Pre-lim year vs. categorical

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rudy Guliani

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody,
I'm sure I'm going to sound stupid asking this, but what is the difference between a pre-lim year and a categorical? I see posts from people saying they are going to do a pre-lim vs. a categorical, or vice versa, and I just don't know what the two things are. Thanks,

RG

Members don't see this ad.

If you do a prelim year, that means you are simply doing one year in the field prior to a more specialized residency. For instance you can do a prelim year of medicine, surgery, fm, peds, etc. prior to a rads or derm residency

A categorical track is if you want to actually go into that field. So if you enter a medicine or surgery residency with the intention of finishing it then you are on the categorical tract.

Prelim/Categorical interns will meet during their intern year.

I will add that the prelim or categorical designation is a designation given by the program for those internship spots. So if you do a prelim in surgery and decide you want to stay you don't suddenly become categorical, the program has to accept you to a categorical spot (or make one for you). So it's not just semantics, there is a difference between them.