Pre-Interview Dinner Dress Code

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrRads

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have my first pre-interview dinner next week and was wondering what people typically wear. I know it says casual, but what does that mean? Is an untucked button-down shirt with jeans okay or is it more of a khakis with a tucked-in shirt type of deal?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

I have my first pre-interview dinner next week and was wondering what people typically wear. I know it says casual, but what does that mean? Is an untucked button-down shirt with jeans okay or is it more of a khakis with a tucked-in shirt type of deal?

Thanks!

I'd stick with the khakis and the tucked in shirt to be safe.

I've been wearing nice jeans with a button down and the sleeves rolled up. no issues there. just be yourself...unless that means wearing jean shorts.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I've been wearing nice jeans with a button down and the sleeves rolled up. no issues there. just be yourself...unless that means wearing jean shorts.

wait I can't wear jorts? oops...

One of the residents at an interview earlier this week was disappointed that none of us showed up in a Halloween costume....

Here's an idea: wear whatever you'd normally be comfortable in for a casual night out. If you don't feel like you fit in after the dinner, maybe that program is not the best fit for you.

This is residency. Stop trying to fit in and start finding a program you'll be comfortable at.

Reactions: 1 user
Here's an idea: wear whatever you'd normally be comfortable in for a casual night out. If you don't feel like you fit in after the dinner, maybe that program is not the best fit for you.

This is residency. Stop trying to fit in and start finding a program you'll be comfortable at.

So my strategy is the following: I wear a nice (casual) shirt. I put on comfortable pants and my favorite pair of snickers (5 years old, dirty as hell, but my favorite). The kicker is that I go 25 min before everyone. By the time they show up, I am already seated, so they see only the nice shirt. 5 min in the dinner, nobody really cares what my pants or sneakers look like. It has worked so far.

Reactions: 1 user