This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IWontStopBelieving

Reaction score
I have a bachelors of science degree in biology. I have an overall undergrad GPA of 3.0 and Science GPA of 2.79. I am retaking my DAT. Based on DAT simulator practice tests, I have been getting 19 to 21 AA.
Please list as many dental schools as possible that you think I have even the slightest chance of getting into. All possible dental schools. I know my stats are low, but there is a slight chance and I want to know which dental school or schools in the USA may accept an applicant like me. Thank You!

(Please don't reply to this thread telling me that I have no chance at all to get into dental school. I already know that my stats are low.) Also, please list any advice you may have for me to increase my chances of getting into dental schools for this current(2020) cycle only.

Members don't see this ad.

You need a successful masters/post bacc to be in contention most likely. Many schools will autoreject apps with less than 3.0 sGPA. Not sure someone can give you a list of schools that “may accept you this cycle” without knowing your full profile. I suggest you look at the ADEA guide to dental schools (buy an online copy), specifically look over the stats comparison of each school, looking at the minimum GPA’s accepted last year. Some schools accept some limited number of applicants with your stats under extenuating circumstances.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
After graduating from university with a Bachelors of science degree in Biology, my overall GPA is 3.5 and my science GPA is 2.9 (without +/-) and 3.0 (with +/- ). I applied to 17 dental schools last year and did not even get an interview from one.

I need to get into dental school as soon as possible, because now I am at an age where time is running out. I need to get married, have kids, and I just want to start my life already. I cannot do any of that until I at least get accepted or waitlisted into a dental school. I do not want to make any longterm decisions until my main life goal of becoming a dentist is secured. Also my parents are very old, and it would mean the world for me to have them see me get into dental school.

What can I do to get accepted to a dental school faster? I know there are no shortcuts, but maybe something that is something close to a shortcut.

Here are some ideas that I have:

- Apply to a masters program at a dental school. ( I was told getting accepted to a masters program at a dental school is easier than getting into a dental school for the actual dental program. I was also told that the masters students usually are guaranteed an interview with a very high chance of getting accepted to the dental program following masters graduation.)

- Keep retaking the DAT until I get a high score maybe somewhere around 24 to 26 max. (I got 14 on my first DAT, yes I know this is very low. Due to an emergency that stretched out to a few months, I only spent 1 full day studying for the DAT.) I am taking the DAT for a second time next month, and the total study time is about 2 months.

- If I do not get in this year, I plan on spending 6 to 8 months studying for the DAT (3-6 hours a day, 5 days a week). I think 6 months of studying at that pace can get me to a 26 overall. After, I would apply to dental school the next cycle, and will submit the application on the first day that it opens.

Please give me advice, I really do not know what to do.

did you do anything during your year off? are you below average, average or above average for extracurricular and volunteering? You started out talking about a low GPA and applying to a master program but IMO, your main focus should be the DAT. I know friends who got into schools with lower cGPA and sGPA then yours; I have never heard of someone getting into dental school with a 14 AA. If you want quick, objectively look at your application and decide if you have any experiences that a dental school would want. 17 schools and 0 invites means something is seriously seriously wrong with your app and I don't think rushing this cycle will improve your chances. Save money and apply next cycle, and don't go into the mindset of taking the DAT 3 times. Take as much time as you need the 2nd time and DO WELL.

Sorry for not being more clear and not including enough detail. For the first time I applied, I couldn't afford to submit the apps for all 17 schools at once. I sent 2-5 applications a month. For the secondary applications, I submitted them late, not later than the deadline. Ofcourse the 14 on my DAT played a significant role, but so did the late submission of my applications.

I just graduated from university in May, only two months ago so all I had the time to do is study for the DAT and shadow for a dentist for about 40 hours (little hours due to business closure because of the pandemic). I applied to dental school only once so far (applied last year while I was a senior during undergrad.) I have been a certified dental assistant since senior year of high school, about 400 hours paid dental assisting, and about 500 hours shadowing at a dental office.

So from what you are saying, it would be a better route to not go for the masters, and instead just do very well on the DAT?
Also you said you have friends that got into schools with lower GPAs than mine (approximately what were their GPAs?), what was their DAT like? and which schools did they get into?

OP, you keep making threads (possibly in hopes of getting different answers?), but honestly the answers pretty much say the same things.
1) You need to get your GPAs above a 3.0. You can either do this via a formal post-bacc program (apply and get accepted to this) or via an informal post-bacc program (aka you take classes on your own at a 4 year university), both of which add to your undergraduate GPAs. Or you can do a Masters program, in which you need to do well (3.7+) to show you can handle a rigorous curriculum. It would lead to a separate, grad GPA.
2) You need to do well on your retake, at least a 21-22AA and above a 20 in every section.

I would not apply until you have at least one of these two things done, ideally both.

If you want the quickest route, it would likely be a Masters program with linkage into the dental school. They have different requirements for interviews and acceptances (like a certain GPA and certain DAT score) than people applying to dental schools the traditional way. You'll need to do your own research on these programs.

Definitely do not take the DAT multiple times - there's a limit and it just looks poor in general, especially compared to applicants that did well on their first attempt. Make this second attempt your final one.

Also, no one is telling you that you don't have a chance, it's just a very poor one at the moment since there are so many qualified applicants and admissions is getting competitive each year. I would take criticism constructively and use it to improve your application.

Slow down.

Is there any reason you are planning to study 3-6 hours a day for 6-8 months only 5 days a week if you don't get in this cycle? Is there any reason you can't consistently spend more than 6 hours a day for 6 days? I would treat studying for the DAT more like a full time job with overtime in and off itself.