Post-OAT thoughts (warning: very long)

naearls

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished the OAT and I know I had a lot of questions going into it so I thought I would post my experience to hopefully make it easier on those of you taking it soon. I just finished the OAT Any specific questions let me know, just kind of firing off what I remember, which could get a little more hazy as I make progress on this celebratory ale :). Also, if you have anything that you feel is a dumb question on anything don't be afraid to PM me, I had plenty going into today.

Biology
Quite a bit harder than I expected. Really had me worried about how the rest of the test would be. I feel like if I had had anatomy and/or physiology I would have done better in this section. Nothing in particular sticks out to me as something I should have studier harder on, just a number of questions I was not familiar with.

Gen chem
Mostly what I expected based on Kaplan and official practice test (free one on ADA website). Really no calculations that I can remember short of "if the concentration of X is increased, what happens to the rate..." type questions. However, I had one that had a duplicate answer, reported it on the ending survey, so might get fixed. I did have 2 or three questions that I had no idea what they were talking about and one with a diagram that didn't make a lot of sense based on the answers available.

Organic
Fairly similar to official practice test. Only maybe 6 reactions. Lot of concept questions. 2 NMR, no other spectrometry or technique questions. Some sterics questions, nothing on stoichiometry, acidity questions, standard stuff.

Reading comp
This went a lot better than I expected, first two passages were pretty easy, straightforward find thing info in the paragraph type questions. If you go to the tutorial on the OAT website the setup of that section is not very accurate. There is one question at the top of the page, but the reading section takes up the bottom 3/4th of the page and is in the same text format as the questions and the paragraphs are numbered. Much easier than the tiny notepad-style text on the tutorial. When I practiced I would read all of the questions then go back read the section and take notes on each paragraph. Due to the format of the test I found it a lot easier to read the first question, read until I found the answer, then go to the next question and continue reading... This worked a lot better than jumping back and forth between questions. The last passage was a lot harder than the first two because it asked for a lot of inferences and guessing what the author meant instead of simple find the answer stuff. That one I ended up going through the questions until I found a find the answer one, then read the passage. Went back and answered inference questions after I read the whole passage.

Physics
This one took me a little longer to do than in my practice tests. Mostly stuff that I expected. If you are practicing out of Kaplan then there are a lot less calculations. The official one was more on the money. Make sure you know your concepts as these are the bulk of the questions. You don't really need to know equations as much as relationships (ie, if we move the planets x distance apart, what happens to gravity...). For me, equations to know dealt with harmonic motion. Momentum and energy was important as well.

Quantitative Reasoning
I was really worried about my timing on this section because I ran out on every practice test I did. The real exam was easier and I had a little bit of time left over to go back and review the ones I skipped. However, work on your pacing for this because you really do need to move quickly. Skip the ones that will take you more than 30 seconds and come back to them. (you have 67 seconds per question, some will require a lot more, some a lot less). The calculations here were again a lot easier than Kaplan stuff and more in line with official test.

Trig identities, know them. I had 3 or 4 and had to guess cus I skipped that stuff. Know your sin cos in a triangle stuff. 3-4-5 triangles are your friend. Learn to cancel and simplify fractions like Rambo cus you will do a lot and have to do it fast. I memorized area and volume equations but they were given on all of my sections, usually more of an application of them than just a calculation. Learn to estimate things well too, that came up a lot and one of my questions was a simple simplification like "26/53 is almost:" (answer being 1/2). Also, because I know this comes up a lot: there is a calculator that you can bring up. However, it is extremely basic, take the standard windows calculator chop off everything but the numbers, 4 functions, and = sign and thats it. Learn to do everything without it. There were about 3 questions that I did use it for, but could have worked out on my own or estimated and probably would have saved time.

Overall
Concepts and relationships are more important than calculations and equations. Don't get bogged down in calculations on any section, move on and come back to it. Prioritization of easy questions is key. Read all of the possible answers. I had several questions where I thought I knew the answer was A or B until I read E and realized the question was asking something different than I thought. Also, if you don't know what an answer is to one of the chem questions, org especially, check the answers to see if they jog your memory.

As I said, watch your timing carefully. The science sections took me longer on the official test than the practice ones, but I got through them with plenty of time. Don't get discouraged if you get behind, go into triage mode. Meaning that if you don't know it, move on. It is more efficient if you can answer the question the first time because you will lose time rereading the question, redrawing the diagram, redoing simple calculations...but don't get bogged down in a question too long. There are 15 and 5 minute warning reminders, which are nice, but you have to click multiple times to get rid of them (please fix that).

How I studied
I purchased the big kaplan book and went through all of it. Then I made flash cards of the stuff that I knew I was going to need to work on. I hit these really hard. (For example, all the harmonic motion equations were on a card, motion equations, endocrine hormones, ... anything I needed to memorize got flash carded) For org, physics, and gen chem I made a list of all the important equations and made sure I knew them. Org I figured out what reagents were reducers, oxidizers, add carbons to a molecule... I then went through my notes that I took while going through the Kaplan book (which were very sparse as I don't take a lot of notes) and then went through MCAT foundation review notes that I had. These are really an outline of material, but if highlighted stuff that I was not familiar with.

Next up was the Kaplan flash cards. These were much more in line with what came up on the test than the end of section problems. Any flashcard that I did not get or I found the answer particularly useful I set aside to read again. As I finished up with a subject I would do the practice sets in the small kaplan OAT book (don't buy kindle edition, you want to be able to write in it. These were quite a bit harder than the actual test, but they gave me good practice.

Last thing I did was take the official practice test. I did a lot better on this than the Kaplan ones and it was way more reflective of what to expect on the actual test. If you are feeling down with your kaplan test don't feel too bad because the real one is better. I would save the official test for right before real test, the momentum of doing well on that will carry you through to the real test.

Shameless plug-my stuff is all for sale now! PM me for details. It'll go up on ads page in next few days.

I think going into the test with a good frame of mind is critical. Go to the testing site a few days early so you are comfortable getting there. Also, get used to working your brain at the time of your test. If your test is at 8 AM then get used to getting up by 7 so you are ready to go by the time it starts. I have a friend who was used to getting up at 10 and bombed her 8 AM test because she was so groggy. Don't let that be your downfall.

Random bit of info: any clothing your wear into the testing room must stay on your body. It was hot in my room, but if you wear in a hoodie you have to keep it on until your break. You want to be comfortable so dress accordingly. This may be overkill, but you could probably call ahead and find out how hot the room usually is.

Random advice: make sure your dry erase board erases before you go in and ask for a new one if it doesn't. Mine were crap and didn't erase very well, but the new ones were way better. The last thing you need while scrambling on the math section is to struggle to erase your previous work. If you discover that it doesn't erase once you start then raise your hand and ask for a new one.

Results
To be honest I was really surprised with how well I did. I got a 360 AA on the official practice test and 330s on the kaplan ones I took so I was hoping for 350 range. I was pretty ecstatic when the final scores page came up with:

QR: 350
Reading comp: 400
Bio: 350
Gen chem: 400
Org: 360
Physics: 380
Total Science: 380
Academic Average: 370

I really do have to say thank you to these forums for this score because the posts on here really did help me out a lot.

Sorry about the ridiculous length of this post but I tried to put up anything that I thought might help you on test day. Let me know if you have any questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
congratulations! :) if you don't mind me asking, what is your gpa?
3.74 I think this actually helped me because I wasn't stressed over my OAT because I figured that my GPA would carry a slightly lower score than I would like. Because of my highish GPA I wasn't too stressed over my OAT, which I think helped me to focus when it came time for the actual test. Fortunately, I now have both GPA and OAT score on the higher end, but I didn't expect to get a score anywhere near that high. Think I got lucky with questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks so much for all the info. i'm sure i speak for everyone when i say we all appreciate all this info. thanks again :D

Reading comp
This went a lot better than I expected, first two passages were pretty easy, straightforward find thing info in the paragraph type questions. If you go to the tutorial on the OAT website the setup of that section is not very accurate. There is one question at the top of the page, but the reading section takes up the bottom 3/4th of the page and is in the same text format as the questions and the paragraphs are numbered. Much easier than the tiny notepad-style text on the tutorial. When I practiced I would read all of the questions then go back read the section and take notes on each paragraph. Due to the format of the test I found it a lot easier to read the first question, read until I found the answer, then go to the next question and continue reading... This worked a lot better than jumping back and forth between questions. The last passage was a lot harder than the first two because it asked for a lot of inferences and guessing what the author meant instead of simple find the answer stuff. That one I ended up going through the questions until I found a find the answer one, then read the passage. Went back and answered inference questions after I read the whole passage.

Congrats on your high scores on the test.
I'm taking it in less than 3 weeks and I'm worried about RC section. I took kaplan practice and got 260. If you don't mind sharing, can you tell me more about how to get ready for it and how to attack each question. I'm not a good reader to be honest since English is my second language. Is kaplan reading similar to the actual test?
I think you are awesome that you got 400 on RC.

There really isn't a lot you can do to prepare for that section. It really is hard to say how the how the Kaplan compares for that one. I got a 400 on the first kaplan RC test I took, a 280 on the next. So it was really hit or miss for me depending on what passages I got.

I would say that a big key is to watch your timing. Shoot for 15ish minutes per passage. Also, if you are having a really hard time with a passage then skip to the next. I was lucky enough that my last passage was the hardest, so I could take my time with it, but I would have had to skip it and come back if it had been earlier.

As far as the actual questions I would say they were fairly similar to what was on the Kaplan tests, but Kaplan threw in a few that required a calculation, which I did not have on the actual test. Most questions were straightforward "find the information in the passage" type. I had a few questions that did not seem to be explicitly in the passage, but required a bit of chem knowledge. Only the last passage had inference type question, but they were the hardest.

I have been getting a lot of messages from people who are worried about the reading comp section in particular. If your test is soon then I would repeat what I posted above and would also point out this as a good article to read. They specify articles that you have no interest in and taking notes or writing down main ideas.

However, if you have more time then I would say read everything. Reading of any kind will improve your reading abilities. So I would say take an hour or two a day to read something that you are interested in. I know it is hard with classes, clubs, work, etc to find time; but I think pleasure reading goes a long way to help you in any academic pursuit. I was a voracious reader when I was younger so I was confident in my reading abilities when approaching this test. However, if you are someone who doesn't feel that you read well then you owe it to yourself to improve on that. So start with something that you enjoy, find a favorite series or author, and dig in to some books that you are only reading to yourself. Reading of this type will improve your reading ability across the board.

hey nearls, i would like to say thank you for putting this thread up on here. it helped me a lot on my OAT today

the only thing is that i do not remember my actual scores except the AA because the testing center i was at had a broken printer :(
i wish i wrote it down on the dry erase board lol but i have to wait to see my official scores. i would have wrote it down if i knew the printer was broken

hey nearls, i would like to say thank you for putting this thread up on here. it helped me a lot on my OAT today

Good, glad to hear it. I know I was pretty nervous going in so I was hoping to alleviate some of that for people.

the only thing is that i do not remember my actual scores except the AA because the testing center i was at had a broken printer :(
i wish i wrote it down on the dry erase board lol but i have to wait to see my official scores. i would have wrote it down if i knew the printer was broken

That really sucks, I wonder if you could call the OAT center and explain the situation to them and get them to tell you your unofficial scores.

Were you okay with what you got when you looked at it?

Good, glad to hear it. I know I was pretty nervous going in so I was hoping to alleviate some of that for people.

That really sucks, I wonder if you could call the OAT center and explain the situation to them and get them to tell you your unofficial scores.

Were you okay with what you got when you looked at it?

yeah, i got the score i wanted but i kinda wanted 10 pts higher, but im not complaining. i have to call ADA tomorrow and explain what happened so that I might be able to get my scores

Can I ask you what you major in? Just curious, since a lot of people I spoke with (even bio majors) thought the bio section was hard.

I just wanted to ask for physics, although you mentioned was a lot of concepts, do they give you any constants/formulas at all? I was told to memorize all of that but when i flipped through an old kaplan test, it gave me some values, so I'm wondering for the real test.

Can I ask you what you major in? Just curious, since a lot of people I spoke with (even bio majors) thought the bio section was hard.

I just wanted to ask for physics, although you mentioned was a lot of concepts, do they give you any constants/formulas at all? I was told to memorize all of that but when i flipped through an old kaplan test, it gave me some values, so I'm wondering for the real test.

Just to chime in a bit, I'm a psychology major who didn't even take 2nd semester biology. I got a 400 on the bio section and thought it was straight forward. I just think that in addition to memorizing the kaplan book, you also have to use your deductive skills to apply knowledge to novel question types. I doubt bio majors have studied kangaroo rats, but if you see a question on its diet, you can assume it eats something high in fat because you should know that fat has the highest energy per gram. so try not to get too caught up in how much you dont know, but build off what you do know and apply to the question as best you can.

in the physics section there is a button on the bottom right corner that pops up. The information there is worthless because it only has what i THINK was speed of light, earth's gravity, and one more worthless constant you probably already knew. But yeah, i dont remember what was in that button perfectly because as soon as i saw it i just closed it. Wasn't anything helpful IMO.

in the physics section there is a button on the bottom right corner that pops up. The information there is worthless because it only has what i THINK was speed of light, earth's gravity, and one more worthless constant you probably already knew. But yeah, i dont remember what was in that button perfectly because as soon as i saw it i just closed it. Wasn't anything helpful IMO.

yeah i didnt even use the button on physics. i forgot it was there

I really appreciate this post!! I'm re-taking the OAT in 9 days and I'm sort of freaking out at this point. It's always nice to get constant reminders to skip certain questions and manage time wisely. I forgot those things on my first OAT and spent an idiotic amount of time on one question in the gen chem section that completely hurt my score as for QR. What killed me was trying to do calculations the first time seeing the question rather than skipping it and moving to conceptually based questions. But for those who are worried about RC, it's pretty much skimming the passage for keywords. The thing I learned from it was not to read the passage. I know Kaplan was huge on read the passage, take notes, make an outline, then answer the questions but that takes way more time than you have. I went straight for the questions and then skimmed for keywords in the passage that would answer the question. Yes, it sounds like it wastes a lot of time but it worked, I got a 380. But that only works if the questions are straight-forward like "What is the difference between bass clef and treble clef?" So by doing that you're pretty much getting an idea about the passage by not actually having to read the whole thing. That way you can also answer questions based on main purpose and such. So hopefully this method works again.

But thanks again for this post it's really helping me calm down a little... hopefully this time around I can get scores like yours!