pre-lim SOAP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IH8ColdWeath3r

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am a Osteopathic student who applied to EM. I am thinking that there is a good chance that I don't match and I am trying to think of back up plans. I received a very limited number of interviews due to a red flag on my application - I failed the COMLEX PE (equivalent to the CS). I retook it and passed. I have no idea why I failed the first time. I have never failed a rotation, OSCE, or simulated patient encounter. That is why my school let me retake the exam and I passed.

Background information: Step 1 and step 2 both between 220-230, Comlex Level 1 and 2 500+. Went on 3 EM away rotations, the last of which I got an exceptional eval that stated I functioned at level of PGY-2, would be a great fit for EM residency. The other two, both were high pass I believe. Regardless, I received very limited number of interviews, and was told it was due to the fact that I failed the PE once.

My plan, in the event that I do not match, is to apply to IM Pre-lim program through the SOAP in order to reapply for EM the following year. This is why I am going to try to apply to IM programs that have an EM residency.

Is this a feasible option? Will any medicine pre-lim programs give me a shot given that I am going to be applying back to EM the following year? All of my letters are SLOEs (Standard Letter of Evaluation) - a standardized letter for Emergency Medicine, so should I re-write my personal statement? Does it now need to be tailored to IM?

Thank you all so much for your help and insight!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I am a Osteopathic student who applied to EM. I am thinking that there is a good chance that I don't match and I am trying to think of back up plans. I received a very limited number of interviews due to a red flag on my application - I failed the COMLEX PE (equivalent to the CS). I retook it and passed. I have no idea why I failed the first time. I have never failed a rotation, OSCE, or simulated patient encounter. That is why my school let me retake the exam and I passed.

Background information: Step 1 and step 2 both between 220-230, Comlex Level 1 and 2 500+. Went on 3 EM away rotations, the last of which I got an exceptional eval that stated I functioned at level of PGY-2, would be a great fit for EM residency. The other two, both were high pass I believe. Regardless, I received very limited number of interviews, and was told it was due to the fact that I failed the PE once.

My plan, in the event that I do not match, is to apply to IM Pre-lim program through the SOAP in order to reapply for EM the following year. This is why I am going to try to apply to IM programs that have an EM residency.

Is this a feasible option? Will any medicine pre-lim programs give me a shot given that I am going to be applying back to EM the following year? All of my letters are SLOEs (Standard Letter of Evaluation) - a standardized letter for Emergency Medicine, so should I re-write my personal statement? Does it now need to be tailored to IM?

Thank you all so much for your help and insight!
Or scramble into a TRI if you don't match.

Just go into a TRI and work from there. Bonus if you find a TRI at a site with an EM program