Pre-med student wanting to do derm...go MD or DO route?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Having said that, you are right that MD derm is a LONG shot for DO students. ACGME derm is the golden goose, and only only 75% of qualified US MD applicants who apply get it. I've personally read some pretty heartbreaking stories on these boards from strong US MD candidates who unfortunately became the '1 in 4' who didn't match.
It's actually a lot lower than 75%. 4 out of every 10 U.S. grad applicants go unmatched. And the heartbreak is definitely very real, I've seen truly stellar students-excellent grades, super high USMLEs, awesome LORs, who got double digit interviews go unmatched.

It's actually a lot lower than 75%. 4 out of every 10 U.S. grad applicants go unmatched. And the heartbreak is definitely very real, I've seen truly stellar students-excellent grades, super high USMLEs, awesome LORs, who got double digit interviews go unmatched.

That really is awful. I read a thread on SDN last year (I think) where a candidate went unmatched and he/she shared their stats/application information on the forums and it was excellent.

Members don't see this ad :)
I met a guy who had step 1 >250, more pubs than me, more interviews than me, and an altogether pleasant personality who did not match. blew my mind when i found out. makes you wonder how these decisions are ultimately made.

my two cents:

after speaking with a good friend that is a do derm resident, i would say do spots are just as competitive, if not more competitive, than md spots.

derm truth = be a rock star to get in

my two cents:

after speaking with a good friend that is a do derm resident, i would say do spots are just as competitive, if not more competitive, than md spots.

derm truth = be a rock star to get in

I've heard that because the DO derm world is small as well, networking and 'who you know' becomes extremely crucial. However, your point remains ... want derm (as MD or DO)? Be good. Be really, really good.