Pre-dental vs pre-med both course work and extracurriculars?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cinfid12

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a biology/pre-med major Im really thinking about applying to dental school now. Medical and dental have always interested me. I've volunteered in hospitals and shadowed doctors and Im trying to get a job in a hospital as well as taken most of my pre med classes. BUT I heard pre-dental is the same thing, are there any additional classes? And what's the best way of getting dental experience? It seems like it would be more difficult to get a job in a dental office.

Members don't see this ad.

As far as extracurriculars, its pretty much the same as dental school as far as I know, at least in Canada. Sports/volunteer/shadowing/leadership experience/awards/etc.

I have done many dental shadowings, following dentists around and just doing observations pretty much. I know that in the US dental experience is an asset but not required, here in Canada most applicants just do shadowing and they are fine, not many have dental experience just because its hard to get a job/internship/volunteer work in dental offices.

Good luck:thumbup:

As for pre-med / pre-dent... the sciences are the same.

The extracurriculars, yep same thing

The only thing you'd need is some dental shadowing, maybe 100 hrs or so.

this is the obvious one, DAT, not MCAT

Why are you changing your mind to go into dentistry? Have you taken the MCAT yet? (If yes what did you get and where did you apply, did you get rejected?). I ask these questions cause they might show up in the same manner on your dental interviews

Good luck