"Pre-qualification" paperwork for Army HPSP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scotsdoc54

MS0
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have a meeting with our local Army recruiter in a few weeks to talk about HPSP and other programs. Our closest AMEDD recruiter is in WV, so this guy told me we'd meet and do some "pre-qualification" paperwork and get in contact with the AMEDD guy in WV. What is this "pre-qual" paperwork, anyone know? I'm real hesitant to sign anything. He did ask me questions about what my undergrad degree was in, etc. Obviously, I know not to sign anything, but if he's going to start paperwork should I even bother going to the meeting? I honestly just want to get some information from a real AMEDD recruiter and get some things in "writing" before I consider the military options. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

i just did all the "pre-qualification paperwork" for HPSP.

The non-AMEDD guy shouldn't want anything more than your gpa, mcat, and some background about your education, and criminal history. That's basically all the info the AMEDD guy would need and then that recruiter would send info to your AMEDD recruiter. He'll then send you the paperwork for the application itself.

I'm in the process of being boarded for the scholarship and haven't seen the actual HPSP contract yet, so I don't know if you'll find anything in "writing" until it all pans out.

This forum is a great resource if you have specific questions. you can get a real perspective vs. the recruiter's rosy picture of the program.

You'll know if you joined the Army or not. It's not like buying a car, where all of the sudden the "quote" you just signed is now the purchase agreement. In order for you to be in, you have to commission. That involves standing at attention, raising your hand to the square and repeating an oath of office that is not ambiguous.

The HPSP contract is approximately 30 pages long. You won't be doing that in one sitting with your recruiter either.

In all honesty, getting all of the paperwork in, resigning the forms that had changed in the two months since the first ones, making sure that all of the paperwork was received and processed at both Ft. Knox AND Falls Church, VA, resigning a few of the forms again and then hounding everyone involved for two months was a giant pain in the hinder. The pertinent point for you is that, at no point, would it have advanced if I wasn't harping on it most of the way, so no, you won't be hoodwinked into the army on HPSP. You'll be lucky if all of your paperwork gets processed before school starts.

Last edited:
Don't sign your life away man, there are better ways. Look into FAP. Don't mortgage your future.