Practical IM topics and how to learn them

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Redpancreas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a laundry list of competencies. Can anyone provide any resources to learn these.

Imaging: CXR, Abdominal XR, Abdominal CTs, don't care for chest CTs or MRIs.
Social Work: Indications for LTAC, Acute Rehab, short term nursing care indications and qualifications of each, different insurances and how it influences medications patients can pay for.
Nutrition/Tubes: When is a J-tube indicated? How is TPN adjusted?
HCC: How do I document things appropriately to make my attendings happy?
Insulin: There are so many guides and differing opinions. I just know a couple strategies calculating basal/bolus based on weight and how much sliding scale is required and can manage an isolated DKA patient.

Things I can do: EKGs, ABGs procedure & interpretation, Bowel Regimens, Pain management, Basic advanced CKD/ESRD management, Basic Cirrhosis management, Electrolyte repletion, Venous Access escalation, Basic Vent Management.

Members don't see this ad.

Felson's chest roentgenology is the book for CXR. It's short but important. Then look up random things you aren't used to seeing on radiopedia. Ex. Got a patient with leadless pacemaker you have never heard of? Go look it up.

I have a laundry list of competencies. Can anyone provide any resources to learn these.

Imaging: CXR, Abdominal XR, Abdominal CTs, don't care for chest CTs or MRIs.
Social Work: Indications for LTAC, Acute Rehab, short term nursing care indications and qualifications of each, different insurances and how it influences medications patients can pay for.
Nutrition/Tubes: When is a J-tube indicated? How is TPN adjusted?
HCC: How do I document things appropriately to make my attendings happy?
Insulin: There are so many guides and differing opinions. I just know a couple strategies calculating basal/bolus based on weight and how much sliding scale is required and can manage an isolated DKA patient.

Things I can do: EKGs, ABGs procedure & interpretation, Bowel Regimens, Pain management, Basic advanced CKD/ESRD management, Basic Cirrhosis management, Electrolyte repletion, Venous Access escalation, Basic Vent Management.
Why does it matter what you can do lol were not here to judge you

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Why does it matter what you can do lol were not here to judge you
Specificity. It helps others to help him.

For example, if you send off for outside records, you request specifically the endoscopy reports and the path, and say you don’t want the nursing notes or 20 days of CBC’s. Helps you to get what you want/need.

Reactions: 1 user