Post baccalaureate VS SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

onlyingrace

Reaction score
Hello all,

Since I have only received one interview this cycle, I'm beginning to look into ways to improve my application. Although I have fairly decent stats (513 MCAT and 3.7 cGPA), I feel as though I have a red flag. The only thing I can think of is that I received an F in a lab class towards the end of my degree due to missing a hard deadline for the final. To remedy this, I'm thinking of either doing a DIY post bacc for a year or an SMP. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
You do not need to do an SMP for one class. That would be a major waste of time and money for you. You’re stats aren’t an issue from what you’ve posted. How are your EC’s? LOR? How was your writing with your W/A, PS and secondaries?

You do not need to do an SMP for one class. That would be a major waste of time and money for you. You’re stats aren’t an issue from what you’ve posted. How are your EC’s? LOR? How was your writing with your W/A, PS and secondaries?
EC's and LOR's are strong from what feedback I've received, as is my PS. Secondary's might be a tad weaker but nothing horrible. How many units does one usually do for a DIY post bacc? I feel as though just retaking that one course wont show much improvement/commitment.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your gpa isn’t holding you back is what I’m saying so I don’t think a postbacc is going to change anything. How was the school list?

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
CA resident, so applied to all MD medical schools in California, and applied heavily to OOS schools which accepted a large pool of OOS applicants. Maybe a tad top heavy.

That would be my only guess. With those stats and if your EC’s and writing is as good as you say, a top heavy list may be the issue! You can tag goro and other adcoms in this post to have them give their 2 cents!!