Pre-med at Boston University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EmDeeAZ

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a high school senior considering studying biomedical engineering on a pre-med track at Boston University. Anyone know how it is for pre-med as far as research opportunities, advising, and clinical experience opportunities? I am already fairly certain that it does not have any grade inflation, especially in lower level classes. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey @EmDeeAZ, I think you should probably ask these questions to the BU career advising office. They can probably put you in touch with students and it would be much more efficient than finding one this way.

You’re right that there’s definitely no grade inflation. Pretty sure BU is notorious for grade deflation. Maybe med schools take this into account when considering GPAs from BU? Not sure though.

Just study whatever you love and wherever you would love to be. An engineering degree at a school known for grade deflation may not result in the most competitive GPA for med school apps but if you’re passionate about whatever you’re studying I’m sure you’ll do fine

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi!
I'm actually a BU student graduating in September.
Based on my personal experience and also what I hear from others, being pre med overall is good at BU because you have A LOT of resources and opportunities available since the city is congested with hospitals, clinics, labs, etc. Also the pre med club and pre med office constantly send out emails about jobs, volunteering, shadowing, and research opportunities.

Advising, however, in my opinion is meh. I've had a few different advisors but stuck to talking to only the Dean of Pre Med office since he's seems to be the most knowledgeable and scrolling through SDN regularly.

As for classes, idc what you hear but most people at BU know that grade deflation is real for the intro classes specifically for intro chemistry and biology (aka the weed out classes) so make sure to read up on RateMyProfessor to find the best prof teaching that semester if you want to do well. The upper level classes are reasonable in comparison. Also, as I spend more time at BU, I figured out which STEM classes to take that are likely to be GPA boosters.

For BME, its actually a very common combo from what I hear since a lot of the major requirements are pre med requisites.
Hope this helps!!

You’re right that there’s definitely no grade inflation. Pretty sure BU is notorious for grade deflation. Maybe med schools take this into account when considering GPAs from BU? Not sure though.

Just study whatever you love and wherever you would love to be. An engineering degree at a school known for grade deflation may not result in the most competitive GPA for med school apps but if you’re passionate about whatever you’re studying I’m sure you’ll do fine

I apologize for my rant, before i write all this down so far warning, before reading on...

This myth of grade deflation really needs to stop. It is causing people to blame bad grades on others rather than their own study habits. I am a BU Alum who graduated with a great GPA, I know a bunch of people that graduated with a great GPA. The only people that were complaining about grade deflation were the ones who did not understand what it meant to work hard, and really did not work hard by any stretch of the imagination. Many of them would treat school like a part time 20 hour a week job, or a little more, that's really not working hard.
Also there needs to be clarification on the topic of schools taking this BU is harder into account. Medical schools do not care that BU is "tough" they will not take it into account, because in all honesty it is not really any notable bit tougher than other schools of similar ranking. These are two myths that run rampant among bu pre meds, and it needs to stop it creates an intolerable culture