Pre Pharmacy Observation/Shadowing Advice HELP!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pharm2024

Reaction score
I am currently completing 20 hours of required observation/shadowing in a pharmacy for my pharmacy school application in December. The problem is, the pharmacist rarely talks to me or shows me what he is doing. I just stand there awkwardly and try to ask him questions when he is not busy talking to other people or working. I don't have time to switch pharmacies and I have completed 8 hours so far, so I need to just get through it. Do y'all have any advice about how to start conversation / what to ask about pharmacy-related. We have already talked about where he went to school, where he has worked, likes, dislikes, hospital vs. retail, etc... Is there anything else?!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds like you have gotten to know him a little and asked for general advice. What about the things he is doing? For example, asking their thought process while verifying a prescription or what he thinks about different issues or patients he encounters. You could also offer to be less passive and help out with small tasks here and there. Finally, you could also ask to shadow other staff while you are there too. Seeing what technicians do can give helpful perspective.

If you get into pharmacy school, you will see that often you need to be the one to advocate for yourself and your learning. As an intern you might just be asked to fill or do something repetitive for a day, but it is up to you to initiate discussions or ask for various experiences.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.