Pre-med Track 25 year old URM father of two

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jpineapple

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN,
I have browsed SDN since who knows how long in attempts to gather as much information about my future goals as possible; however, this is my first time actually posting a thread. I was wondering on some input from anyone willing to assist me in what I had on my mind as far as a couple of topics.

I was born and raised in Mcallen, Texas which sits at the southern most tip of Texas about 15 to 20 minutes from the Mexico border. This area is known as being huge on medicaid if you haven't seen it on the news from time to time. This area is also known as being greatly undeserved in the physician aspect of health care with,

"the doctor-patient ratio in South Texas, which averages 57 physicians per 100,000 people, compared to the statewide average of 157 and national average of 220 physicians per 100,000 people" (2008 figures)

Link: http://www.setexasrecord.com/news/2...dedicates-medical-school-in-rio-grande-valley

I am a Mexican-American (Hispanic - URM) who grew up in what you would call an economically disadvantaged background with my mother being a single parent earning barely earning about 25K on a good year. Also, out of 6 children I am the only one currently attending college with only 2 of 6 being actually high school graduates.

I have just recently turned 25 on St. Patrick's day of 2012, and am currently pursuing a Major in Biology with a dual minor in Medical Spanish (being already fluent in Spanish) and Chemistry with a projected graduation date in May of 2014, which sets me up to matriculate into medical school Fall of 2014 if accepted. I am planning on taking my MCAT during the spring of 2013 which is basically right around the corner. The G.P.A. that I'm planning to apply with is between 3.4 to a 3.6 which is best and worst case scenario considering that it might be tough taking upper level Bio courses while raising my two children ages 6 and 1. I am and will be working full time as a nursing assistant at nursing home in the Alzheimer's unit which sits right across the street where I live at until I receive my undergrad degree which give me about 1.5 years of hands patient contact experience and good bed side manners. Beside working 35+ hours a week, attending school full time 15-18 hours per semester with 6 - 12 hour summers, and raising two children, I am also shadowing physicians at the free low income clinic here in my hometown with a average of about 8 hours a month.

As for desired medical schools, I am planning on applying to all in-state medical schools in Texas which is about 9 school to include one D.O. school with the University of Health Science Center at San Antonio being my top choice due to the fact that its about 4 hours from home with an excellent family practice residency program associated in my hometown of McAllen granted all goes as planned. The reason I am limiting myself to in-state med schools in Texas is because as a veteran from Texas, I was granted the hazel-wood act which covers up to 150 hours of in-state tuition which hopefully will cover a little under my four years of med school.

Can any of you provide me with advice, words of encouragement, or opinions of what you think admissions committees would view me as, to include chances of me being accepted or ideas to beef up my application. Any an all feedback would be greatly appreciated and thanked.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello SDN,
I have browsed SDN since who knows how long in attempts to gather as much information about my future goals as possible; however, this is my first time actually posting a thread. I was wondering on some input from anyone willing to assist me in what I had on my mind as far as a couple of topics.

Can any of you provide me with advice, words of encouragement, or opinions of what you think admissions committees would view me as, to include chances of me being accepted or ideas to beef up my application. Any an all feedback would be greatly appreciated and thanked.

You sound like you know what you need to do. I'm impressed you manage to juggle all of your school, work, and family commitments, and I'll bet that adcoms will as well. Your numbers don't sound stellar (although they're not terrible either), but I'll bet you'll have good success based on your story, obvious work ethic, maturity, and background. My main piece of advice is to make sure you prepare prepare prepare for the MCAT. Kick some butt on this test, and you'll be golden.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply, I wish I had extra time to throw in some extra community service on the side and/or maybe some more shadowing hours to stand out a bit more but there's only so many hours in the day and my children mean the most to me which is why I do what I can. I believe with the G.P.A. range I have, the MCAT will make me or break me, thanks for the Info and your time once again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your reply, I wish I had extra time to throw in some extra community service on the side and/or maybe some more shadowing hours to stand out a bit more but there's only so many hours in the day and my children mean the most to me which is why I do what I can. I believe with the G.P.A. range I have, the MCAT will make me or break me, thanks for the Info and your time once again.

I can't imagine anyone looking at your application and thinking "This guy isn't doing enough". I'd recommend not adding any more activities, just to focus on doing what you're already doing as well as possible.

I can't imagine anyone looking at your application and thinking "This guy isn't doing enough". I'd recommend not adding any more activities, just to focus on doing what you're already doing as well as possible.

+1 i don't have much to add, just wanna say you have a really inspiring story and seem to be doing all the right things.

1) I wish I had extra time to throw in some extra community service on the side and/or maybe some more shadowing hours to stand out a bit more but there's only so many hours in the day and my children mean the most to me which is why I do what I can.
2) I can't imagine anyone looking at your application and thinking "This guy isn't doing enough".
1) When one is a military veteran, one has already proven one's altruism. Further, I expect there's a good chance that your service provided leadership and teaching opportunities, as well, which will also benefit your application.

How many hours of shadowing do you expect to have by the time you submit your application?

2) I agree. If you can keep your grades up despite the load you carry and get a decent MCAT score, you'll be in a very good place for a Texas acceptance.

1)While in the military I was appointed squad leader to a squad of 8 and held the position longer than anyone else in my platoon. I graduated BCT as squad leader as well and it did offer teaching opportunities.

How many hours of shadowing do you expect to have by the time you submit your application?

By the time I submit my application i should have between 150 - 200 or more considering I want to overload when I have breaks in school such as winter/summer and mid semester breaks.

By the time I submit my application i should have between 150 - 200 or more considering I want to overload when I have breaks in school such as winter/summer and mid semester breaks.
Yowza! Along with your superb clinical experience, that will help you stand out, being well above the average listed. Not that you don't already stand out by being exmilitary.

Thank you. I was kind of unsure of what the actual hour frame was desired or basically average. Shadowing hours is something that I enjoy doing because you get to see a wide variety of health care issues that are very real in your region and how to deal with them emotionally and professionally. Thank you once again for your time.