Pre Med: CofC vs UVA

Ambitious Orange

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’ve currently narrowed my decision down to two choices: College of Charleston and University of Virginia.

I’m leaning towards CofC for a number of reasons. First off, I got a full ride and may even be getting more money, which I would get to pocket, as I am still waiting to hear about the final decision for some scholarships. UVA on the other hand offered me no money, but my parents are willing and able to pay for it. If I go to CofC, my parents say they would be willing to contribute more money to me potentially going to medical school and be able to be involved in other activities that require money.

In addition, I feel like it would be easier for me to get opportunities such as research placements at CofC. I would be in several special programs, such as the Honors College, that would allow for this. I worry I’d just be another number at UVA and have a lot harder time finding similar opportunities. I feel even though CofC isn’t know for its research as much as UVA, with MUSC being right next door and a lot of CofC people having connections with their faculty, there will be more than enough going on for me as an undergrad (especially since I’m interested in neuroscience). Also, I feel like I would have an easier time getting a high GPA at CofC since its admissions are less competitive, leaving me with more time to do other things.

I just feel like I should be going to UVA since it’s widely considered to be the ‘better school’, but in every aspect except name, CofC seems to make more sense. I guess I’m just holding on to the desire to be able to say something that impresses people when they ask where I go to College, which is silly I know. I would love to hear other’s opinions on my choice. It’s such a big decision, I’m scared I’m going to make the wrong choice. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Seems like you've come to a conclusion already and you just need confirmation. Go to CofC, prestige won't matter in the long run and it's not like it's an unknown college either. I wouldn't want to risk my chances of going to medical school for a "brand name" school.

Reactions: 1 users
Go to CofC. In most cases how “good” the school is less important than how good the student is. As someone who did things “the cheap way” and is a PGY8 and still has >250k in educational debt with the interest ticking, I do not regret the smaller school with the bigger aid package as an undergrad for a second. People at the time couldn’t understand how I turned down Cornell, even if my actual alma mater is a very well respected small liberal arts school. It just doesn’t have the name punch of Cornell.

Also, as far as impressing people, if someone is nosy enough to say anything, telling them you went to the full ride school and showing the maturity to understand the beneficial economics of that in prep for Med school where scholarships are uncommon would be pretty damn impressive to anyone with a lick of sense. But that’s just my 2 cents.

Reactions: 1 user