No GRE required/MCAT as GRE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medbunny56

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
can anyone list the MPH schools off the top of their head that don't require the GRE or will accept the MCAT instead?

Members don't see this ad.

Johns Hopkins requires GRE so many MDs don't apply. Most other programs will accept MCAT or even waive standardized testing for MDs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Johns Hopkins requires GRE so many MDs don't apply. Most other programs will accept MCAT or even waive standardized testing for MDs.

Hopkins will accept the MCAT for many of its PhD programs, but not for the MPH. So weird.

Don't let this fact deter you or lead your decision making when it comes to which MPH programs you are interested in. The GRE is far far easier than the MCAT. At worst, you take the GRE. In other words, do not miss out on a great program just because they do not take the MCAT. Good luck!

Don't let this fact deter you or lead your decision making when it comes to which MPH programs you are interested in. The GRE is far far easier than the MCAT. At worst, you take the GRE. In other words, do not miss out on a great program just because they do not take the MCAT. Good luck!

This is good advice. For me personally though it was a deciding factor because when I decided to apply, it was too late to take the GRE and make the deadline. So I just said "I didn't like you anyway Hopkins" and considered it their loss. When almost every other program (including Harvard) takes the MCAT and Hopkins doesn't, they will inevitably miss out on many well qualified MDs.

Last edited:
This is good advice. For me personally though it was a deciding factor because when I decided to apply, it was too late to take the GRE and make the deadline. So I just said "I didn't like you anyway Hopkins" and considered it their loss. When almost every other program (including Harvard) takes the MCAT and Hopkins doesn't, they will inevitably miss out on many well qualified MDs.

Hopkins does accept the MCAT for their MPH program.

NYU & Tufts will waive the GRE & the MCAT if you're an MD.