Post your "Stupid" moments...aka disasters while being pimped!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMedAdAG

I am so smart. S-M-R-T :)
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
God - I just completely spazzed out today and it was super embarassing - - I'm not used to being pimped since it's my first rotation. So I'm sitting face to face with an R4, R1, and a 4th year student - the R4 asks - what causes tachy in a post-op patient? (this is ob/gyn btw) - my response - uh...... drugs?

Nevermind the blank screen in my head due to my nervousness - How bout pain,hypovolemia, hemorrhage, or arrhythmia!!!??

Oi - I'm dying over here - having a hard time assimilating all that we learned in the last 2 years - man - anyone else have some doozies that made you feel like the biggest idiot on earth?

Thankfully my intern is super nice and said, "Man, I remember when I got put on the spot 3rd year - it's really nerve wrecking - why don't I help you out?"

That was super cool of her - thank goodness for nice interns!

Members don't see this ad.

How about this...going over a pelvis/abd CT scan during my surgery rotation w/an intern and R3. Nevermind that I suck reading CT scans...I tend to mix left with right, spleen with kidney, stomach with liver...

So they show me a radiopaque mass in the middle of the abdomen, and start scrolling images down...or at least I THOUGHT they were scrolling down into the pelvis, but they're actually scrolling up. So anyways, the mass begins in the middle and moves laterally and the intern asks what it is...

I panic :scared: OMG, what could it be...contract enhanced tumor? No doesn't make sense, why would it move...maybe a barium enema, but why look at that on a CT...then it dawns on me! Kidney stone!!!

My intern actually lets out a little chuckle...says try again...after a good minute of silence he says, "OK, thats about as much that I can take...its an NG tube." Crap.

Members don't see this ad :)
I started out 3rd year with an ED rotation. I'll always remember my first two pimp questions.

1. What are the metabolic causes of proprioceptive defects?- I think I had a run of PVC's to that question. Luckily, blurted out B12 deficiency, so I felt pretty good.

2. What are the Ottawa rules? I had no idea.....but now I know them by heart!

I was following two patients s/p stroke. One had recovered completely by day three, and the other had severe unilateral weakness on day five.

My attending asked me, "Is there anything you can tell me about their respective histories that caused Mr. X to recover and Mr. Y to have a poor outcome?"

*long pause*

Me: "different strokes for different folks."

I was following two patients s/p stroke. One had recovered completely by day three, and the other had severe unilateral weakness on day five.

My attending asked me, "Is there anything you can tell me about their respective histories that caused Mr. X to recover and Mr. Y to have a poor outcome?"

*long pause*

Hahahaha.

*long pause*

LOL. That is quite funny.

During a CEA -

Surgery attending: There's the ansa over there.

Me: (Uh-oh, please don't ask me about the ansa. I've never heard of it before.)

Surgery attending: So what does the ansa innervate?

Me: (Stalling for time) Uh, what does A.N.S.A. stand for again? (Remembering back to neuro with the AICA and PICA, etc. and assuming that it was anterior something something.)

Surgery attending: Uh, that's just its name.

Me: Damn.

During a hysterectomy, the attending/resident pointed to a fallopian tube and asked a classmate of mine to identify the structure... He told me that he blurted out, "eustachian tube."

How about this...going over a pelvis/abd CT scan during my surgery rotation w/an intern and R3. Nevermind that I suck reading CT scans...I tend to mix left with right, spleen with kidney, stomach with liver...

So they show me a radiopaque mass in the middle of the abdomen, and start scrolling images down...or at least I THOUGHT they were scrolling down into the pelvis, but they're actually scrolling up. So anyways, the mass begins in the middle and moves laterally and the intern asks what it is...

I panic :scared: OMG, what could it be...contract enhanced tumor? No doesn't make sense, why would it move...maybe a barium enema, but why look at that on a CT...then it dawns on me! Kidney stone!!!

My intern actually lets out a little chuckle...says try again...after a good minute of silence he says, "OK, thats about as much that I can take...its an NG tube." Crap.

Why, just last week I got flustered presenting an abd/pelvis CT to the team. There were 4-5 findings that I wanted to point out from the radiologist's report, and I was going to point them out in order. But, I got my windowing off when I was going to show them the calcifications in the prostate, so I pointed at the first symmetric midline structure that I saw with bright spots. I wasn't paying attention to the fact that I was outside of the pelvis (and I was pointing at the patient's testes - perhaps the penis would have been a good landmark to guide me).

scrubbed in to the OR for the first time - wore my mask inside out the whole way thru the procedure. the scrub nurse finally told me at then end and laughed.

Once on medicine rounds we were talking about a patient with end-stage liver disease, and about treatment options. I said that eventually they may be able to do hepatic dialysis, well, my resident roled his eyes, my pompous medicine attending rolled his eyes, and they said something like that would never work, or don't you know that's only for kidneys. Sounded like that cereal commercial saying, "Don't you know tricks are for kids." I felt really bad, . . . a month ago I googled hepatic dialysis, and sure enough someone has invented it or is working it as a bridge to liver transplant!! I wish I could hunt down the pompous medicine attending and his underachieving residents that only whined about their precious cardiology fellowship and make *them* feel like they don't understand what the liver does!

Once on medicine rounds we were talking about a patient with end-stage liver disease, and about treatment options. I said that eventually they may be able to do hepatic dialysis, well, my resident roled his eyes, my pompous medicine attending rolled his eyes, and they said something like that would never work, or don't you know that's only for kidneys. Sounded like that cereal commercial saying, "Don't you know tricks are for kids." I felt really bad, . . . a month ago I googled hepatic dialysis, and sure enough someone has invented it or is working it as a bridge to liver transplant!! I wish I could hunt down the pompous medicine attending and his underachieving residents that only whined about their precious cardiology fellowship and make *them* feel like they don't understand what the liver does!

Wow.

Another one of your stories about how everyone above you is stupid and pompous, and how you are always right.

We had a girl like you in my class. She didnt have any friends either.

Members don't see this ad :)

Now, how did I know that your post would be about something you did that was super-awesome instead of stupid, despite the title of the thread?

Oh wait, it's every post you've ever made. FYI, your residents and attendings know that you think you're smarter than them.

Your 1) arrogance, 2) inability to know your role, and most importantly, 3) inability to comprehend or accept when you are wrong and where you need to improve, are the reasons you get bad reviews, not because they're trying to "torpedo you" as you insinuated here:

Post #51

Please get some f-ing insight. You can't go through residency and become a good doctor with your current attitude.

Also, since you didn't provide a stupid moment as the thread asked for, I'll provide one for you:

Everything you said in this thread

Wow.

Another one of your stories about how everyone above you is stupid and pompous, and how you are always right.

Dang, you beat me to it. That's what I get for being so wordy.....still, it needed to be said.

Worse than getting pimped is just missing a blatantly obvious fact in your presentation.

Me: "Mrs Jones has a new onset of hyperglycemia to the 300s."
Dr: "What do you think caused that Student Doctor Blaine?"
Me: "Ummm, infection? stress? new onset diabetes?"
Dr: "Or maybe the 80mg of prednisone she is now getting daily."
Me: "yes, that too."

Jeez...

yeah I've had plenty of embaracing experiences being pimped, usually I don't care to get it wrong though..... I just try to work harder to compensate for my utter lack of knowledge. I've learned that if you just don't care about what they think of you, it really dosn't matter how much you get wrong.... you are still happy :):luck:

Now, how did I know that your post would be about something you did that was super-awesome instead of stupid, despite the title of the thread?

It was super-awesome?

**ChildNeuro scratches her head in front of her computer**

But, I'm sorry if I upset you guys, I'll promise to be more respectful on this forum and learn from my mistakes

**ChildNeuro hugs SLUser11 and JPHazelton**

Back when I was starting clinical rotations I was with an anaesthetist. One of his pimping questions was 'What is Blood pressure?' [Or some equally inanely worded question]. I had NO idea what he was talking about and said something like 'err... the pressure of blood... in the arteries'. Anyway he wouldnt quit and was getting more and more pissed off with my reflective answers until he said 'Listen, get out of this OR and only come back when you can tell me the answer'. Long story short all he was looking for was MAP = COx TPR.. I only understood this just as I was being pushed out the door ;)

But, I'm sorry if I upset you guys, I'll promise to be more respectful on this forum and learn from my mistakes

Dont worry about me...Im not upset at all.

I just find it disturbing that you dont see how you are. Youve probably been like that your entire life. :(

First time I went to the OR on Gen Surg, I walked into a case that had already started. My resident starts making motions. I don't get what he's saying. Finally I blurt out, "Sorry sir, I just don't understand what you're trying to tell me."

The attending says, "He's telling you to get out of here and put on a damn mask!"

oops

Really put my foot in my mouth this time (paraphrasing 'cause I block these moments out):

Me: So although she required admission for pain control, she doesn't seem to have any of the red flags for serious causes of back pain

Attending: Good! Why don't you remind us what the red flags for back pain are?

Me: Um, neurologic compromise and uh... I don't know :oops:

Attending: Okaaayy, so how were you ruling out the red flags?

Me: :cry:

Really put my foot in my mouth this time (paraphrasing 'cause I block these moments out):

Me: So although she required admission for pain control, she doesn't seem to have any of the red flags for serious causes of back pain

Attending: Good! Why don't you remind us what the red flags for back pain are?

Me: Um, neurologic compromise and uh... I don't know :oops:

Attending: Okaaayy, so how were you ruling out the red flags?

Me: :cry:

Oh man, I've been there. That happened to me at least 5 times before I figured out I should just start naming things that could ever, in a million years, cause the symptoms I was being pimped on. Eventually they just cut you off, but its slightly better than not saying anything.

Attending: What serious conditions can cause back pain?

HamOn: Neurologic, Pancreatitis, Kidney stone, Aortic Dissection, MI, Ectopic, Somatoform disorder, Pneumothorax, Pott's disease, Bullet wound, Munchausen's syndrome, Swallowed a fork, Exploding esophagus, ...

Attending: Ok, stop talking now.

Actually, maybe that's not a great strategy either.

HamOn

During a CEA -

Surgery attending: There's the ansa over there.

Me: (Uh-oh, please don't ask me about the ansa. I've never heard of it before.)

Surgery attending: So what does the ansa innervate?

Me: (Stalling for time) Uh, what does A.N.S.A. stand for again? (Remembering back to neuro with the AICA and PICA, etc. and assuming that it was anterior something something.)

Surgery attending: Uh, that's just its name.

Me: Damn.

my dearest tool,

thats what you get for stalling! if you don't know, you don't know. AICA, PICA :rolleyes: please, i hate being your colleague. :)

Holy crap! SLU just busted a figurative load on your nappy a$$ head.

Holy crap! SLU just busted a figurative load on your nappy a$$ head.

We have been bustin ChildNeuro hard recently.

But seriously, it's in one ear, out the other. Every friggin post is "Let me share my wisdom with you guys. Now, I'm smarter than everyone above me, and I made it known during my clerkships."

We have been bustin ChildNeuro hard recently.

But seriously, it's in one ear, out the other. Every friggin post is "Let me share my wisdom with you guys. Now, I'm smarter than everyone above me, and I made it known during my clerkships."

Oh, can't we all just get along? It's true she can come off cocky but apparently she's a star, so... :shrugs:

Back when I was starting clinical rotations I was with an anaesthetist. One of his pimping questions was 'What is Blood pressure?' [Or some equally inanely worded question]. I had NO idea what he was talking about and said something like 'err... the pressure of blood... in the arteries'. Anyway he wouldnt quit and was getting more and more pissed off with my reflective answers until he said 'Listen, get out of this OR and only come back when you can tell me the answer'. Long story short all he was looking for was MAP = COx TPR.. I only understood this just as I was being pushed out the door ;)

I'm sorry, but that's a really stupid question and way to vague if he wanted that exact answer. If he'd ask "The Blood Pressure is a product of what two variables?" that's a fair question, but the question he posed doesn't have one correct answer.

Pt with HTN and tons of other comorbidities. Maxed out on ACEI, didn't tolerate Lasix well. Attending to me, "So, what else could we do to lower his BP?"

Me, "Ummmmmmm...."

Attending, "How about upping his beta blocker?"

Me, "Oh yeah...."

Oi - I have a feeling I'm going to be posting a lot on this thread :laugh:

Patient has atalectasis post-operatively and now patient kinda spiked fever and has a productive cough

R: why are we getting a chest x-ray
me: um - you know - make sure nothing horrifying like ARDS is going on
R: do you really think our patient has ARDS?
me: no - ok - well I'd be looking for infiltrates
R: just say 'pneumonia'
me: oh yea :idea:

why does your stupid factor increase exponentially when someone important asks you a questions!!??

Doing a debate over case, which we finished early (not on rotations, but could apply):

Prof: What do we do now? (my mind thought, he's asking since we finished before the designated time)

Me: Go to bed.

Everyone laughed, so I guess it turned out okay. It just shouldn't have happened on a day of an exam and after I've had no sleep for well over 24 hours. :rolleyes:

Wow.

Dear Whichever Deity Watches Over Pre-Med/Med Students,

Pleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease don't let me grow up to be ChildNeuro.

Thank you very much.

Love, mirakate

This thread makes me laugh out loud. :)

The first anesthesiologist I worked with was talking to me about volume status, and asked: "For instance, what would you say about your fluid status right now?"

A silent, bewildered moment passed. Finally I echoed, "My fluid status?"

"Yeah, or anyone's. How would you assess someone's fluid status?"

Oh, assess. Now I get it. He narrowly missed hearing: "Well, I had coffee with breakfast, and I guess that's somewhat diuretic but I'm not really thirsty yet ..." :)

so i'm scrubbing into my first surgery on my second day (ortho case, spinal fusion L4-L5 and L5-S1) and i'm trying desperately to get done scrubbing my hands as fast as possible before the attending gets there to the sink but it's just not working. sure enough, he shows up, looks at me, shakes his head and says, "doctor, why don't you use the scrub with iodine instead of the one that clearly says 'no detergent' on it?" before walking off, leaving me to look like a total *****. it was 6:30 am, and that was the start of a very long day. :rolleyes:

One of my first times on the trauma surgery service down in the Emergency Department doing a primary/secondary survery.... being a good medical student I was ready to do the rectal exam when the patient was rolled.

Finger in....finger out. I hollar good rectal tone, no prostate palpated, no gross blood.

Everyone kind of gets quiet, paramedics are laughing under their breath and everyone is kinda lookin at me when the mid level surgery resident says.... great so our intubated patient on a propofol drip has good rectal tone?

*ugh*

At least I was not the MSIII that was being asked about Gallstone Ileus by a mid level surgery resident and two other MS were there as a witness. The person replied "Umm, that is when you cough up a gall stone and then swallow it back down and it gets lodged in the intestines....." The surgery residents were still telling that story during my fourth year SICU rotation!

This happened today on my pediatric surg rotation:

R6: UCLAstudent, why don't you go read about the stomach, pancreas, and gallbladder. Page me at 11:00. Know everything.
UCLAstudent: Okay, sounds good. (But thinking inside ... what exactly does "know everything" entail?)

At 11:00, I went to the residents' lounge to meet my team. It turned out to be a one-hour pimp UCLAstudent session! Not exactly a disaster, perhaps, but it was pretty intimidating --- kind of like one of those three-on-one med school interviews that people talk about.

Here's to feeling stupid! (now where's that cheers smilie).

Everyone kind of gets quiet, paramedics are laughing under their breath and everyone is kinda lookin at me when the mid level surgery resident says.... great so our intubated patient on a propofol drip has good rectal tone?

Are you sure you don't mean vecuronium or something?

Last time I checked, propofol wasn't a paralytic. Anesthesia and some certified surgery residents use it for conscious sedation all the time......that would take the "conscious" out of the equation.....

Great thread, the gallstone answer is priceless :thumbup:

Surgeon: So, what risk factors did you notice about the patient we just saw?
ifailedmcat: Um, well she was elderly and hypertensive
Surgeon: Anything else?
ifailedmcat: Well, she probably has some difficulty ambulating (I noticed she was wheelchair bound)
Surgeon: Yes, and why do you think that is?
ifailedmcat: Umm.....
Surgeon: How about morbid obesity?
ifailedmcat: She was morbidly obese?

Surgeon smiles and laughs at me. Apparently she was 5'4'', about 300 lbs. and sitting in her gown in a wheelchair, I didn't notice :eek:

This was another medical student on my team during Gen Med. She was finishing up her presentation on a patient towards the end of rounds and it was time to talk about prophylaxis, FEN, and disposition.

MSIII: "So for prophylaxis the patient is on sub-q heparin and a PPI and F,E,N is 250 g consistent carb diet, monitor lytes."
Resident: "Disposition?"
MSIII: "Grouchy"

I'm usually good about not laughing out loud at things that are funny during rounds but I busted up.

Worse than getting pimped is just missing a blatantly obvious fact in your presentation.

Me: "Mrs Jones has a new onset of hyperglycemia to the 300s."
Dr: "What do you think caused that Student Doctor Blaine?"
Me: "Ummm, infection? stress? new onset diabetes?"
Dr: "Or maybe the 80mg of prednisone she is now getting daily."
Me: "yes, that too."

Jeez...

I did something similar today.

Me: "So, Mr. J is now on hospital day #5 for COPD exacerbation, still not significantly responding to current therapy, and now his BP seems to be uncontrolled despite 40mg of verapamil and 10mg rescue hydralazine for BP>150 systolic. My suggestion is to start him on low dose lisinopril."

Dr: "Does he have any comorbid factors?"

Me: "He's diabetic."

Resident: "No. Gluccocorticoid induced."

Me: "Oh yeah. He's also taking 80mg of solumedrol."

Me (inner monologue): "****"

so my attending and i had just finished a vascular access av-fistula on this esrd patient's arm and my attending says for me to write up the post-op orders. oh snap - i'm screwed.

me: well, we should transfer him to the recovery room post-op.
doc: yeah, mmhm...
me: and we should have him on clear liquids.
doc: ok.
me: and he should be ambulating with assistance.
doc: ...
me: uh, you know, as dvt prophylaxis...
doc: (still staring at me with a blank expression)
me: (nervously fidgeting at my scrubs)
doc: did you notice that the patient has no legs?
me: (wtf he was covered by that stupid blanket in the OR) uh, yeah, haha, just kidding...
doc: (still looking concerned that i may one day become a doctor) i'm going to dictate this last case, please just sit still and try not to eat anything off the floor.

dammit, that sucked.

me: (wtf he was covered by that stupid blanket in the OR) uh, yeah, haha, just kidding...
doc: (still looking concerned that i may one day become a doctor) i'm going to dictate this last case, please just sit still and try not to eat anything off the floor.

dammit, that sucked.

I'm sorry, but :laugh:

I know what you mean - I sometimes wonder why we're given short white coats when we begin on the wards. Why not just give us dunce caps and have it done with?

The thing that I've hated most about 3rd year so far is that I feel like I'm constantly trying to guess how the attending would respond, and that determines how I answer. I know that's not the best way to do it, but that's how it goes. For example:

Dr: So, after the interviewing the patient, do you think she is suicidal? Would you discharge her from the unit or not?
Me: (inner monologue) Well, yes...but then what if he asks me how I can guarantee that she won't commit suicide? I don't even remember if I asked about access to weapons...I must have...but how did she answer? F!ck it, I don't know why...so maybe I should answer no. But then what if he asks me to justify the extra cost and extra mental burden on the patient and her family? I don't know how much it costs...how about I just answer 'I don't know'? No, no, bad idea...maybe I'll just say....um....
Dr: Uh...are you still with us? So, would you discharge her or not?
Me: Ye...nnoo...es...no. Yes.
Dr: Uh-huh. Great answer. :rolleyes:

D'oh.

I know what you mean - I sometimes wonder why we're given short white coats when we begin on the wards. Why not just give us dunce caps and have it done with?

The thing that I've hated most about 3rd year so far is that I feel like I'm constantly trying to guess how the attending would respond, and that determines how I answer. I know that's not the best way to do it, but that's how it goes. For example:

Dr: So, after the interviewing the patient, do you think she is suicidal? Would you discharge her from the unit or not?
Me: (inner monologue) Well, yes...but then what if he asks me how I can guarantee that she won't commit suicide? I don't even remember if I asked about access to weapons...I must have...but how did she answer? F!ck it, I don't know why...so maybe I should answer no. But then what if he asks me to justify the extra cost and extra mental burden on the patient and her family? I don't know how much it costs...how about I just answer 'I don't know'? No, no, bad idea...maybe I'll just say....um....
Dr: Uh...are you still with us? So, would you discharge her or not?
Me: Ye...nnoo...es...no. Yes.
Dr: Uh-huh. Great answer. :rolleyes:

D'oh.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:...It happens when you think about your answer too much, I guess part of the proces of becoming a doctor is teaching the student how to trust in his first idea...or to think faster...not sure...anyway, I don't even want to imagine how it will be when I get to those pimpin attacks.

OK...I have been holding off but even I, JPH, have done something like this.

I was a third year medical student...one of my first rotations was Psych.

I had just finished interviewing a patient and was about to write up the consult with the attending.

Attending: "What do you think?"
Me: "Well, he's a nice guy but really weird."
Attending: "Is that your diagnosis...he's weird?"
Me: "No...I dont know what I would call it."
Attending: "Frontal Lobe Syndrome?"
Me: "No, I just get nervous sometimes."
($hit)
Me: "Oh, him? Umm...I dont know what that is."
Attending: "It can make you act weird."
Me: "Thats what hes got."

I did a lengthy presentation on Frontal Lobe Syndrome the next day at morning report. :oops: