Poster finesse

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Waldeinsamkeit

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am presenting a poster at a national conference coming up, and I was wondering what a good font size would be? At a previous conference some were bulleted and others read like full papers. Which is desirable? Any other formatting tips? Are there any good templates out there?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

I am presenting a poster at a national conference coming up, and I was wondering what a good font size would be? At a previous conference some were bulleted and others read like full papers. Which is desirable? Any other formatting tips? Are there any good templates out there?

Thanks.

Generally, most conferences will have recommendations/requirements on poster formats including font size, layout, maximum poster size. I suggest you look at the conference website and find that information. Nothing worse to make a poster in landscape format, only to find that the poster is suppose to be in portrait.

As a general suggestion though, if you can read the poster about 4 feet away from it (typically font 28 or bigger) and can understand the background, methods, results and conclusions without having someone explain it, you're probably in good shape.

Some of this is personal preference. I lean toward having less words--more pictures, graphs, and conclusions. When people have a 10,000 word essay at 14 point font it looks ridiculous. I agree that people should be able to understand what you did and why it's important on the poster, but keep in mind that you will be there. You can explain it to people or answer questions about how you did every detail. It should not be as detailed as a publishable paper.

Reactions: 1 users