Post Match 2020, Looking to the Future

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Patchesochuckles

Reaction score
Hey all,
Just received my match results yesterday. While I'm happy I matched PCCM, I'm a little bummed out that I fell down to by 12th choice. I just had a question for you all. The program that I matched at is a newer (has had one or two graduating classes) community hospital program.

I had dreamed of pursuing an Interventional Pulmonology sub-fellowship at the end of my PCCM fellowship, but feel a bit lost now. Is it impossible for me to match into this field now, coming out of a smaller, new community program?

Any guidance would be super appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

the AABIP website lists 38 IP fellowship programs. Of those, 35 participated in the NRMP this year with a total of 40 positions. All positions were filled with 15 people unmatched.

This doesn't tell you how many people actually applied as those without any interviews would not be counted in these numbers. That being said, it does show that if you get an interview you have a pretty decent shot at matching. There was also a pretty even mix of grad types matching (USMD 15, US-IMG 10, foreign-IMG 10, DO 5).

Just like when applying for residency/fellowship, you can postulate beforehand all you want about your chances, but the only way to actually know is to make yourself the most attractive applicant possible and then apply and see what happens. In your case this would include,

1. Be an overall excellent fellow so the faculty at your home program are eager to advocate on your behalf.
2. Do IP related research during fellowship.
3. Do IP away rotations at programs you are interesting in applying to and make connections.

So you want to work in a major academic center with surgeon hours for internist pay after doing an extra year of fellowship? And you are disappointed this might not be possible to achieve now?

Humor aside, at your community program you may be able to find opportunities that wouldnt exist in academic centers, like scrubbing in with thoracic surgeons for rigid bronchs, ENT/gen surg for trachs etc if you are really proactive. If you think you cant go on without doing rigid bronchs and procedures all day try to network like crazy at places with IP.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users