Pre-med VT vs UVA

oceanisthepink

Reaction score
High school senior here. I am planning to major bio on pre-med track and a possible minor in business or something (I'm not 100% sure I will even do bio and pre-med but for right now that is what I want) I am trying to decide between VT which gave me a full ride and UVA which is 2-3k more expensive. I like UVA's environment and its affiliated hospital however, know that VT will allow me to get a higher GPA. I would love anyone's opinions and advice. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

VT, 100%. A full ride and better GPA protection is a no-brainer

Reactions: 2 users
If you weren't premed, which school would you choose?

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to UVA and was premed there so if you have any questions feel free to DM me!

I personally had a great experience at UVA so I can speak about my time there a bit. I loved Charlottesville / the UVA campus is beautiful, and I think the school has a very work hard play hard environment, which for me I valued. That being said, the pre-med track is tough, and a lot of my friends dropped. Especially first and second years, the lecture sizes are extremely large and it can get very competitive. I think this would be the case at any large school though, so you will probably experience this at either UVA or VT. Once you get through main prereqs, I think courses get a lot manageable and fun. Third and fourth years there are a lot more smaller biology seminars on a range of topics which are very interesting and taught by a ton of great professors / researchers. Plus UVA has a great comm school if you end up wanting to do more business.

Overall though, I would advise going to the place that you think that would make you the happiest and provide you the resources / type of community you value most :)

Reactions: 1 user
Lol @ people saying here that VT is easier to get a solid GPA. Anyone agreeing with that mentality really does fit will with UVA and should go there. It has two of the most competitive engineering and science programs in the nation and is a school that does not inflate GPA while oftentimes setting a high standard for achieving A's with a 93+ A-range bar.

I suggest you do more research about these two schools and my other suggestion would be that you follow money. If you really will choose UVA because of an ill-perceived notion that somehow it is superior or harder to excel in, then like I said, you deserve to go there and will fit right in.

Lol @ people saying here that VT is easier to get a solid GPA. Anyone agreeing with that mentality really does fit will with UVA and should go there. It has two of the most competitive engineering and science programs in the nation and is a school that does not inflate GPA while oftentimes setting a high standard for achieving A's with a 93+ A-range bar.

I suggest you do more research about these two schools and my other suggestion would be that you follow money. If you really will choose UVA because of an ill-perceived notion that somehow it is superior or harder to excel in, then like I said, you deserve to go there and will fit right in.
Neither school is known for inflation of its science and engineering programs. At least when I was an undergraduate, both schools had similar average GPAs. It’s also not nice to stereotype people that attend a particular school when you’ve never met them.

And to a general comment that goes beyond UVA v. VT, while some schools are known for more grade inflation, the rigor of an academic program varies within schools. There are real hard asses at every school that can’t teach and expect you to infer things never taught as if it is part of the premed gestalt. Avoid those professors (I.e. those that test concepts that are taught or logical applications that are reasonable to expect from an undergrad).

Neither school is known for inflation of its science and engineering programs. At least when I was an undergraduate, both schools had similar average GPAs. It’s also not nice to stereotype people that attend a particular school when you’ve never met them.

I wasn't insinuating that UVA inflates their GPA, I was stating that VT does not do this which is a credible piece of evidence to support the fact that this school is not a "coaster" to get an easy GPA.

I've met plenty of people from UVA. Yes, not everyone is like this, but the overwhelming attitude at UVA that I have encountered is that of elitism + exclusivity with an air of believing they are akin to an ivy league school while being a state institute. It is this same set of bias that led this young OP to believe that VT is the "easier" school to be in with a "guaranteed" higher performance marking rather than UVA which is about on par with what you would encounter at VT.

I wasn't insinuating that UVA inflates their GPA, I was stating that VT does not do this which is a credible piece of evidence to support the fact that this school is not a "coaster" to get an easy GPA.

I've met plenty of people from UVA. Yes, not everyone is like this, but the overwhelming attitude at UVA that I have encountered is that of elitism + exclusivity with an air of believing they are akin to an ivy league school while being a state institute. It is this same set of bias that led this young OP to believe that VT is the "easier" school to be in with a "guaranteed" higher performance marking rather than UVA which is about on par with what you would encounter at VT.
The vast majority are not as you suggest.

The vast majority are not as you suggest.
That is one opinion. I have spent plenty of time around UVA, Charlottesville, students, and alum to have a pretty solid feeling about mine.

late to this thread but i’m a recent uva grad and i loved my experience in cville. completely disagree with the person who said uva is elitist, i’m from a very blue collar mill town and i never once felt out of place there. i also finished up my app cycle and i credit my going to UVA for the success i had in it. if you have any questions about the school feel free to pm me!

Reactions: 1 users

I did not understand the notation at first but everywhere I asked it seemed people believed Tech would allow for a better GPA as it is less competitive than UVA. If that is wrong, could you elaborate please? I would also like to state that if I choose UVA I do not believe I am "superior" as you stated, in fact because of the perception that UVA is full of smart kids whereas I think I am not smart, I think I am scared to choose UVA because of that; that I will fall behind.

late to this thread but i’m a recent uva grad and i loved my experience in cville. completely disagree with the person who said uva is elitist, i’m from a very blue collar mill town and i never once felt out of place there. i also finished up my app cycle and i credit my going to UVA for the success i had in it. if you have any questions about the school feel free to pm me!
Thank you. May I ask how to PM you as your profile is limited? I do not know how to use this website.