to snatch you up with that resume. You have a BS in Biochemistry, You've worked as a certified pharmacy technician for 7 YEARS??????!!!!! On top of that you've done CLINICAL RESEARCH!!!! Your resume is amazing. If GPA is a problem retake some of those course at your local community college and retake the PCAT and kick ass on it. Do those things and trust me you WILL get in somewhere. Apply to research based pharmacy schools (University of Buffalo, Ferris State University, University of Toledo) and during your interviews make sure you talk about why your GPA was low, how you raised it and what you learned from that experience and discuss what your action plan was to fix your bad grades. Please hang in there and DO NOT GIVE UP!!!! You're resume even with "poor grades" is still an amazing one.
Good Luck.