Pre-interview dinner dress code

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trastuz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if some residents/attendings familiar with admissions could chime in on appropriate pre-interview dinner dress attire. Even when the PC says "informal" or "casual" what does that mean?

If the invitation says "casual" does that mean jeans are ok? Or is it always a khakis vs slacks thing? (I'm a guy.) Button up shirt is a no-brainer but what about the tuck?

If the invitation says "business casual" does that eliminate khakis? Tuck is obviously mandatory here.

I've heard people in other specialties advise not to be too stuffy, i.e. jeans and a nice shirt, but also heard people say that if you don't wear slacks to every dinner you'll feel like an idiot. Better safe than sorry or does "safe" = stuffy?

Members don't see this ad.

Just wondering if some residents/attendings familiar with admissions could chime in on appropriate pre-interview dinner dress attire. Even when the PC says "informal" or "casual" what does that mean?

If the invitation says "casual" does that mean jeans are ok? Or is it always a khakis vs slacks thing? (I'm a guy.) Button up shirt is a no-brainer but what about the tuck?

If the invitation says "business casual" does that eliminate khakis? Tuck is obviously mandatory here.

I've heard people in other specialties advise not to be too stuffy, i.e. jeans and a nice shirt, but also heard people say that if you don't wear slacks to every dinner you'll feel like an idiot. Better safe than sorry or does "safe" = stuffy?

Casual: jeans are fine, No tuck necessary.

Business casual: slacks/khakis, dress shirt tucked.

I will go business casual.
Try to look professional. Do not overdo (don't go with suit or tie). On the other hand, don't be very casual. Jeans may be OK, but I avoid them.
This is the first impression you make on people, esp chief residents.
Don't do crazy things. Be friendly, but at the same time professional.
After-all, medicine is a professional relatively conservative environment.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will go business casual.
Try to look professional. Do not overdo (don't go with suit or tie). On the other hand, don't be very casual. Jeans may be OK, but I avoid them.
This is the first impression you make on people, esp chief residents.
Don't do crazy things. Be friendly, but at the same time professional.
After-all, medicine is a professional relatively conservative environment.

Completely agreed. It has been getting colder so I went with nicer pants and a button down w/ a sweater on top. I might throw on a sport coat (herringbone) and scarf (plain) if I get a NE/Midwest interview to fend off the wind chill and keep it classy.

man none of my programs have even had a pre interview dinner....

Reactions: 1 user
casual - nice jeans and a button up (untucked) or sweater if it's cold
business casual - slacks and a button up (tucked)

Most places said casual and a couple business casual and one said suit jacket/sport coat required

casual - nice jeans and a button up (untucked) or sweater if it's cold
business casual - slacks and a button up (tucked)

Most places said casual and a couple business casual and one said suit jacket/sport coat required
Who the heck said suit jacket/sport coat?

Just an update for future applicants: I went to ~15 rads dinners and ~5 TY/prelim dinners and at every single one there was at least 1 resident (usually many/most) in jeans - including higher end places and Mayo. If the invitation says informal/casual/relaxed etc. put on a nice pair of jeans and a nice shirt but don't feel like you have to wear slacks.

Also, I met very few residents at any of the places I interviewed that seemed passive aggressive enough to be upset about or report the fact that you wore jeans to a dinner. In general, residents everywhere are cool and are just there for free food and to hang out. They don't care what you wear.

Just an update for future applicants: I went to ~15 rads dinners and ~5 TY/prelim dinners and at every single one there was at least 1 resident (usually many/most) in jeans - including higher end places and Mayo. If the invitation says informal/casual/relaxed etc. put on a nice pair of jeans and a nice shirt but don't feel like you have to wear slacks.

Also, I met very few residents at any of the places I interviewed that seemed passive aggressive enough to be upset about or report the fact that you wore jeans to a dinner. In general, residents everywhere are cool and are just there for free food and to hang out. They don't care what you wear.

QFT. Same exact experience in all my pre interview dinners.

QFT. Same exact experience in all my pre interview dinners.

I went to my first pre-interview dinner wearing jeans and no-tuck button-down. All the other applicants wore slacks and a dress shirt, tucked (meanwhile, the residents just wore the equivalent of t-shirts with collars and jeans). So the next pre-interview dinner I had, I wore slacks and a tucked dress shirt. Everyone there (including applicants and residents) just wore casual clothes--jeans, t-shirts, sweat shirts, and I felt really overdressed for such a casual event. So the third pre-interview dinner I went to (which I checked to make sure it took place at a pub), I wore jeans and a no-tuck button-down again. Everyone there, including residents and applicants, wore slacks and dress shirts tucked.

In none of these cases did the email invitations mention anything about dress.

This process makes no sense.

Reactions: 1 user
Are these actually dinners with interviewers, where you chit chat with interviewers, even before the actual interviews? Geeez, lucky I never had to go to any of them. Would have totally killed my appetite.

I was never brave enough to go with jeans. IMO you can't go wrong with slacks and a button down. Tie is really overkill.

Just dress nicely. You're trying to make a good impression. Err on the side of overdressing rather than the opposite. No need to wear a suit or tie, but look nice.

I personally wouldn't wear jeans, but that's just me. And I would also tuck my shirt in.

Are these actually dinners with interviewers, where you chit chat with interviewers, even before the actual interviews? Geeez, lucky I never had to go to any of them. Would have totally killed my appetite.

Yeah, I had only one where the interviewer (chief resident) was at the dinner. I didn't mind...he was pretty cool and their program is probably going to be at the top of my list after I'm done interviewing.

Another pre-interview dinner had the PD come and I think some people interviewed with him...I did not. Barely talked with him as he stayed at one table with several applicants while the rest of us were with the residents.

Anyway, I always wear slacks and a dress shirt. I don't bother thinking about whether I'm dressing down or up compared to others and have never cared being the only one not wearing jeans. This stuff really doesn't matter. Just show up to the dinner more than anything.

If they said the level of dress, I went with that (naturally). Sometimes I'd just look up where we were eating and dress accordingly. I usually just wore a nice pair of jeans and a sweater or the equivalent with non-gym type shoes. My thoughts were that if everyone there was more dressed up, then our personalities probably wouldn't match anyway.