Pre Hospital to Hospital

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rathman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone interested in going to med school or PA school from an EMS background? :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Is anyone interested in going to med school or PA school from an EMS background? :rolleyes:

I'm 2nd year at a MD school. There are lots of people on the board that were EMS. I was a career medic for several years, EMT before that.

EMS background really isn't that helpful for medical school, the learning is just so much more in depth. Some say it will help with clinical years, but honestly, there are lots of people who never did EMS that are great clinicians.

Good luck! If you have any questions we will be glad to help you out.

lots of pa's are former emt's/medics. it is a great background for pa school. you will be miles ahead of your classmates on clinicals as a former medic.

Members don't see this ad :)
:thumbup: I am in the Navy Reserve as a hospital corpsman, and I have a deep understanding of the clinical side of medicine. In the early years of a medical program I realize that EMS can't be that big of a help, but EMS is just what I'm doing for now, and MD is my future.
The ability to interview a patient, and be able to draw a diagnosis or even a place to start research is critical, and is a key element of any medical field where one works directly with patients and interviewing them.
Would you agree?
I'm working on a ba in Biological Science, and there is no part of EMS that helps me there.

I am a paramedic and I plan on attending medical school in the near future. From what I understand from speaking to admission committee members and reading various things about medical school admissions ems may help or hurt an applicant... I am not surprised. Evidently, past ems professionals can come across as weird "sirens in the night" type of people. So, with that said, I would advise you to become as rounded as possible and don't focus solely on your ems career. This is something that I am striving to do as well.

Good Luck. RB

i'm an emt-b in ma and i have been since 01 (graduated in '04 from undergrad...i got my ticket while i was in college) and i'm starting med school in august. can't wait!

Having done the PA and medical school route both, I can assure you that being a military and civilian medic always got me more attention than anything else among admission committees. It gave me the framework of "autonomous" patient care that gave me the confidence to always be one step ahead of the learning curve at all levels. I don't have a caduceus and a star of life tattooed on my arm for nothing!!! :laugh:

While the reception from admission committees was highly variable, my background as a paramedic has been a HUGE help in med school.

It's true that the body of knowledge you acquire in EMS pales in comparison to what you're expected to master as a med student, but having a frame work of how it all works together is a big help. Basic sciences and physiology made a lot more sense to me since I could see the "big clinical picture".

Also, you won't be worried about your ability to take BPs like most of your classmates :)

I agree..my experience as a medic was a big help to me during third year. I wasn't as intimidated as my classmates when it came time to present pts to attendings. Also, your communication skills with pts will be miles ahead of your classmates. I wouldn't trade my street experience for anything.

I loved and enjoyed my 10 years in EMS. I came to med school b/c I thought I wanted to be an ER doc. Alas, after a couple of kids came along and I got sick and tired of working nights & birthdays..I chose something a little more structured (radiation oncology of all things!). It's hard as a medic to think about any other pathways than EM, surgery or anesthesia..but I encourage you to broaden your horizons once you get to med school. Look around a bit..it's not as painful as you might think at first! Try to imagine yourself in the ER in your 40's & 50's. I have friends who could NEVER imagine themselves anywhere else at any age than the ER..if that's you, go for it. I found out, shockingly, that it wasn't for me. However, my experience in EMS has given me valuable life experience and I have a lifetime of stories and memories that many of my classmates do not. Best of luck

While the reception from admission committees was highly variable, my background as a paramedic has been a HUGE help in med school.

It's true that the body of knowledge you acquire in EMS pales in comparison to what you're expected to master as a med student, but having a frame work of how it all works together is a big help. Basic sciences and physiology made a lot more sense to me since I could see the "big clinical picture".

Also, you won't be worried about your ability to take BPs like most of your classmates :)

I whole-heartedly agree with these statements. Having a background in EMS has been invaluable so far. Whether it's because of being comfortable with patients and presenting (we do early clinicals and simulated patient exams early, here), or from having a basic clinical foundation, I definitely feel as though I have a [small, but distinct] advantage over some of my classmates that just went straight through undergrad without any actual clinical experience. However, don't take that as an excuse to not study as hard as your fellows...that will bite you in the ass in short order.

I was in EMS for 5 years prior to going to medical school. The paramedic training helps little during your first two years at school, but it helps a ton in the last two years. The only benefit that I had during the first 2 years is with our cardiac section. It took a lot of my classmates a long time to learn the rhythms and ACLS algorithms, and I was able to focus more on other things. In the clinical years the paramedic training helped me a ton. It really helps that you are comfortable with patients. Some people who have no medical background really need some time to get used to touching patients. Sounds silly, but we all have been there, the first few calls as a EMT-B student can be overwhelming! My medic training also helped a ton in codes. Usually in codes the medical students MAY get to do CPR, but usually get shoved into the corner of the room or back into the hall. I was able to intubate on a few of the codes in my first month as a 3rd year because the resident I was with knew I was a medic and taught ACLS, so he pushed me up to the front and let me do everything. I think my EMS experiences helped me the most with internship. I really wasn't freaked out like most interns are when a code was called, or other emergencies on the floors. As you move on in your training, the EMS training helps less and less, but still does help some. Being in the ED as a 3rd year resident now, I know what it is like in the field. So instead of criticising (sp??) the medics who bring in a trauma with only one IV, I understand why they don't.
Sorry for the rambling, was on-call last night and am a little tired at this point!