Pre-Med - Looking for Mentor - Any Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eric Ryan

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. My name is Eric. I am currently attending a university in south georgia, studying exercise science, with major emphasis on cardiopulmonary rehabilitation. My major exposed me to the world of healthcare, and after researching many different professions in the field of healthcare , I have decided that I want to attend an Osteopathic Medical school. My current GPA is 3.5, with a 4.0 in my last two years of study ( since I've gotten more serious about my education), and also I have maintained a 4.0 science GPA. I have been advised by a medical adviser and have outlined the remaining coureses I need to take, as well as made preparations to take care of other related responsilbilties (i.e. shadowing hours, MCAT). I do feel at a disadvantage in my efforts in to attend medcial school, becuase of majoring in a "non-science" field. I understand that this is not a major obstacle to overcome, however, I would like to confer with and model my attemps after a physician(s) that has attended medical school after having acheived a bachelors degree in an exercise or health related field. I would appreciate any reference that anyone may be able to provide to me about where I may find such a mentor. In closing I would like to say that I love health and exercise, and I hope to someday have the opportunity to provide healthcare through a medical education and an Osteopathic scope of practice.

Members don't see this ad.

Well Eric you have come to the right place.. This is a really good place to set up networks for you to acheive your goals. It seem as though you have thought your decision out. I would advise that you do the initial steps that a premed has to do.. But it's not absolutely required to graduate with a degree in a science field. Not that I know of anyway. It is pretty much required to do well on your science courses.. The admissions commitiees may scrutinize your science grades more because of your degree, (I hope not) in a "non science" field. But grades and MCAT scores are only a part of piece of the med school puzzle. If you do well in your science courses,get a competitive MCAT score, and have as decent amount of experience in the health care setting (volunteering, shadowing, etc.)you should be in a very competitive situation, regardless of your degree.
Good luck,
Duke

Eric,
Although I'm afraid I don't know a good physician mentor for you, I wanted to let you know that your major should not be a problem at all. I double majored at Colorado State with degrees in Exercise and Sports Science and Biology. I was, however, asked at my AZCOM interview if I planned to work in the field of sports medicine because of my undergraduate interests to which I replied no. I was actually answering honestly as I hope to practice in the primary care field, but I wonder if it would have made any difference if I had said yes. Anyway, just some food for thought. Good luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Eric. Where in Georgia do you attend school? I am also a fellow South Georgian.
smile.gif
Good luck with Osteopathy!
smile.gif

I am not a physician; but I hope to be an osteopathic one when I grow up!!

Anyhow, I wish the best of luck and success in your endevours. Just remember, this is a HIGHLY subjective and seemingly random process...but you should unencumbered by your degree. The 'numbers' are only a part of the game, and apparently a less significant factor with the osteo schools. DO schools tend to evaluate more of the whole person...something that is very advantageous to non-traditional applicants such as myself.

Besides, after nearly 14 years in healthcare fields, 9 as a respiratory therapist specializing in pedi-ICU/ER/Trauma, I firmly believe the Osteo philosophy is more on track than the traditional allopathic one. How else can you explain the allopathic school's HUGE push to incorporate things considered to be traditionally Osteopathic?

Sincerely,

------------------
'Old Man Dave'

Eric --
I've read a LOT of info in the last couple of months, and all the admissions criteria info I've read suggest that DO schools prefer a well rounded student body. So, I'd say your chances are just as good, if not BETTER, than just a vague Biology degree. One passage read, "It's kind of like a football team. If you have 500 running backs, and only 2 kickers, the kickers have much less competition for the starting position." Granted I'm like you, trying to prepare for the application process, but that's what I've gathered in my research.

Gard

Thanks for the information and encouragement to those who have replied. Also, SD I attend Valdosta State University, a division of the University System of Georgia. It's located about 30 minutes north of Georgia/Florida line.

Eric,

I'm living proof that a science degree isn't mandatory. I have a B.A. in international business, with a minor in anthropology and I was accepted to 2 DO schools. I have no graduate level science courses and just average MCAT scores. What everyone has said previously about diversity is the key. Numbers help get you an interview, but you as a person get the acceptance. Good luck to you and congratulations on starting your research early in the game. Information is a powerful ally in this process...

Stef
UOMHS '03

[This message has been edited by Kansai (edited 03-01-99).]

Eric,
Go for it! I dedided to apply to DO schools VERY late in life! I am 47 years old and
was accepted to three schools. DO
schools look at more than grades and
MCAT scores, although these should be
competitive. I really believe they want
a well-rounded person - lots of experience
in a variety of areas. I am finally going to
be able to live my dream and you can too,
if you have a positive attutude about the whole process. Somewhere out there
is an admissions committee member who
will find something unique about your
application. Good luck and when you
seem to get discouraged like I did, keep