Pre-reqs??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

golfmontpoker

I hate chemistry
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all. I tried doing a search on pre-reqs for MPH or MHA programs to no avail. Anyways are there any pre-reqs (class wise) for MPH or MHA programs? Im currently a senior getting my bachelors in Biology with minors in business and chemistry. I really wanna jump right into a masters program but im affraid the lack of work experiance is going to be a detour for me.

Is it possible to get into a MPH or MHA program right after UG? Im kinda getting scaried here at the thought of not knowing what im going to do after i graduate. Would really like to get a sense of security before i graduate. Thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi golfmontpoker,

There are a variety of programs out there, and each has its own particular set of requirements and guidelines.

Many MPH programs will accept you right out of undergrad, but some (e.g. Hopkins, Harvard) have different master's programs for people with and without work experience.

Prerequisites tend to be fairly flexible for MPH programs. Especially with a background in biology, chemistry, and business, you probably will have taken the types of courses programs like to see: biology, math through calculus, statistics, social science, economics, etc. Depending on the type of program (general MPH, or an MPH in a specific area, or MHA), they may have particular sets of courses that they emphasize. Programs' websites should list any specific prerequisites if they exist, or else they'll give a general list like I gave above.

The most important thing for a successful application (aside from your academic record) is that you know why you want an MPH or MHA, and have some idea what your goals are and how the degree program will help you achieve those goals. If you have no experience at all (including lab work, volunteer work, health-related internships, etc.), I'd recommend seeking out such opportunities in your senior year. It would be a great way to get some exposure to MPH- or MHA-like work, and to confirm for yourself and for admissions committees that you are committed to pursuing a career in this field.

Good luck!

Hey golfmontpoker,

I agree with Namazu. You should also check out the sticky links for accreditation websites. They have compiled a nice list for you of the member schools often with direct links.
Additionally I feel that Columbia, Emory, U of M Ann Arbor and perhaps UC Berkeley have pretty clearly delineated course requirements, at least for their specific division-offerings.
FYI I know of people accepted into the MPH programs at OSU, U of M Ann Arbor, Yale, BU and Emory directly out of undergrad.

:luck: