pre-naplex vs naplex

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tobie

When in doubt, open another pharmacy school
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know the correlation between the pre-naplex scores and naplex scores? didnt score too hot, and was wondering if there was any hope for me.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I took the Pre-NAPLEX one time and ended up scoring 19 points higher on the actual NAPLEX. :)

I scored 103 on the pre-naplex and 131 on the naplex. The pre-naplex will also give you a range of where you might score on the naplex.

Guys I scored a 95 (range: 69-115) on the pre-naplex...I have my Naplex in 4 days, July 16, what should I do?? Reschedule? or should I just go ahead and take it.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you pass pre-naplex with flying colors, you should pass naplex. if you are failing the pre-naplex you have some serious work to do.

I scored about 10 points higher on the actual NAPLEX.
I think a good thing to do is take the pre-Naplex about 1 week before your scheduled Naplex this way you still have time for improvement if you aren't satisfied with your score.

I just took the pre-NAPLEX (NAPLEX proper on Thursday).

If that thing is correct I'm pretty stoked to take this thing on about 8 hours of studying.

But we'll see on Thursday...

why are you even worrying about, there is people in our class that can barely read and passed the naplex, you will do fine....

Reactions: 1 user
why are you even worrying about, there is people in our class that can barely read and passed the naplex, you will do fine....

have you heard of anyone failing? The lowest score I've heard so far was a 99, but admittedly not everyone shares their score.

I just took the pre-NAPLEX (NAPLEX proper on Thursday).

If that thing is correct I'm pretty stoked to take this thing on about 8 hours of studying.

But we'll see on Thursday...

Hi Njac,
Looks like we are both taking our exams on the same day. What a coincidence. Any way good luck and we will celebrate together in few days.

Cheers!

I scored 103 on the pre-naplex and 131 on the naplex. The pre-naplex will also give you a range of where you might score on the naplex.

dgroulx when did you take your pre-naplex compared to the actual naplex? I took mine and got around your score as well, but now i'm worried b/c the lower range scares me that any bad luck can hurt me. I only have about a week too before the test

dgroulx when did you take your pre-naplex compared to the actual naplex? I took mine and got around your score as well, but now i'm worried b/c the lower range scares me that any bad luck can hurt me. I only have about a week too before the test

Hello guys,
i am taking my naplex on 7-31 and was wondering when i should take prenaplex? i was thinking 7-26 so i have some days to focus on what i get wrong... so stressful
thanks

I think it helped calm my nerves. I didn't feel super awesome about the pre-NAPLEX but once I saw my score I felt so much better.

got a 128 on the prenaplex (range 111-137) it was def good to take to calm my nerves as i had been doing around 70% right on the kaplan qbank questions. took the naplex 2 days later and found out i passed 2 days later. got my results in the mail yesterday, 136. so it's a good gauge.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pre-NAPLEX: 121
Actual NAPLEX: 139

Took the pre-Nap one week before the exam. It helped to relax me, familiarized me with the format, and time management. I recommend it.

pre-naplex 2 days before the exam: 128 (111-137)

NAPLEX (with no extra studying): 138.

amazingly, my prenaplex scores were 103 and 112, but my NAPLEX score was 130. It's a huge jump. I took the first test 8 days before the actual NAPLEX, the second prenaplex 3 days prior to the actual NAPLEX.

For the person above, I only used the APhA book. I read it 3 times.

I got 123 (103-134) in pre-naplex. I gave my naplex yesterday and I found it to be lot harder than pre-naplex. I am waiting for my result and I am not sure how well I did as there was lot of guess work. I think pre-naplex should ONLY serve the purpose of giving you a feel of the real exam. One can not extrapolate his/her performance to naplex based on pre-naplex...
I hope I pass this....I will post my result whatever it is going to be...
Good luck...

I got 123 (103-134) in pre-naplex. I gave my naplex yesterday and I found it to be lot harder than pre-naplex. I am waiting for my result and I am not sure how well I did as there was lot of guess work. I think pre-naplex should ONLY serve the purpose of giving you a feel of the real exam. One can not extrapolate his/her performance to naplex based on pre-naplex...
I hope I pass this....I will post my result whatever it is going to be...
Good luck...

Why was it harder? Was it the math? Cases? I got a 122 on pre naplex and plan on taking it on Fri. I was feeling good until i read this. Math is my weak point and I had 8 questions on pre naplex that were math. Some I was not sure of especially when they give you tons of extra info.

Why was it harder? Was it the math? Cases? I got a 122 on pre naplex and plan on taking it on Fri. I was feeling good until i read this. Math is my weak point and I had 8 questions on pre naplex that were math. Some I was not sure of especially when they give you tons of extra info.

I think there were more direct questions in pre-naplex as compared to naplex, which was flooded with patient profiles (>50% in my exam). Having said that, if you are thorough with your preparation, then you will be alright. Also do not get nervous in the exam if you are bombarded with series of unfamiliar questions where you have to make lot of guesses. I didn't pay much attention to vaccines and immunosuppressants but I received couple of questions from each of them.
I don't know what will happen with my result but I am hoping that with my preparation and educated guesses with take me through.
For maths, read each question carefully and before marking your answer, double check the units. Overall maths wasn't tough and I guess I answered all of them correctly except 2-3 questions where I had to guess.
Don't worry you will do well. My last suggestion....do not get nervous at any point of time...
Good luck

hello everybody
took my NAPLEX on friday the 21st . i guess i'll fail , as my first time in every test i took before :)
never heard of most of the questions before, not in kaplan or in apha or even the 2 pre-naplexes i took. math is my real strength , i am reallyy sure i got all my problems correct as usual :)))) . and i am happy that my last 20 Qs were just math.
would that help if i am really weak in the rest .
i do not even know if my test was hard or not :))) , its was like 85 % of hospitalized full patient profiles , all lab tests you may think of was done on almost every profile. and 80 % of quetions were about the counsling :(((( .
real weird test, lots of quetions about the pharmaceutical refernce books.
what do you guys and gals think ???!!!!!

I would definitely suggest taking the pre-naplex...take the pre-naplex and after u answer the question...look it up to see what was correct...and read why the pther answers weren't correct....or read other drugs lsited if ur not familiar with the name (all brand name usually)....but don't look up the answer before u answer....so u get accurate results....u will notice your weak points.

pre-naplex one week before test: 97 (70-117)
pre-naplex day of test after 3 days of studying: 118 (105-130)

NAPLEX: 128

One area I know I was lacking was the side effects and common dosage forms. I was fine with interactions and general pharmacology.

I would brush up on max dosages...common starting doses...and common side effects and counseling for the most common drug classes...and the calculations are usually easy points.

Study Materials: APhA review (read 3 times), QBank, top 200 RX drug cards

Pre-Naplex (one week prior): 103 (79 - 124)
Naplex: 134

Taking the NAPLEX on Monday (2 days from now) and just did the Pre-NAPLEX.

Result:

Range:

85-124

My impression:

There were a few questions that were very easy and many that were very, very difficult. I was guessing my way through for the most part. The second to last question I had literally no idea and just made up an answer. This thing must be heavily curved, because there is no way I got even half of these right. It does, however, curb some of my anxiety in taking the NAPLEX.

Hi aelephant,

How was your exam? Can you share your experience with us?

I felt it was easier than my Pre-NAPLEX. The Pre-NAPLEX is great though, because it gives you a good idea of what you need to focus on.

I found the APhA review book to be very helpful. Some of the questions on my NAPLEX were almost word for word like those in the APhA review book. So that helped immensely. There is so much info in that book though, it would be almost impossible to know every little detail about every aspect of pharmacy (unless you have been practicing and studying for many more years than I have). Feel the same way about the NAPLEX. I don't think you are expected to know everything. Knowing SOME of those minute details bumps your score up that much more. Knowing the basics is what gives you the confidence to answer the easy questions without spending 5 minutes on each profile.

I guess knowing how I scored on the Pre-NAPLEX and how hard I interpretted that to be, I feel pretty confident. If I hadn't taken that, I might be doubting myself now and worrying about whether or not I passed. Like some others have said though, if you're not in the bottom 5-10% of your class, the likelihood of you failing is SOOO small.

I didn't spend much time reviewing the top 200, which probably hurt me a little. I've worked retail so I knew many of them, but not all. I started a couple of days before the test and made cards of the ones I didn't immediately recognize. I still missed at least one very easy brand-generic question on the NAPLEX.

I spent the night before my NAPLEX studying the calculations stuff (compounding, mEqs, osmolarity, that kind of stuff). The calculation questions got progressively harder and there were just a couple I couldn't solve (PK type stuff... no way I was memorizing all of those equations).

Any specific questions?

Update: 128 on my NAPLEX! Whoa doggie!

Now I just have to wait to hear back about my MJPE.

Is the pre-naplex exam for the APHA 6th edition in the CD rom? did'nt see anything in the book. Don't have the Kaplan book. Thanks.

The pre-NAPLEX is something you sign up for on the NABP website. APhA has their own practice questions.

Thanks! never thought about looking there. So its def worth the $50 huh?. Also, It has two tests with 50 questions each. The actual NAPLEX has 180 questions. Is that right?

Has anyone passed the Pre-Naplex and gone on to fail the real naplex?

Scanning these posts, it appears the answer is no, but anything is possible.

For the ones that got above 100, how much time did u spend preparing?

Also, for the top 200 drugs: is it just brand and generic or did u study dosage forms and dosing + side effects as well?? I feel like the dosage forms/dosing is so overwhelming! I just started for about a week and so worried....

I just took the Pre-Naplex, everyone is saying you get to take it twice, but it doesn't seem to be letting me do it.

Pre-NAPLEX: 102 (81-119)
I have only been studying for about 3 days and I am taking the NAPLEX on Friday of this week, so hopefully it will be enough. Taking the Pre-NAPLEX really helped to alleviate some of my anxiety.

I just took the Pre-Naplex, everyone is saying you get to take it twice, but it doesn't seem to be letting me do it.

Pre-NAPLEX: 102 (81-119)
I have only been studying for about 3 days and I am taking the NAPLEX on Friday of this week, so hopefully it will be enough. Taking the Pre-NAPLEX really helped to alleviate some of my anxiety.

I would not waste the money...you will do fine.

I read through these forums and talked to several peers who took the exam in the preceding years, and the conclusion I came to was that the Naplex is nearly impossible to fail. So I decided to take everyones' advice and not study for the Naplex.

Took the pre-naplex 6 days before the exam without even so much as opening a review book. Got a 100 on the PRE-Naplex.

6 days later after maybe 2 hours of studying total (I wanted to review some of the questiosn I got wrong on the prenaplex, mainly just out of curiousity), I got a 102 on the Naplex.

It seems like a pretty good indicator. However, I thought thought the questions on the Naplex were a LOT harder, and I felt I got a greater percentage wrong than I did on the pre-naplex, so they may not be scored exactly the same. I am guessing the "scaling" used to generate the Naplex score is slightly more generous than the Pre-Naplex. No evidence to back it up, just my opinion based on my experiences.

On a side note, I look forward to about a year from now when they release the lists of schools and their corresponding pass/fail rates. I wonder if the new blueprint along with the "New Passing Standard" (referenced here: http://www.nabp.net/programs/examination/naplex/naplex-blueprint/ ) effects the passing rate. According to the NABP the score of 75 is still the required score to pass, so the system used to scale the score must have changed.

Last edited:
I just had to post on here because I read this and got really scared because of how seemingly well correlated the pre naplex and naplex sounded on this post..well I took the pre naplex and got an 82 on it and scored a 114 on the real thing. That's a 30 plus point difference! Not so well correlated I would say

My fiance and I both got within 5 points of our pre-naplex, with little extra studying. One of our friends however had roughly a 25-30 point increase on the real thing as compared to their pre-naplex.

Good indicator? Maybe, Maybe not

Help calm your nerves before the big day? Yes

I scored an 85 on the pre naplex on 2 different attempts. I scored a 105 on the actual naplex. I don't think the pre-naplex is a good indicator of how you will do on the naplex. I had very few calculations on my pre naplex and had many calculations (30+) on the real naplex. If you know your calculations....the more the better. Also I don't know if the pre naplex is adaptive and scores your exam with the same weights as the real naplex. Also the prenaplex has lots of the questions with answers such as A and B, A and C, All of the above. My naplex had a few of those but more "click all that apply" questions.

I do think if you do well on the pre-naplex that you will pass the naplex. However, I also think that he naplex is much easier than any practice test and that the way it is graded is VERY favorable to the test taker.