Practice Laptop?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trunksvegeta

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am looking to start seeing patients at a smaller office with my secretary at a couple of outside clinics and was wondering if any of you had recommendations for a laptop. I was checking previous threads but they were geared for medical students etc

I prefer windows based as this is most compatible with the EMR with basic functions for front desk/reception to check in patients and check eligibilities etc

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Members don't see this ad.

I dislike seeing threads go unanswered (since I don't like it when it happens to me), so I'll give it a shot. My opinion is your OP doesn't provide enough information to truly answer your question. Are you private practice/owner and thus have the authority to make this selection/purchasing decision? If so, then it's personal preference. If you're not in that position, then defer to company policy and existing contracts/agreements. If it's a decent sized practice, then [ideally] all devices will be on the same Windows domain, and you should be able to ask your practice's existing IT services company (if it's contracted instead of in-house).

If the former and you do have authority, I'm completely ignorant on industry best practices on securing PHI. I read through HIPAA (it's like 80 some pages) and don't remember seeing jack squat about technical requirements, so I don't know how existing medical practices and hospitals secure it. I'm familiar with securing PII for PCI-DSS, SOX, GLBA, and other regulations, just not HIPAA PHI or PII.

Is your EMR completely web based? If so, that's super cool, and you can use whatever your heart desires. I'd use Full Disk Encryption as a matter of best practice.

Is this just one laptop for your secretary? Or for you? Or will you both be sharing it? I guess I don't understand the question since the answer is largely a matter of personal or professional preference. Choose what you like that meets the budget and ideally has long-term stability and reliability.

Edit: Will this just be used merely to check in patients at the front desk, or will it be used in the exam room? A good desktop device and monitor seem more of a win-win (price, performance, ergonomics) unless you really need the laptop.

Last edited:
this question might be better suited for a different forum instead of this one which is more for personal finance and investing

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey...thanks for the advice. Yes for myself and the secretary to use between different mobile sites and the EMR will be web based. I looked into the Microsoft Surface Laptop which looks pretty decent. I may add more as things come along. Thx again!!

I have the HP Spectre and it works very well. Battery life about 10ish hours, fast, no problems. I paid about $1100