Pre-Dental vs. Pre-Med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Ortho

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a pre-med student currently. I recently thought of the idea of maybe applying to dental school instead. I know the requirements are the same for both. What made everyone decide to go pre-dental rather than pre-med? Im going to try to shadow some dentists so i can figure out if dentistry is something im interested in. I really want to be a surgeon of some sort, so maybe dentistry is the next best thing. I really like to work with my hands and i really like to help people! What do you all think? What are your reasons for going pre-dental? What makes it a more appealing profession than medicine? Do you just love teeth? haha. Let me know your opinions!!

Members don't see this ad.

Dr. Ortho said:
I'm a pre-med student currently. I recently thought of the idea of maybe applying to dental school instead. I know the requirements are the same for both. What made everyone decide to go pre-dental rather than pre-med? Im going to try to shadow some dentists so i can figure out if dentistry is something im interested in. I really want to be a surgeon of some sort, so maybe dentistry is the next best thing. I really like to work with my hands and i really like to help people! What do you all think? What are your reasons for going pre-dental? What makes it a more appealing profession than medicine? Do you just love teeth? haha. Let me know your opinions!!

i was pre-med for a while until i made the switch. for me the decision came after i spent time with dr's and dentists. the attitude towards people is generally different. the dentists i spent time with were very personable, humble, and generally nice people. on the other hand, generally (not all dr's are like this), the dr's i spent time with just went in, did their job, and left. another big factor is the lifestyle. dentists and MD's lead very different lives. i want to have a family, and be able to spend time with them. i am not willing to devote all of my time to my job, and miss my family growing up. i am also interested in surgery (oral surgery now), so it is possible to be surgical and go to dental school.

if you were to do a search on "med vs. dental" or something to that effect i know there are tons of old threads you'd find helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
please make sure that u really have the passion for dentistry.
i really dislike people who got accepted to dental sch and dropped out bcos they found this is not for them. dentistry is not an alternative. It should be for those who loves all the gadgets and latest technology and with a will to achieve better health for our patients.

please think about this following question carefully:
what else do u want to do besides being a dentist? then spend a year/yr off to do that. i did that and i came to the conclusion that there is not much else i want to do than being in the dental field.

I'm very intersted in the surgery aspect of dentistry, and from shawdowing, I observed that dentists do a ton of surgery. I like working with my hands, I like making good money, and I like having time for the family and GOLF. My dentistry hobby will pay for my golfing job!