Post-SOAP/Scramble Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaribbeanMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I'm currently in the soap right now and not expecting to match tomorrow so I'm trying to figure out my next step.

My end goal is to get into psych (img/decent stats/didn't match) but I doubt there will be many options (if any at all) after the soap ends so I think my next best option is to try and scramble into a prelim year of medicine or surg.

My question is if I approach a program for one of these prelim spots, am I supposed to say that I'm ultimately trying to go into medicine/surg?? Or can I be truthful and say I would like to go into psych but would love hte opportunity to do a prelim year as it could only give me more experience in the long run and blah blah?
I wasn't expecting it to come to this so I really don't know what the best approach is.

Also, my entire app/LORs/etc are all geared towards psych. Will programs even consider me?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Pre-lim spots go to the best-qualified applicant that looks like a team player.
Nobody really cares what your ultimate specialty goal is.
There is a preference for those who have already procured an advanced position.
Many of the positions that appear as unfilled are not going to be filled in the scramble.

Reactions: 5 users
Pre-lim spots go to the best-qualified applicant that looks like a team player.
Nobody really cares what your ultimate specialty goal is.
There is a preference for those who have already procured an advanced position.
Many of the positions that appear as unfilled are not going to be filled in the scramble.

Thank you so much for the response!

Reactions: 1 users