General Admissions & OTCAS PRE-OT: Gap Year & Experience HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AspiringOT_WI

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I am new to this thread/forum, but what I have read has been incredibly helpful already so I decided to join!

I graduated with a kinesiology degree in August 2015. I thought I would NEVER go back to school. Well that has changed! I started working with children and adults with disabilities and discovered the amazing world of Occupational Therapy and instantly knew that this is what I wanted to do for the rest of my life.

This whole process is honestly so overwhelming to me and I just want to make sure I do everything I can before I apply. I am from Wisconsin so I would be looking to stay in the Midwest if I could. Not opposed to applying other places if I had a shot though!

GPA: 3.1
PRE REQS: ~3.3 (A's and B's)
(Currently taking and re-taking some at a local CC)

Work Experience: I currently work with adults and children with disabilities in a therapeutic recreation department. Had a 600 hour internship that included assisting with a 12-week program for cancer survivors and helping therapists with a class for adults with Parkinson's disease.
Observation: ~50 hours in the school setting.
Volunteer: Starting this week.... volunteering to help with a program that helps adults with alzheimer's and dementia. A few years ago, I volunteered for about 100 hours at a hospital as a surgery greeter and for about 50 hours at a nursing home painting nails. I wonder if that would count or if they have to be recent?

So that is what I have so far!! I am hoping to apply for Fall 2017 so most of the apps are due in January.

Here are some questions...
- Should I take the GRE? If so.. when?
- Applying early? Does it help?
- Schools in the Midwest that I might have a chance of getting into?
- How many volunteer/observation hours would be good to get?

Please help me with any and all advice! Its only April, so I have about 8 months to do as much as I can! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!

I'm actually planning on taking a gap year too for several reasons.

As someone who applied this cycle (got into 1 program, waitlisted at 2), here's what I wish I would have done to increased my chances:
-Taken the GRE prior to applications opening up/allowing time for a potential re-take before submitting applications
-Applied earlier...I waited until November and I think that definitely cost me in at least 1 program. I know a lot of schools start reviewing as applications come in, and some classes start to fill up before the deadline. They say it doesn't matter a lot of the time, but I honestly think the earlier the better.
-I would try and get as many hours as you can in more than one discipline (i.e. inpatient v. outpatient, SNF, pediatrics, geriatrics, rehab, etc). At the same time, however, I would aim for about 20 plus hours/locations to get to know the OT(s) you will be observing to help them write you meaningful recommendations. Quality settings > quantity of settings, in my opinion.

Lastly, I strongly recommend being organized from the beginning and having your list of schools ready to go by August. Allow plenty of time for recommendation letters, OTCAS verification, and know what you need and for what schools from the start. It's a long, stressful application process but being more organized would have saved me so much stress in the long run.

Good luck :)

Reactions: 1 users
Wow! Your work experience along with your observation/volunteer hours sound amazing! You've definitely seen many sides of healthcare. I took the GRE around October and submitted everything as soon as the scores were made available (roughly late October, early November.)

Applying early definitely helps. You have more interview dates available if given the choice of choosing dates. I know Creighton sends interview invite emails and let you choose the date best suited for your schedule. Applying early also gives you more than enough time to re-send transcripts that may have been lost in the mail. You don't want to apply 2 weeks before deadlines since programs most likely have most of the class already picked out.

Get as many hours as you can while staying sane during the application process. It can get overwhelming. Make sure you have enough time to write your personal statement and to edit it as much as possible.

In regards to staying local, that's definitely a good idea, however, don't limit yourself. I live in Los Angeles, and schools here, along with living expenses, are ridiculous. I am actually attending a program literally across the country in Connecticut that works better for me financially. :)

Good luck with your applications!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you!!
Hello!

I'm actually planning on taking a gap year too for several reasons.

As someone who applied this cycle (got into 1 program, waitlisted at 2), here's what I wish I would have done to increased my chances:
-Taken the GRE prior to applications opening up/allowing time for a potential re-take before submitting applications
-Applied earlier...I waited until November and I think that definitely cost me in at least 1 program. I know a lot of schools start reviewing as applications come in, and some classes start to fill up before the deadline. They say it doesn't matter a lot of the time, but I honestly think the earlier the better.
-I would try and get as many hours as you can in more than one discipline (i.e. inpatient v. outpatient, SNF, pediatrics, geriatrics, rehab, etc). At the same time, however, I would aim for about 20 plus hours/locations to get to know the OT(s) you will be observing to help them write you meaningful recommendations. Quality settings > quantity of settings, in my opinion.

Lastly, I strongly recommend being organized from the beginning and having your list of schools ready to go by August. Allow plenty of time for recommendation letters, OTCAS verification, and know what you need and for what schools from the start. It's a long, stressful application process but being more organized would have saved me so much stress in the long run.

Good luck :)

Thank you! Yes, I have realized that I have to be VERY organized with everything. Time has been flying by!!! I am currently trying to put together a list of schools that I am going to apply to and I better get to studying for the GRE! I just finished my classes today and got all A's so that should help!

Thank you again for your help! :)

Wow! Your work experience along with your observation/volunteer hours sound amazing! You've definitely seen many sides of healthcare. I took the GRE around October and submitted everything as soon as the scores were made available (roughly late October, early November.)

Applying early definitely helps. You have more interview dates available if given the choice of choosing dates. I know Creighton sends interview invite emails and let you choose the date best suited for your schedule. Applying early also gives you more than enough time to re-send transcripts that may have been lost in the mail. You don't want to apply 2 weeks before deadlines since programs most likely have most of the class already picked out.

Get as many hours as you can while staying sane during the application process. It can get overwhelming. Make sure you have enough time to write your personal statement and to edit it as much as possible.

In regards to staying local, that's definitely a good idea, however, don't limit yourself. I live in Los Angeles, and schools here, along with living expenses, are ridiculous. I am actually attending a program literally across the country in Connecticut that works better for me financially. :)

Good luck with your applications!

Trying to stay sane, YES! I can not believe it is already almost May! That makes a lot of sense about the applications. I am going to try my best to get everything submitted way before the deadlines. (Have to put together a list of schools still) I am thinking of applying to maybe 5 or 6?

Thank you for your advice! :)

Hi there @AspiringOT_WI! Congrats on finishing school, it's no easy task! It's great that you're thinking in advance about applying OT schools, because it can be a tough application process.

I write a blog about OT that you might find helpful as you are taking the GRE, deciding on schools, writing application essays, etc. You can find it at https://gottabeot.wordpress.com/applying-to-ot-school/. Best of luck going through the process, and welcome to the amazing world of OT!

I did a gap year and my advice is:

Aim for around 4 different settings, even if its just 5-10 hours in two of them. But make sure one setting is over a long term period where you can accumulate a LOT of hours and recieve a strong LOR.
Start your essay now and make it good
take the GRE early because if you don't do well you will allow time to study and retake it later on, and spots fill up very fast
Make sure you have mostly A's in prereqs

I did a gap year and my advice is:

Aim for around 4 different settings, even if its just 5-10 hours in two of them. But make sure one setting is over a long term period where you can accumulate a LOT of hours and recieve a strong LOR.
Start your essay now and make it good
take the GRE early because if you don't do well you will allow time to study and retake it later on, and spots fill up very fast
Make sure you have mostly A's in prereqs

Thank you for your advice! I just registered to the take GRE in August and I am hoping to finish and submit all my applications by late September/early October. Do you think that I should take the GRE earlier than August?

Hi there @AspiringOT_WI! Congrats on finishing school, it's no easy task! It's great that you're thinking in advance about applying OT schools, because it can be a tough application process.

I write a blog about OT that you might find helpful as you are taking the GRE, deciding on schools, writing application essays, etc. You can find it at https://gottabeot.wordpress.com/applying-to-ot-school/. Best of luck going through the process, and welcome to the amazing world of OT!

THANK YOU!!! Love your blog, very helpful!! :)

Reactions: 1 user
UPDATE:

I just signed up to take the GRE on August 13th! Originally, I was not planning on taking it (I am a horrible test taker and the thought of it scares the crap out of me) and only going to apply to schools that did not require it, BUT I have realized that it opens up soooo many more options for me so I am going to try my best and study my butt off!

With this being said, does anyone have any advice on how to study for it? Books, websites, etc.

Do you think 3 months will be enough time? Should I take it earlier and then take it again?

Thank you everyone for your help! :)

The 2nd time i took the GRE I had a 6 point increase.

I went through Kaplan and barron practice tests.

I was working 60 hours a week so I only spent an hour or so at night. You could probably do much better.

Only take the test when you feel like you can do well on it.

Thank you for your advice! I just registered to the take GRE in August and I am hoping to finish and submit all my applications by late September/early October. Do you think that I should take the GRE earlier than August?
august would be fine and if you do bad do it again in october

UPDATE:

I just signed up to take the GRE on August 13th! Originally, I was not planning on taking it (I am a horrible test taker and the thought of it scares the crap out of me) and only going to apply to schools that did not require it, BUT I have realized that it opens up soooo many more options for me so I am going to try my best and study my butt off!

With this being said, does anyone have any advice on how to study for it? Books, websites, etc.

Do you think 3 months will be enough time? Should I take it earlier and then take it again?

Thank you everyone for your help! :)
I used Magoosh which is an online study program which I found helpful because the test is computerized. I found the questions to be harder than the test which is obviously extremely encouraging if you're doing well on the study system.I went up 12 points on my total score when I used Magoosh. The price is reasonable as well.

I used Magoosh which is an online study program which I found helpful because the test is computerized. I found the questions to be harder than the test which is obviously extremely encouraging if you're doing well on the study system.I went up 12 points on my total score when I used Magoosh. The price is reasonable as well.
Thank you! I will look into that! :)

ANOTHER UPDATE! :)

Observation Hours
- 40 hours school setting
- 25 hours outpatient rehab/hand therapy
- 20 hours SNF
- 5 hours hippotherapy

Total = 90 hours

Is this enough to make me a competitive applicant? Or should I focus on getting more?

Depends on program.

I had more hours OT and volunteer stuff.

Which schools were you looking at?