Pre-Med couple, unaware with what to do

brdu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My boyfriend and I have been together since sophomore year of high school. We've known each other since eighth grade. We both attended different high schools and are now attending different colleges for freshman year. He is moving away while I'm staying at home and taking advantage of the local community college (mainly because tuition prices). My boyfriend doubts me due to decision in going to a community college and treats me as if I have less potential than him (we both want to become physicians). I don't know whether to continue with this relationship because of his doubts in me. A significant other is supposed to be supportive, right? I work my behind off in effort to transfer to a good UC. He is at a CSU. Why would my first two years of undergrad matter when I do extremely well and get into a UC? He has gone far enough and has even said that I cannot acquire a M.D. degree I love him a lot, but I need advice. I have enough stress and this just adds to it. Opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If anyone treated me as if I had "less potential" than them or, even worse, flat out told me that I couldn't achieve something just because I started off in a community college, I'd drop them like a hot potato.

Now, there is something to be said for significant others helping you be realistic about your goals. There is nothing wrong with that. But flat out treating someone like they are the lesser person isn't acceptable.

Your soon-to-be-exboyfriend sounds like a douche. Drop him and find someone who sees your potential and doesn't treat you like he's better than you.

Is CSU a good school? Never heard of it.

Just a typical small, public state college, not like UC's. There are many CSU's all over California, in different cities. I went to one, graduated with a 3.9 GPA. The benefits of a school like this are smaller freshmen/junior classes and professors are not research fanatics, so they actually try to teach. Also, if you do good in class they will remember you for LOR's. Downside is the schools are not prestigious like some UC's or Private Cali schools. Big fish in a small pond vs small fish in a big pond type deal, depending on how you want your application to look.

Seriously, the guy sounds like a loser. When my wife wants to pursue something (no matter what it is or how silly or unrealistic it seems) we talk about it, weigh the pros and cons and what it'll take to accomplish it, and if she still wants to, I back her 100% and do whatever I can to help her achieve her goal (like starting her own business, something she did earlier this year)

Seriously, the guy sounds like a loser. When my wife wants to pursue something (no matter what it is or how silly or unrealistic it seems) we talk about it, weigh the pros and cons and what it'll take to accomplish it, and if she still wants to, I tell her to get back in the kitchen and make me a sandwich.

:eek:

Even if you both become MDs, I imagine he will still think less of you because you started at CC. What if you don't get into a prestigious a med school as he does? Or even worse, what if you get into a more prestigious med school than he does - that's going to hurt his ego big time.

I'm not seeing a way this can get better. Time to peace.