Postbacc or Master's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cyanara

Reaction score
I really want to go to dental school but my GPA sucks. I have a 2.67 cGPA right now. If I get all As from now until I graduate and retake a couple of classes, I might be able to finish school with a 3.05. Should I boost my undergrad GPA with a Postbacc or start over with a Masters? Or should I just focus on acing the DAT, building up my ECs, and volunteer hours, and just apply anyway? If you suggest the Masters route, what are the best Masters degrees to help me towards a dental school route, while also providing a good degree to fall back on? I am not interested in SMPs, just traditional Masters

Members don't see this ad.

I really want to go to dental school but my GPA sucks. I have a 2.67 cGPA right now. If I get all As from now until I graduate and retake a couple of classes, I might be able to finish school with a 3.05. Should I boost my undergrad GPA with a Postbacc or start over with a Masters? Or should I just focus on acing the DAT, building up my ECs, and volunteer hours, and just apply anyway? If you suggest the Masters route, what are the best Masters degrees to help me towards a dental school route, while also providing a good degree to fall back on? I am not interested in SMPs, just traditional Masters
Dental schools don't do grade replacement so for whatever classes you retake, both grades will be counted in your GPA. At this point, I would look into a masters.... Still try and get all As from now until you graduate but no matter what undergrad GPA you end up with, do a masters and get a graduate GPA as high as possible (3.7+). You can look at this list here for programs (~* List of Post-Bacc/Masters Programs (EXCEL SHEET) *~) but any science MS will serve you well. Don't do an MBA or an MPH or something else that is not directly science related where you aren't taking hard science courses - these are what you need to prove to dental schools you can do well with a rigorous curriculum.

Reactions: 1 user